Quick Questions and Answers

quick question: is it a good idea to sign multiple RAs in the same turn?

when they resolve i seem to have problems with maximizing their benefit so I've recently been staggering each one 1 turn apart.

edit: i just found out how to select the resolve path for the next techs. been playing for close to 500 hours and just now figuring this out.

From the RA War Academy article:
Because a single research agreement plus overflow can complete multiple technologies at once and shift the median up, multiple RAs should generally be staggered across turns unless you have a firm understanding of where the resolutions will occur and what median shifts will happen.
So you're probably losing on quite a few beakers when you do it, even if you queue up techs (with shift-click ;) ) - Queuing only helps you to have a RA put all it's beakers into 1 (wanted) technology instead of spreading 20% beakers into 5 different techs (which happens when you didn't have anything further selected to research).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My turn for questions:

1. When I attack like in this picture, will I get the combat bonuses it shows me here or will it actually recalculate the fighting bonuses after the unit moved a tile, because then I wouldn't get the adjacent unit bonus any more:

(Would be ridiculous for units with fast movement, if it actually keeps the bonus situation from wherever it started to move - however I don't see how the calculation shown doesn't actually show what it really will (should?) get when I attack like that... so bug or just a bad way of displaying the combat calculations chosen by the devs?)

2. This Cavalry used to be a Keshik with a lot of promotions. For e.g. Accuracy III, which should give open terrain bonus to ranged units only. A Cavalry however is not a ranged unit. I am somewhat sure that usually an Accuracy promotion will be ignored if a melee unit happens to have one. However in this case the Cavalry already got the Shock I promotion as well (which gives melee units a combat bonus in open terrain). Maybe this is when this bug occurs. The real question is: Do both the bonuses actually count as the combat calculation suggests or is the bug only of visual nature and it will only grant the 20% bonus from Shock I?:

Terrain would mean hills and forests, citadels and fortresses are improvements, so I'm fairly certain that you would get the defensive bonus of theirs. Of course, I rarely ever build either of them, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, but according to the help article in game, it says the effect is +X% to terrain defense bonus or something like that, so if the descriptions are accurate it shouldn't work..but the descriptions might just be bad.

Has there been any word on any new patch, offical mods, or expansion for CiV recently? Anything at all?

another quick question: i wanted to play a game with spain under optimal conditions so i used the 'legendary start' option in hopes of having world wonders near me. i know its supposed to enhance strat/lux resources around you but i never got any optimal WW starts.

is there any way to get an optimal WW start (without using mods)? finding them first for 500g was kind of crazy.

in one regular game i got two early and rush bought a worker, settler, and a library (from additional gold from meeting CSs) with the gold. since then not even 1 discovered first after maybe 10 restarts.

Spain is so luck dependent...

How do you think you'll ever find a WW first though (why do you call it WW (World Wonder?) and not NW (Natural Wonder) when every AIs start with up to (on deity) 2 settlers, 3 warriors, 2 workers and a scout when you yourself only have a single warrior and settler?
Not sure with what units a CS starts however most (land) NWs seem always to be very close to a CS (I expect them to be the ones to discover them first, however it could just have been an AI civ with all of it's extra starting units too).

i was trying it on emperor pangaea (still not deity level yet, but i have beaten immortal a few times now).

i built 2 scouts before anything else just for finding the wonders. that and the starting warrior all go as far as possible. and i only called them WWs to separate them from the wonders you can build. NW would be better, though.

sometimes the loads would have me in the middle of 3 other civs who probably saw them early. other times i would start almost isolated from them with only 3 or 4 CSs and no civs around. based on the direction i took to start scouting decided if i saw one first. and if you are hunting for NWs you get tempted to unearth every hex you can taking more time in your scouting. I watched MadDjinn's deity Spain game (the first 3 vids) and he did that but he also found the Great Barrier Reef with a land unit that wasnt too far from his starting spot. I think it was his only wonder but he eventually got to work it with a city for a lot of resources. Old faithful sucks though, only 2 beakers becoming 4 isnt worth it. The 500g for finding it first is though.

the NWs i always saw first were Old Faithful or Barringer Crater. I know i probably wouldnt get the Great Barrier Reef until i got a trireme or caravel, but sometimes my starting coast spot was just a big lake so i would reload in hopes of getting an actual ocean coast. i think i will try continents to make better use of the conquistadors with their bonus though.

Can anyone tell me what are the ten exact maps in the Explorer pack? I am debating on buying it.

Does it include those 4 individual "Cradle of Civilization" maps?

What are the specific bonuses given/taken from the AI/Player on the difficulty settings?

Im sure theres already a thread but I couldnt find it.

If the AI builds 3 space ship parts, and delivers them to his capital (I see the icons on the map) then I capture the capital what happens?

-Does he still keep them and subsequent parts must be taken to his new capital?

-Does he lose them but get them back if he recaptures his capital?

-Are they gone forever and he must rebuild all parts?

I ask this because I saw Catherine built 3 space ship parts. I got worried, so I captured Moscow and ended the war. On the victory progress screen; however, i still saw 3 darkened parts on her space ship progress, leading me to believe she stilll has those parts.

Spaceship parts already assembled in the capital can't be destroyed. They somehow get teleported to the new capital. Only way to prevent someone from a science victory is to actually wipe him out completely.

I want to start playing Civ games..should i begin with the 1st game or could i shoot right to civ 5?

I want to start playing Civ games..should i begin with the 1st game or could i shoot right to civ 5?

I don't believe anyone can tell you what you should do.
I enjoyed all the Civ titles except for 5.
Having said that, you still could start with 5.
I personally still enjoy Civ4BtS more than the others.

If I have the Polynesia DLC and I want to play LAN/Multiplayer with someone who doesn't have it, will I be able to play as Polynesia even though the other player doesn't have the DLC?

Or do both parties need the same DLC to be able to use the DLC civs?

People have mentioned turning quick combat on and off "trough the .ini" during a game here on the forums, how do I do that? I've tried setting "QuickCombat = 0" to 1 in the config.ini file in steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V, but it doesn't work.

People have mentioned turning quick combat on and off "trough the .ini" during a game here on the forums, how do I do that? I've tried setting "QuickCombat = 0" to 1 in the config.ini file in steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V, but it doesn't work.

Wrong Option... confusing right?

Here's what you need to change:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10287901&postcount=15

Note that the game must be closed while you do it and for the changes to take effect.

Top Bottom