How to handle AI using the "coup" to steal your allies?

CivAddict2013

Warlord
Okay, so I was playing a game as Alexander. I had 3 City state allies. Then all of a sudden, like magic I see "English coup in city state" or something like that. Then, to add insult to injury England does ANOTHER coup in another city state a turn later.

Nonetheless I just rage quit.

Is there anyway to counter the AI magically stealing your city states?

You can place your spies in those CSs too and rig elections to boost influence. You can play as Venice and buy them out. You can attack the civ pulling this petty crap out of anger.

You can place your spies in those CSs too and rig elections to boost influence. You can play as Venice and buy them out. You can attack the civ pulling this petty crap out of anger.
Thanks, I might actually just use Venice to buy them out.

The most annoying part was not only that England stole 2 of my city states without warning; but also that she got so much influence I would need 1000 gold to buy them back.

Plant your spies in there and you can re-coup (often turns into a fun coup war that only ends when one person's spy dies - and that person pretty much loses the CS forever at that point).

Venice is indeed better at having the money to re-buy, but Greece is better at keeping all the CS up there since you can get drastically low influence loss per turn (can even get it to 0 with religion).

Plant your spies in there and you can re-coup (often turns into a fun coup war that only ends when one person's spy dies - and that person pretty much loses the CS forever at that point).

Venice is indeed better at having the money to re-buy, but Greece is better at keeping all the CS up there since you can get drastically low influence loss per turn (can even get it to 0 with religion).

Greece also recovers influence twice as fast, even faster with religion, so even if your spy dies, you're only 50 turns away from being almost friends.

You need a counter agent in the city before an opponent tries to coup. You'd need thousands of influence to have a good chance at stopping a max ranked spy from successfully couping your ally.

Basically, DON'T spend money trying to get city state allies; and instead use your spies to coup yourself after you have secured the ones you had gotten earlier from quests by placing a spy there.

I agree that using money to secure CS is most of the time a waste but I guess using money if the CS has the money quest or is bankrupt is okay. Coup is only possible when your influence is low, so if you can get your influence to 200 or 300 (easy with Treaty Organization) AI can't coup your CS. Also, when attempting to coup yourself, do it right before the election so you get that influence boost to prevent immediate coup the turn after.

I agree that using money to secure CS is most of the time a waste but I guess using money if the CS has the money quest or is bankrupt is okay. Coup is only possible when your influence is low, so if you can get your influence to 200 or 300 (easy with Treaty Organization) AI can't coup your CS. Also, when attempting to coup yourself, do it right before the election so you get that influence boost to prevent immediate coup the turn after.

The turn before the city state election is only good if you already are maxed out at 85% (or close to it); otherwise if you wait one turn to rig the vote you'll have a significantly higher odds of success.

It's not for the success rate, it's for the influence boost after the coup. Otherwise tha AI will just coup it back the turn after and it will be a coup feud until yours or the AI's spy died.

It's not for the success rate, it's for the influence boost after the coup. Otherwise tha AI will just coup it back the turn after and it will be a coup feud until yours or the AI's spy died.

When there is competition for rigging an election, it doesn't go to current ally; it goes to whoever has the most promoted spy; if there is a tie in rank, it goes to who has been there longest.

If you notice an AI spy; you shouldn't send a raw recruit but instead send a highly promoted spy who's going to win the rig contest.

Well, of course. But you do get my point right? It goes:
0 turn to election > coup > end turn > rig election > get influence.

There's always the plan B. Wipe the opponent out. They can't steal your city states when they're gone. Alexander learned the hard lesson for stealing 5 city states from me I went and wiped him out and got all the city states back in my fold plus his city states as well.

Okay, so I was playing a game as Alexander. I had 3 City state allies. Then all of a sudden, like magic I see "English coup in city state" or something like that. Then, to add insult to injury England does ANOTHER coup in another city state a turn later.

Nonetheless I just rage quit.

Is there anyway to counter the AI magically stealing your city states?

You rage quit because you lost 3 CS allies?

Are you for real or what? Judging from your other threads, it's becoming impossible to tell.

Top Bottom