City States Leaders II

I haven't tried, but I imagine if you add pics with the same dimensions with the same filenames (VFS=true), it'd work without any revisions necessary.

(Go Niners!)

I haven't tried, but I imagine if you add pics with the same dimensions with the same filenames (VFS=true), it'd work without any revisions necessary.

(Go Niners!)

Thanks for the response and I figured that would most likely be the case. Now to find out the filenames....;)

Oh, and go 49ers!! Went to see them play Tampa Bay Buccaneers when on holiday in Florida.

Hey Nutty!
Thanks of course for the mod. :)
I installed the "normal" G+K version and also have the problem of seeing a leaderhead at the first meet with a city state, but subsequently only see the defaults, while using CivUp and GEM, plus some other minor mods.
Would it be safe to install the compatible version over the current one and then continue my current game? Or do you suggest to wait until I finished this one?

Time to put together the leaders for Brave New World. Suggestions, anyone?
Civilization Wiki said:
City-States in Brave New World:
It can be assumed that since Portugal, Poland, Brazil, Morocco, Indonesia and Venice are being added, the current city-states of Lisbon, Warsaw, Rio de Janeiro, Marrakech, Jakarta and Venice (which are all to become capitals to the respective civilizations) will be removed. The new city states will be:
Version City State Trait Country Proposed Leaders Notes
BNW Antananarivo Mercantile Madagascar ? capital
BNW Bratislava Cultured Slovakia ? capital
BNW Buenos Aires Cultured Argentina 1. Juan de Garay , 2.Eva Peron capital
BNW Byblos Maritime Phoenicia ? major city-state/capital
BNW Ife Religious Nigeria Ooni ancient city
BNW Kabul Cultured Afghanistan 1. Ahmad Shah Durrani , 2.Ahmad Shah Massoud capital
BNW Kiev Cultured Ukraine 1. Symon Petliura , 2.Yaroslav capital
BNW Kyzyl Cultured Tuva (Turkic, So. Siberia) ? capital
BNW Malacca Mercantile Malaysia ? major city
BNW M'Banza-Kongo Militaristic Kingdom of Congo Nzinga Mbande Seat of Manikongo (king)
BNW Melbourne Mercantile Australia ? major city
BNW Mogadishu Maritime Somalia Aden Abdullah Osman Daar capital
BNW Ormus Maritime Persian Gulf ? 10th-17th C. civilization
BNW Panama City Maritime Panama ? capital
BNW Riga Maritime Latvia 1. Karlis Ulmanis , 2.Bishop Albert, 3.Master Wenno, 4.Master Volkwin capital
BNW Samarkand Mercantile Persia 1. Ulugh Beg , 2.Timur one-time capital
BNW Sofia Militaristic Bulgaria Boris I capital
BNW Ur Maritime Sumer Gilgamesh major city-state/capital
BNW Vancouver Maritime Canada David Oppenheimer largest Western port

Buenos Aries - Eva Peron
Kiev - Yaroslav
M'Banza-Kongo - Nzinga Mbande
Samarkand - Timur
Ur - Gilgamesh

Thanks for the suggestions (and keep 'em coming)!
[see post #45 or post #1 for the list]

EDIT: Note I've removed some that don't appear to have made it into the game.
EDIT #2: The "extras" were 5 out of the 6 city states that are added for the new Scramble for Africa scenario (which I've added to the proposed scenario support section of post #3). I also removed them from the Wiki.

Could possibly the Flags edition of the mod for BNW be finished first? As it might be easier for you to compile relevant flags instead of the leader portraits :)

Just asking since that's the edition i prefer!

Could possibly the Flags edition of the mod for BNW be finished first? As it might be easier for you to compile relevant flags instead of the leader portraits :)
I had come to the same conclusion. In fact, it's nearly done, though I'm a bit unhappy with the choices I had to make.

For example, so that I don't conflict with Toft Flags using Iraq for Babylon and Iran for Perisa, I've moved Ur to Kuwait (to where it would have been had water levels been the same) and moved Ormus across the straight of Hormuz to U.A.E. Normally I would have used the flag of a smaller political subdivision, but I can't find any local flags for Iraq or Iran.

And... Byblos? Not to discount the historical significance of Lebanon, do we need a third city state from a modern country of only 4000 square miles?

Anyway... Keep the leader suggestions coming (especially if you want CSE compatibility)!

The original request was to mesh with Toft Flags, so that's what I did, but I could try to find more appropriate matches as an alternative mod (e.g., the Standard of Ur, war side or peace side).

As for Smaller Landmarks, I haven't tested it, but it should work fine with the new resources and improvements. Note that Leugi just posted a new farm, so I'll update Smaller Landmarks at some point to include that instead of Horem's art resources (while we wait for the fall patch for Firaxis to finally squash the farm crash bug).

Ah that's nice :)
If i just want to use the smaller landmarks and not the new farms, i presume it's safe to remove the "Art" folder, and edit the SmallerLandmarks.sql to only contain the below:

Spoiler :
-- R.E.D. - Smaller Landmarks
-----------------------------

-- SMALLER LANDMARKS:

UPDATE 'ArtDefine_Landmarks' SET Scale = Scale * 0.75 WHERE
(ResourceType LIKE 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_%' OR ResourceType = 'ART_DEF_FEATURE_FALLOUT')
AND NOT ImprovementType = 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_BARBARIAN_CAMP';

Right? :)
Enough offtopic, thanks!

hmmm. do we have an icon artist that can make the leader icons look like the major civ leader icons?
Hmm... Well, remember this was a continuation of mihaifx's project, and I was originally just updating it for Gods + Kings. I agree with you that using paintings doesn't quite mesh with the game's art design.

If you're talking about adding in sunburst/starburst backgrounds, I could certainly do that, but it's a fair amount of work. Note that there's 55 city-states in BNW, and 11 more for backwards compatibility with vanilla and G+K. I could certainly try to run them through some filters to make them appear drawn, but if you're talking about tracing the leaders and recoloring them by hand like Firaxis did, that's quite an undertaking.

The community hasn't thus far shown a whole lot of interest in helping me out with this project, but if an artist wanted to take that on, I'd welcome it.

Top Bottom