The No More Civilian Traffic Jams (NMCTJs) Mod

Pazyryk

Deity

Breaks 1-unit-per-tile for civilians. Hassle-free movement of civilians among foreign units and cities.

If you're a big fan of driving your workers off-road to get around other civ's units, or driving your missionaries around AI units trying to find an opening, then this mod is not for you. The mod also ruins various blocking exploits against AI players, like sitting on archaeological digs or using open borders to stunt their tile development. Folks who can enjoy the game without these particular micromanagement/exploit features should like the mod.

NMCTJs Changes:
  • Civilians can stack without limit.
  • Civilians can pass through and stack with (and even do plot builds under) foreign units if not at war.
  • Civilians can enter foreign cities if not at war. Actions that are normally done adjacent to cities also can be done from within (tested for religious conversion, not sure about others).
Not changed:
  • You can't "stack build" on a plot; only one unit can improve a plot on a turn.
  • No changes for embarked units. There were some CTD issues there so embarked units work as in base.
The mod changes only the Dll, so should be compatible with any UI-only mod and most XML/SQL/Lua mods, but not other Dll mods.

This is really just a byproduct of my modding for Éa (Dll to be used in the upcoming Éa III, Sword & Sorcery). It probably should be treated as "experimental" for now. I've done some staged situation testing, plus 3 complete autoplay sessions, without observing any problems. There may be issues or specific situations that I haven't thought of or tested. Please give me feedback if you find any.

Possible improvements to make:
  • If your civilian is under a foreign unit, clicking on the foreign unit doesn't select your unit. You have to aim for your unit's flag, which is a small target. If you have many civilians on a single plot under a foreign unit, you pretty much have to use the unit cycle arrows to select a specific one. I think I can fix this on the Dll side so that clicking the foreign unit automatically selects (and cycle through) yours.
  • There is no red text telling you why your worker can't build on a plot that's already being built on by another worker. I've omitted this for now because: 1) it should be obvious and 2) it's a UI change so adding that would cause compatibility problems with some UI mods.

The Éa Dll will eventually make it onto GitHub. In the meantime, I'm happy to make the source available if anyone requests it here. The Dll changes are fairly simple (in 5 or 6 places) and clearly annotated.

Version 1. (BNW only.)

Available only from CivFanatics! (for now...)

Attachments

• traffic-jam-beijing.jpg
    traffic-jam-beijing.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 12,994
Hi. This sounds AWESOME!
How do you determine if other mods are incompatible with yours? You say something abort mods that affect dll's. I currently use IGE and infoaddict. Can you tell men if thats compatible?

Oh yeah, a few suppliment questions:
- will your mods work with a game that didn't have the mod installed and activated from the beginning of the game?
- if a civilian unit is sharing tile with a foreign military unit, and war arises between the two owner civs of the units, will the civilian get autostolen?

Thx for this very needed mod!!

Best,

Hi. This sounds AWESOME!
How do you determine if other mods are incompatible with yours? You say something abort mods that affect dll's. I currently use IGE and infoaddict. Can you tell men if thats compatible?
Usually they tell you in the mod thread if it is a dll mod. I believe that those two are not dll mods (meaning that they are compatible). You can tell by opening the mod folder, usually found here:

C:/Users/<your name>/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS/<ModName>/

...look for a file with .dll extension there. You will see one in NMCTJs. If there is no .dll file, then it should be compatible with this mod.

Oh yeah, a few suppliment questions:
- will your mods work with a game that didn't have the mod installed and activated from the beginning of the game?
I believe so. Try it.
- if a civilian unit is sharing tile with a foreign military unit, and war arises between the two owner civs of the units, will the civilian get autostolen?
Probably nothing happens, immediately. I think the worker would be able to walk away if it is still your turn. I'm not sure what will happen if still stacked between turns. Either it will jump away safely or it will be captured.

Thx for this very needed mod!!
Glad to know some folks are using it. I was waiting for feedback to make sure it is working without problems. Please post if this is the case. Then I will upload to Workshop.

The only issue I've run into so far is that the game will recommend a tile improvement for a worker even if another worker is currently building that same improvement.

Great work, will definitely look into it whenever I start adding mods to my game.

Now if someone would make a mod whereby you can somehow move a large amount of units over long distances through friendly territory without babysitting them, my two biggest pet peeves with Civ V would be gone.

Does anyone know how to bypass the issue where a friendly civilian is in the same tile as a enemy military unit/city and the game wont let you attack the enemy unit, it just keeps asking you to declare war....

Does anyone know how to bypass the issue where a friendly civilian is in the same tile as a enemy military unit/city and the game wont let you attack the enemy unit, it just keeps asking you to declare war....
I'll try to figure out a fix for this and post an update.

I think it's fixed in community patch

this sounds awesome except i love to hem in enemy great prophets/missionaries with my own units or at least make it harder for them to move around.. i guess its a trade off

Can i turn off the civilian stack? I only want them to go through other civilian unit like combat unit.

Hello,

I am looking to create a mod that does something similar to this. I want embarked units to have a limit of 2 per stack. Is there any chance you could point me in the right direction.

P.S Could i get the source code?

Last edited:
Top Bottom