Revolutions

And now a major update :D

Remember that you need the latest version of Cultural Diffusion.

Lots of new lines of code, so there could be some bugs left, let me know if something strange happens...

v.8 (May, 29 2013)

- Feature: Rebel City-States get appropriate names (English language only)
- Feature: Try to match the Art Style of the original civilization for rebel's cities.
- Feature: Rebel CS can join a civilization that have a cultural influence on the CS plot after 10 turns, or the closest Civilization after 20 turns.
- Option: If no civilization are influencing the rebel CS, then it can declare independence and create a new (neutral) City-State between turns 10 and 20 after revolution.
- Feature: change rebel unit type by era.
- Add background art for Rebel CS screen.

Hey Gademon, Thanks for all the hard work you have been putting into this mod. I can't wait to try it out here soon. Just one question, have you solved the long wait time issue late in the game or is that still problematic?

Sounds good i love your mods....

Hey Gademon, Thanks for all the hard work you have been putting into this mod. I can't wait to try it out here soon. Just one question, have you solved the long wait time issue late in the game or is that still problematic?

yes, from Culture Diffusion change log:

v.15 (May 17, 2013)
- Change the save slot for the locked plots table, speed up late game by a factor 5 on large maps...

Just avoid Foreign Trade Route until I update it, as it is still using the same saving slot...

Now, turns as still longer than usual, but in late game on the giant map, it goes down from more than 8 minutes to less than 2 in my test.

I checked out your WW2 Mod and it was good. Alot of fun. But to me its just a fun scenario. This revolutions, cultural diffusion and other mods like this are excellent though. Really good job. Historical mods just aren't my cup of tea but it was alot of fun.

Gedemon, would you be able to make cities break away from your empire in blocs, rather than individually? Now that we have DLL we can stop the CSs from razing their non-core cities.

Gedemon, would you be able to make cities break away from your empire in blocs, rather than individually? Now that we have DLL we can stop the CSs from razing their non-core cities.

We don't need the DLL for that, in the current version a CS can acquire a new city after a revolution. The mod auto-remove city razing if the AI try to destroy it after acquisition.

What is not in, and I plan to add, is to raise the instability in nearby cities when a city is in revolution, to simulate a spreading effect.

But right now I'm still fighting with slowdown in late game on huge map, it's better, but still too long.

But right now I'm still fighting with slowdown in late game on huge map, it's better, but still too long.

I've done a few tests, made a few more optimization on Culture Diffusion, now the mod is taking only a fraction of the AI turn time, it's just the Giant Earth filled with cities that is very slow in late game...

test results:

Spoiler :
Code:
-------------------------------------
-- All mods (Revolution, Culture Diffusion, HSD, InfoAddict

[626721.521] HSD_Main: Game year = 1935, Game turn = 355
[626721.521] HSD_Main: AI turn execution time = 393.9

-- Without:
-- - Revolution 

[628622.190] HSD_Main: Game year = 1935, Game turn = 355
[628622.190] HSD_Main: AI turn execution time = 376.807

-- Without:
-- - Revolution 
-- - Culture Diffusion

[629556.589] HSD_Main: Game year = 1935, Game turn = 355
[629556.589] HSD_Main: AI turn execution time = 363.638

-- Without:
-- - Revolution 
-- - Culture Diffusion
-- - InfoAddict

[630280.980] HSD_Main: Game year = 1935, Game turn = 355
[630280.980] HSD_Main: AI turn execution time = 355.974

Gedemon,
Have you given thought to how you intend to work revolution withnthe new culture and tourism systems when the expansion hits? Fans would be interested to hear what you're thinking!

Greetings Gedemon,

Thank you for a very fine mod. I've played two full games with it installed now and have a few comments.

I play on a Mac with the Civilization V: Campaign Edition v1.2.2 with Gods and Kings and a couple of DLC packs. I have the following mods installed:
City State Diplomacy v35
Cultural Diffusion v16
Custom Advanced Setup Screen v5
Emigration v4
Hex Conquer and Release v3
InfoAddict v19
PerfectWorld 3
R.E.D. Modpack v26
Revolutions v8

I played multiple games with all the above mods except Emigration v4 and Revolutions v8 with no issues. I installed Emigration v4 and Revolutions v8 at the same time after deleting my Civ5ModsDatabase.db. I have played two full games since and have been experiencing occasional CTDs. They always occur while the computer is calculating its move, and I think but cannot be sure it occurs during the City State phase. They come in clusters. I can reload and play through the problem turn to get another CTD in a couple of turns. I can also go a hundred turns with no problem. It's not consistent, and it doesn't bother me, I just thought I'd mention it.

Unfortunately, all the logs are blank. They get initiated when I launch the game but never get written to. I think it's a Mac or Campaign Edition thing.

I've seen mentioned several places to reserve several City States in Custom Advanced Setup. I'm not sure how this is suppose to work. I don't see any place on the Advanced Setup to reserve City States. I normally play on a small map with 7 majors and 21 City States. It makes a crowded map where everyone has enough room for 2 to 4 cities before they have to fight or make love. The computer usually doesn't find room for all 21 City States. I've just increased the number of City States in the setup to 31 which is ~10 above how many will fit and ~10 below how many exist.

Here's the screen I see when I enter Advanced Setup through the Custom Advanced Setup Mod:
Spoiler :

In my first game with Revolutions installed, the Iroquois were in the game and really suffered for their habit of tossing cities around the map. Unfortunately most of the action occurred beyond my sight, so I can't be sure what was going on.

My second game included Polynesia who was also throwing cities around and got into trouble. This time a lot of the action happened where I could see it, so I can give a better report.

Polynesia had 8 cities on one continent (2 ex-Austrian) and 13 on various islands and in the interstices of the other continent. None of the overseas territories were connected to any other overseas territory by land. They all hovered around 50% separatist and the separatist tended to be exasperated. These cities frequently fell into resistance.

Then in the later game Polynesia's overseas territories suddenly reformed. The number of separatists dropped from ~50% to ~12% and they went from being constantly exasperated to being unhappy. This happened across his whole empire at roughly the same time. I was in the modern era and had just surpassed Polynesia in number of techs having previously trailed by as many as 6. Polynesia had more bypassed techs than I and was in either the industrial era or the modern era. Could this sudden improvement in stability be due to an era shift or wonder bonuses? (Polynesia and I split the ancient wonders. Polynesia dominated the renaissance and industrial wonders (except for those whose cost increased by number of cities). I dominated the later wonders.)

Polynesia went to war against America on the other continent and wiped them out. Razed 1 city and puppeted 4. They now had a block of 8 cities on our shared continent, a block of 8 cities on the other continent and 9 cities scattered around on islands and between other major powers and city states. There stability seemed okay.

I was going for a science win, confident I had outpaced Polynesia when they completed all 3 SS Boosters in one turn. I had the tech lead but Polynesia vastly outproduced me. I had severe aluminum shortage (Polynesia had scads) and needed to build recycling centers before I could build my spaceship parts. I was keeping up with Polynesia's manufacturing by leveraging my vastly superior gold economy, but you can't buy spaceship parts and I only had 4 cities. It looked like Polynesia could spit out parts as soon as it got the techs. Honolulu was vulnerable. It was time for war.

It was the most enjoyable late-game war I've had in a long time. I had modern armor, mechanized infantry, rocket artillery, and mobile SAM against Polynesia's infantry, rocket artillery, and mobile SAM. However, the Polynesians had so many promotions and wonder bonuses that they units were actually superior one-on-one. I also had 3 squadrons of jet fighters against scads and scads of fighters and bombers.

I exploited your mod in the opening stages of the war. I dropped a paratroop in the killing zone between Honolulu and Samoa. It lived just long enough to sever the rail and road links between the capital and the rest of the empire. Due to ice and land there was no harbor link. Polynesia's overseas possessions quickly descended into chaos—resisting and spawning separatist infantry. The Americans rose up as well. It was glorious. I love your mod for the ability to strike a strategic blow such as that. It was now my 4 continental cities against their 8. Overseas Polynesia was fighting my city state allies, separatists, and American rebels. It was pretty much infantry all around after the few heavy units were eliminated early on. Control of the countryside kept swinging back and forth and lots of resources got pillaged, but very few cities were taken, although a few did flip to Cape Town.

Boston flipped and declared itself Cape Town. (The name on the map remained Boston.) After a couple of turns it became American again. America did not appear in the score list on the side of the screen. The Polynesians managed to retake it and razed it. Then America reappeared on the score list as 0 and eliminated. I didn't take a screenshot, but I don't think Boston had a capital star when it was briefly American again. Washington then flipped to Cape Town and a couple of turns later to American. It did have the capital star and America reappeared in the score list again.

The hover promotion on the separatist infantry is neat, but the AI doesn't use it well at all. The units would approach a city, end their turn on a mountain adjacent to the city (unavoidable), take 50% attrition, then retreat. They're going to die anyway doing that. They should push ahead and try for the city.

Before things kicked off between Polynesia and me, there was the strange case of Hanoi. Polynesia and I were competing for their favor. I wrested them from Polynesia. Polynesia wrested them from me. Repeat. After they switched allegiance 5 times in 5 turns they went into constant rebellion for at least 20 turns. Their stability was listed as 99% Hanoi (woeful), not separatist. They spawned 3 separatist infantry (and a separatist settler that got quickly toasted). As soon as those were defeated (or even before) another 3 spawned. They spawned 5 sets of 3 separatist infantry before things calmed down just before the shooting started between their big neighbors. They pillaged all their own territory and were completely useless as an ally.

A final point on Emigration and Revolutions. Just before I taught the Polynesians some manners, my empire consisted of; Capital (47 pop), Pearl Atoll (46 pop), Citrus Delta (35 pop) and Tonga (31 pop). Half or more of my population was immigrants from other civs, but the only cultural groups besides mine in my stability stats were minor fractions from the adjacent city states. It would be nice if the immigrants could be tallied. But I wouldn't want them to contribute significant unrest. They chose to come to make a better life.

Where I could see what was going on, your mod seemed to be doing a good job of keeping the factions and names straight. In both games I played, I was getting messages <blank> has made peace with whoever, where <blank> was an empty space. I think this happened when a separatist settler got toasted before founding or joining a city. In the Iroquois game, I found one isolated Iroquois city with settlers from 4 different rebel factions around it.

Love the mod. It really adds an extra dimension to my crowded, city building style of play.

Ok time for my game reports. Well i played with a lot of other mods (CCTP, Cultural Capitals, Whowards DLL and other components) and my own mod, so i have not fond any gamebreaking problems (only one was emigration, so i removed it).
My gamesettings are gigant Continent map with 18 civz and 30 city states and gigant Continents and 12 Civs and 30 City States. Both on Marathon heavy enlarged.
In both games some Civs lost there capitals before round 100, in my first game only 7 Civs are owning there capitals by round 300. Was a great kind of gameplay, because the new founded City States where joining other nations or doing constantly war gainst some Civs.
In my second game the capitals of the atztecs and the indians became under revolution con trol, but then some rounds later there name changed into Monacco and Vatikanstaat. Ok i guess this is how the mechanics are working, but delhi was also a religios founding city, and this abiliy was lost. India lost his religion (But this could a propper problem with a similar mod iam running religios city states). Anway great mod, the only problem i have the game is slower when i play with it, but thats ok for me .

Thank you for the reports :goodjob:

I've forgotten to notify here that steam version was updated (and Cultural Diffusion too), I'll upload on CFC *soon* (next week I hope)

Here's the log:

v.9 (July, 09 2013)
- Bugfix: A city with a courthouse was still considered "occupied"
- Optimization: use MapModData to share Culture Map with Cultural Diffusion (the mod now require v.17 of Cultural Diffusion)
- Feature: Add a new option "Raging Rebels" to allow more Revolutions.
- Balance: tweak the value and mechanism used for choosing a Civilization to join after a Revolution.
- Balance: Rebels start with a large negative amount of influence from every civs.

I played multiple games with all the above mods except Emigration v4 and Revolutions v8 with no issues. I installed Emigration v4 and Revolutions v8 at the same time after deleting my Civ5ModsDatabase.db. I have played two full games since and have been experiencing occasional CTDs. They always occur while the computer is calculating its move, and I think but cannot be sure it occurs during the City State phase. They come in clusters. I can reload and play through the problem turn to get another CTD in a couple of turns. I can also go a hundred turns with no problem. It's not consistent, and it doesn't bother me, I just thought I'd mention it.

Unfortunately, all the logs are blank. They get initiated when I launch the game but never get written to. I think it's a Mac or Campaign Edition thing.

I've seen mentioned several places to reserve several City States in Custom Advanced Setup. I'm not sure how this is suppose to work. I don't see any place on the Advanced Setup to reserve City States. I normally play on a small map with 7 majors and 21 City States. It makes a crowded map where everyone has enough room for 2 to 4 cities before they have to fight or make love. The computer usually doesn't find room for all 21 City States. I've just increased the number of City States in the setup to 31 which is ~10 above how many will fit and ~10 below how many exist.

Here's the screen I see when I enter Advanced Setup through the Custom Advanced Setup Mod:
Spoiler :

CS reservation is automatic, the setup will launch the game with 41 CS, reserve 10, and kill any CS left above from the number you've requested.

Gedemon

I have been thinking about this scenario and where your mod may shine especially for those who wish to use it with the YNAEMP 43 civs etc (if it possible)

Instead of the CIVS revolting and becoming CITY STATES or NEW CIVS,

Cant they just become like "BARBARIANS"? OR a "BARBARIAN" city that they not allowed to abandon etc? And it can encompass as you mentioned spread to other cities? Especially if there are no empty CS or CIV slots available?

Perhaps you can create special or spawn special units especially for Modern ERAS that the barbarian can use, to have Rebel Fighters, Freedom Fighters, "Terrorists" etc like those things,

Perhaps even have it random even though you could be happy or created via ESPIONAGE GAMEPLAY MECHANIC in game allowing for other CIVS to use it to create instability and WARS?

I have not played BNW yet, busy combining mods for it, and would like to incorporate the above Revolutions MOD but I dont think I will have enough space as the YNAEMP is already used up completely.

The above you can recreate real world scenarios like in Chechniya, Kosovo, Western Sahara, Mali etc. Perhaps even as mentioned above ESPIONAGE from another CIV it can be like state sponsored and lead to condemnation. Not to sure but it an idea:) Anyway that could be a bit complicated but foremost can you make it so that they just become "Barbarians"?

And related to the above can barbarians especially for modern era the unit used can be set ?

They always occur while the computer is calculating its move, and I think but cannot be sure it occurs during the City State phase. They come in clusters. I can reload and play through the problem turn to get another CTD in a couple of turns. I can also go a hundred turns with no problem. It's not consistent, and it doesn't bother me, I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm having the same problem. Only using Revolution, Info Addict, and the modcomps needed for Revolution plus R.E.D (and hotfix).

So far in my latest games, several civilizations are managing their affairs well enough, including successfully dealing with rebels when they spawn. Japan isn't handling its rebels very well however. One "relatively" distant city, Satsuma, declared independence but the rebellion failed. It was relatively successful, given Tokyo was besieged for a while and three quarters of Japan's three cities were either Satsuma or resisting.

A second rebellion happened, this time taking Kyoto. I can't see what's happening in Japan though to say why Japan is crumbling so hard versus rebels. I'm not sure what's causing the rebels, since one trip my GP took through Japan saw that the cities were at least connected by roads, and Info Addict says that Japan's happiness is higher than mine. Prolly because of Raging Rebels.

@Hashishim:

I want to keep separate faction for rebels, for example I may implement fight between rebels (make sense with the ideology mechanism of civ5)

Spy mechanism is planned.

I'm having the same problem. Only using Revolution, Info Addict, and the modcomps needed for Revolution plus R.E.D (and hotfix).
If you manage to get a lua.log from just after a crash, I'd like to see it. does it happen anytime during the AI turn, or near the end (when the barbarian icon is shown) ?

okay cool:) one more thing
Will revolutions work with your YNAEMP 43 mod?

I currently have 43 civs in use, and 20 CS will be in use. (Using it to the full extent) I dont htink I will have space for new CS to be added via a revolution,

Yes. But effectively, you won't get many CS on the map (8 slots left after the reservation for Revolution)

If you manage to get a lua.log from just after a crash, I'd like to see it. does it happen anytime during the AI turn, or near the end (when the barbarian icon is shown) ?

The Lua.log I'm looking at is blank. Is there one besides the one in the MyGames->CivV folder?

It usually happens rather quickly after I end my turn, practically as soon as I click end turn really. The crash isn't repeatable unfortunately, so I started paying attention to "whose turn". Either it happens as soon as I hit end turn, or near the beginning of the AI's turn.

okay im confused, 8 (may be a stupid question)

Why would there be 8 slots left?

Since the CAP for CIV and CS combined will be 63,

With the customs civs and CS I created and wish to use both will be from time I start the game will be 63 (43 CIVS and 20 CS)

Where will 8 free slots come from? if the cap is already reached from start of the game? (This is the scenario I created using custom civs, custom cs and your YNAEMP Mod)

The Lua.log I'm looking at is blank. Is there one besides the one in the MyGames->CivV folder?

It usually happens rather quickly after I end my turn, practically as soon as I click end turn really. The crash isn't repeatable unfortunately, so I started paying attention to "whose turn". Either it happens as soon as I hit end turn, or near the beginning of the AI's turn.

Logging must be activated, see here.

And it must be edited immediately after the crash, re-launching the game will erase it.

Top Bottom