Single Unit Graphics

OK, now I gotta know: what are you modding?

Just playing around at the moment... waiting for graphics for my blood 4 oil MOD or something...
I like the modern aera most, but rhettogun has made a tough job with WWII scenario, no need for doing something there at the moment. Sometimes I'm changing some mods for private use, to make them better fit for me, I am still learning by doing this.

For doing my first Civ5 Mod I need 3 things:
-More skills
-graphics
-some good ideas :confused:

Perhaps I'll do a "Desert Storm" when UUs of the present time are available, basing on "Blood 4 Oil" and "Blitzkrieg" MOD with focus on ressource Oil, more offensive units and desert promotions...

For doing my first Civ5 Mod I need 3 things:
-More skills
-graphics
-some good ideas :confused:

Is that all? ;)

Perhaps I'll do a "Desert Storm" when UUs of the present time are available, basing on "Blood 4 Oil" and "Blitzkrieg" MOD with focus on ressource Oil, more offensive units and desert promotions...

Cool. Well, good luck and keep on keepin' on. :thumbsup:

Yes, that's all... Made many Mods on Civ3 and civ4 BTS (just for private). But the lots of Graphics like on bts are still missing. A scenario/mod playing in middle east these days is planned but need some graphics like desertcamo T55, desert camo marine/infantry and def. a anti air infantry, the idea is standing.
So most I focus on civpedia-files theese days, exp. on the [xy]icon conzept, because the pedia not also addes all specs to the pedia side, was better in BTS.
So there is the next part for aproving my skills ;)

this mod is great! have you figured out how to Move the unit icons that end up blocking the heads of some units?

this mod is great! have you figured out how to Move the unit icons that end up blocking the heads of some units?

I intended to look into this, but never really did... I apologize that my life in meatspace has kept me from the important work to be done here. ;)

My mod skills being both generally and CiV-specifically weak, I've done some quick searches for "prior art" in this area. UnitFlagManager.lua and .xml appear to be the culprit.

Kael's (outdated but still very helpful) Modder's Guide has a how-to for creating a mod that adds a checkbox to disable unit icons.

Looking at Flag Promotions will likely be more helpful, but I realize that because it's now included in Thal's Unofficial Patch, I will probably need to produce 2 revisions of my changes to prevent compatibility issues with a very popular mod.

Based on a cursory look, I'm not sure I can make it unit-specific, but some kind of solution looks do-able. I'll try to find some time to look into it.

After messing with it for a while, the best solution I could come up with is to use Kael's method and just disable the unit icons. I might revisit it, but I wanted to get something working.

I've been spending my time working on Ethnic Diversity, which includes a Single Unit Graphics add-on, and uses that technique.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I really have to do ANYTHING to the add-on to release it as a standalone mod for version 5. I should probably test that. ;)

EDIT:
Yeah, it works fine. You can consider the beta for "Ethnic Diversity - Single Unit Graphics" the beta for version 5.

I don't think I'm going to make unit icons disabled by default. Some units are tough to tell who owns them.

I don't think I'm going to make unit icons disabled by default. Some units are tough to tell who owns them.

Since I'll be taking that part out, I made it modular. If you want to disable unit icons (note that they can be re-enabled ingame through the map options menu), download the mod here: Simple Unit Icon Disabler.

You can consider the beta for "Ethnic Diversity - Single Unit Graphics" the beta for version 5.

Now that the stable version of Ethnic Diversity v12 has been released, I'm releasing an equivalent version 5 of the standalone Single Unit Graphics. See the first post for more.

Great mod, guys! Hope I'll se it on steam once it will be ready

SUG beta:
See the first post for some betas. Note that I don't have time to do adequate testing, so I'm relying on ya'll to let me know what I need to fix. I'm interested to hear, particularly, about the interactions with R.E.D. Modpack (which is specifically supported).

The scales have been in a state of flux, but I think I've got it nailed down. I'm not going for realism; I'm going for reasonably-fits-in-the-hex. Let me know how you think it compares with earlier versions (to the extent you may have used them), and whether you think I ought to go back to something similar (slightly more realism-based).

Please send me bug reports via private message rather than cluttering up this thread.

SUIT alpha test:
Note you'll definitely want to try the SUIT (Simple Unit Icon Tweaker) alpha with this release of SUG, since I have increased the scale of most melee units (though I've decreased mounted), so the unit icons get in the way even worse than before. Note that this mod is at an early stage, and lack of time prevents me from working on it much. By default, it lowers the icon to underneath the unit. I kind of like it, because the icon is mostly within the hex in question that way [plus I don't have to worry about getting it to interface with the city banner]. On the other hand, it does take some getting used to.

Note that it adds options to the minimap menu to turn off the icons completely, or move the location. I may take that out and just release separate mods with the locations hard-coded. For the moment though, "Shift Up and Right" doesn't actually do any horizontal shifting (but it does move up, above the default spot), but "Shift Up" right now just duplicates default. At the moment, the default will end up overlapping city banners. Further, the changes only affect a unit after it moves. It is not compatible with FlagPromotions (part of VEM/GEM), but I'd like to work on that too.

To maintain the "Simple" part of SUIT, and in attempt to finally get this whole mod out the door, I've re-released it as "Simple Unit Icon Raiser" and "Simple Unit Icon Lowerer" which don't have as cool an acronym, but... as an added bonus, they now work properly. See the first post for the download links.

I've also uploaded the newest beta of SUG to the download database and to Steam.

EDIT: I've also posted the SUIR/L betas to Steam.

v7 beta uploaded.

I fixed a bug with the scale of the vanilla archer, and for those using R.E.D. Modpack with this mod, I've adjusted some of the unit choices.

For those that don't like quadruped settlers, I've attached the Human Settlers modmod to the first post. If you have R.E.D. Modpack activated, there will be additional ethnic diversity.

Can we haave Human Settlers modmod on Steam too pls?

A few small tweaks brings this to v8 beta, and I've uploaded a new alternative mod, "Reduced Unit Graphics" which uses a few models (usually 3) to represent your units:

Top Bottom