What culture generators can be converted to tourism?

Stacked_Deck

Chieftain
The civlopedia entry for hotels mentions tourism from improvements and I was wondering if that applies to improvement buffs from pantheons such as God of the Open Sky (pastures), or Oral Tradition (plantations). If yes what about tiles that have a culture yield without improvements which you can then build an improvement on such as Goddess of Festivals (Wine and Incense), Religious Idols (gold and silver) or having a Monastery (incense and wine). Lastly is there any other way to convert culture into tourism, for example culture generated from buildings, city-states or the world church founder belief?

Based on in-game testing, it appears that Hotels and Airports just check two things: (1) is there an improvement (other than a road or Railroad) on the tile? and (2) does the tile give culture? If the answer to both is yes, then the tile culture is converted to tourism. So, in the case of God of the Open Sky and Oral Tradition, since the culture is associated with the improvement, Hotels and Airports will convert that culture.

However, for Sacred Path (+1 culture from jungle tiles), you will only get the culture-to-tourism conversion if the jungle tile contains a trading post improvement (or, a brazilwood camp, for Brazil). Similarly, for Goddess of Festivals (faith and culture from wine/incense tiles, whether or not improved) and Religious Idols (same for gold/silver tiles), Hotels and Airports only convert the culture if those tiles are improved with plantations or mines, respectively.

Also, for some weird and awesome reason, the Airport bonus for Polynesia's Moia is much bigger than what you get from Hotels ... anyone who can figure out what's going on there, please let us (me!) know ...

Also, for some weird and awesome reason, the Airport bonus for Polynesia's Moia is much bigger than what you get from Hotels ... anyone who can figure out what's going on there, please let us (me!) know ...

I know! Shocking that I never noticed despite playing that civ so many times but something is wrong with the math from airports! :lol: Moais in the end generate more tourism than you'd expect making Polynesia's max tourism in a typical deity endgame around 700 while the other civs not Brazil or France are stuck at around 500 or so.

Perhaps someone can look into the code...

I know! Shocking that I never noticed despite playing that civ so many times but something is wrong with the math from airports! :lol: Moais in the end generate more tourism than you'd expect making Polynesia's max tourism in a typical deity endgame around 700 while the other civs not Brazil or France are stuck at around 500 or so.

No way, then they'd change it! :lol:

If you survive that long, and are willing to plow over luxes, it's not hard to get 900 or even 1000 tourism with Polynesia. Have to work for it, though, prob with 5 cities. The key is to have a bunch of spots with 4+ culture, because of the "bug" you get an asston of tourism from those.

Got over 1k tourism with celts before. went cheap prophets and spammed holy sites everywhere:p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Got over 1k tourism with celts before. went cheap prophets and spammed holy sites everywhere:p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That wouldn't be that much tourism, though, would it? Even with 8 sites, +3 culture per site, that's 24 culture --> 96 tourism if done in your cap, with hotel/airport/visitor's center. What am I missing? Does the "culture sites" bit make it +6 culture, so about 200 extra tourism? That's not bad ...

could it be due to rounding? each bonus gives 50% which individually each .5 could get rounded down, but a 100% bonus is more likely to be a whole number, hence no rounding.

Based on in-game testing, it appears that Hotels and Airports just check two things: (1) is there an improvement (other than a road or Railroad) on the tile? and (2) does the tile give culture? If the answer to both is yes, then the tile culture is converted to tourism. So, in the case of God of the Open Sky and Oral Tradition, since the culture is associated with the improvement, Hotels and Airports will convert that culture.

Wow! I am a huge culture junkie and I did not know this. I thought just the special improvements got converted. I will be way more likely to take a culture producing pantheon in the future. Thanks for that amazing little nugget. That is huge to me. Slow policies? Ha ha, no more! And with my favorite civ, France? Usually lots of pastures. Throw in a Landmark or two? Culture/Tourism synergy beyond what I thought could be possible. Again, thank you, thank you, thank you.

However, for Sacred Path (+1 culture from jungle tiles), you will only get the culture-to-tourism conversion if the jungle tile contains a trading post improvement (or, a brazilwood camp, for Brazil). Similarly, for Goddess of Festivals (faith and culture from wine/incense tiles, whether or not improved) and Religious Idols (same for gold/silver tiles), Hotels and Airports only convert the culture if those tiles are improved with plantations or mines, respectively.

Amazing answer. Thanks for this. :)

Wow, thanks for that nugget. The only thing I'm left wondering is how the Tourism is rounded, if at all. Most of these improvements/terrain bonuses only give +1, so that's critical. Two Jungle TP's with 1 culture each, gives 1 Tourism right? What about just one?

Wow, thanks for that nugget. The only thing I'm left wondering is how the Tourism is rounded, if at all. Most of these improvements/terrain bonuses only give +1, so that's critical. Two Jungle TP's with 1 culture each, gives 1 Tourism right? What about just one?

Most of the rounding in the game seems to be for the main displays only. The tooltips (hover cursor over main number) for each in cities usually will show the decimal amount. I'm pretty sure that's the number that gets added in at the end of the turn. I'm not sure if there's a tooltip for tourism that shows that though. Check inside the city.

It depend on what buildings you have for the amount of tourism you get.
Examples:
Hotel - 1 culture = 0.5 tourism
plus Airport = 1 tourism
plus International Games victory = 2 tourism

There are more and also some ideological tenets that modify tourism output. Don't forget that culture from Wonders gets modified, and all tourism from great works also gets increased by these modifiers.

When applied to wonders that give a culture multiplier eg. +20% from Alhambra, does that bonus culture get converted to tourism or just thebase culture?

Top Bottom