Anno Domini Gods and Kings

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator

Anno Domini Gods and Kings is here at last!!

Download at Atomic Gamer

Subscribe on Steam

You'll need to unpack this into your MODS folder.

This post will look more interesting soon!! At the moment, I don't have time to put too much here; you can see some information at the website (annodomini.org.uk) though that needs to be updated; there are some previews in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487678

So...we're talking ancient world, 55 unique civilizations, all with different UAs (no duplication; some new ones "stolen" from other people's modding!). Danrell and JTitan's units are out in force!

It is important to note that you will need to have all the DLC for the Vanilla game and the Gods and Kings expansion for Anno Domini to work.

I will add some thanks to the thread for all those people who have contributed; furthermore, this will be updated on the website. I must in particular thank Nutty, Tomatekh and whoward69 - they've all helped me over the past couple of weeks, as have several others over the course of the mod's development.

Why not join Gladys of the Coritani, Djella of the Garamantes, Khumudi of the Hyksos, Makeda of Saba and 51 other ancient world leaders who are waiting for you to play Anno Domini - Gods and Kings?!!?

Version four: March 25th 2013

Download at Atomic Gamer (in winrar format)

Subscribe on Steam

Don't forget to delete any old versions of Anno Domini you may have

Map pack by Leni Riefenstahl

Version 4 updates:
  • Shukuthlu's graphics updated
  • Babylonian Bowmen now upgrade to composite bowmen
  • Adds Animism, Ashurism and Eastern Orthodoxy to the religions
  • Improved civilizations' religion choice
  • Corrected Canaanism not showing in city tooltip
  • Corrected lembus
  • New graphics from Ambrox62 for Trajan's column
  • Hittite "first to iron" trait changed: now gives Great General when iron working is discovered, double iron quantites and +1 production from strategic resources
  • Altered the timeframe slightly; now takes a little longer to get to AD1 and the game finishes on an earlier date
  • Techs later in the tech tree cost a little more to research

Version 3 (March 19th) updates:
Spoiler :

• Hyksos trait modified to "Never eliminated from the game. Units 20% stronger outside friendly territory"
  • Religious icons now show up in cities
  • Tradition finisher now is +20% growth in cities and a free well in your first six cities
  • Pergamon altar now doubles, not triples, city-state influence
  • Added "Pont du Gard" wonder
  • Corrected longboat obsoletion error
  • All DLC and Gods and Kings now added as dependencies
  • Fixed Athens units - now they are flavoured Greek units
  • Fixed Maritime city-states pic (had green dots on previously)
  • Fixed civ icon textures, where it would show a black circle with some civs when they went to war or built a wonder
  • Fixed Persian Immortal obsoletion error
  • Fixed Thebes spy names crash
  • Taken out duplication of "can cross ocean when embarked"
  • Added farms +1 with access to fresh water to Civil Service
  • Fixed galleass - it can now enter oceans
  • Aksum UA ability description states "Aksum" not "Ethiopia"
  • Chariot archer issue corrected by returning to standard generic Chariot Archer graphic, except for some UUs, which have been made melee units in line with the graphics
  • Greek axeman unit art changed
  • Victory conditions updated in civilopedia
  • Updated diplomatic victory picture
  • Aksum stele now only accumilates +1 faith, not +2 faith as before
  • Warrior's combat strength reduced to 6

Version 2 (March 5th) updates:
Spoiler :

New stuff
  • Three new civs join Anno Domini - Aksum, Corinth and the Jutes
  • Tactics is a new tech; it allows the heavy spearman, making a three-tier spearman line
  • Unit strength values slightly adjusted; the early spearman becomes a Mycanae-era one; the middle spearman is prevalent around the time of the Greek hoplites and the final spearman is an early centuries AD-era spearman
  • The longboat is added to the unit list, to give a melee ship with Navigation
  • Envoys, diplomats and ambassadors improve city-state relationships
  • A slight tinkering with the Anno Domini-era tech tree, mainly to make the late units appear at the right time
  • The vintner, with viticulture, gives a small culture, gold and happiness boost to those cities with a local source of wine

Corrections
  • Correction to the toolbar issue raised by PawelS and fixed by Tomatekh
  • Updated Garamantes icons and map by Tomatekh
  • Corrected era artwork
  • Corrected era titles
  • All city lists now in correct format

If anyone would like to use any of the graphics I've made for Anno Domini, they don't need to ask. In fact, I'd be flattered to see any of my work in anyone else's mod!

Attachments

• HistoricReligionFontIcons.rar
    3.5 KB · Views: 274
Thanks

Thanks to Ambrox62, cool3a2s, Davey, Davii Adams, FramedArchitect, hangman, Hulfgar, JFDaly, Irkalla, John Crawford, Numitor, Putmalk, Mark Williams, Tomatekh, for your mods, which I've taken elements from and used in Anno Domini. Looking through how some of you had done things in XML helped me figure out what I needed to do!

Thanks to Kwadjh for the Game of Thrones icons and to garlic pudding for his civilization icons.

Thanks to Danrell and JTitan for all the unit skins and to Nutty, Gedemon, Androrc the Orc and JJimmyJ for helping me get them working in the mod. They really do look sensational in-game.

Thank-you Nutty for the vast improvement to the city-state screen and thanks to Civ IV creators cfKane, Ekmek, Melcher, nitram15, Novator, pencilgod, Saibotieh, The Capo and veBear for the leaderhead art which I converted to the artwork for the city-state leaders.

Thank-you Gazebo for doing the city-state diplomacy mod, elements of which are in Anno Domini.

Thanks Tomatekh for the support via pm! Thanks also to whoward69 for your help and modding advice.

Thanks to Tomatekh, FramedArchitect and Moriboe for the lua programming.

Thanks to giladteller for the Israel icon, to sputtnik for the Celtic icons, to Lonegamer for the Highlander, to jpbar81 for the mandir icon and to Cyon for the Kingdom of Kongo graphics. Thanks to Pouakai for some of the world wonders in the mod. Thanks to JanBoruta for the maps and icons.

Thank-you very much, wikipedia, for many of the civilopedia entries. Thanks also to Plotinus, whose "Rood and the Dragon" was the source of some of the Ancient British civilopedia entries.

A big thanks to Roman Britain online which is a fantastic source of information. The British tribes stuff came mainly from there.

A big thumbs up to everyone over at Civfanatics, which is a great place to be if you're a Civilization fan!

Thanks to everyone at Firaxis for creating such a fantastic game!

Congratulations !!! :king:
A very ambitious project that fills a gap in the current CiV mod world !!! :goodjob:

Rob (R8XFT) said:
It is important to note that you will need to have all the DLC for the Vanilla game and the Gods and Kings expansion for Anno Domini to work.

Unfortunately this is a big issue for many potential players. I consider it a flaw in a mod design. :(

Congratulations !!! :king:
A very ambitious project that fills a gap in the current CiV mod world !!! :goodjob:

Unfortunately this is a big issue for many potential players. I consider it a flaw in a mod design. :(

Thanks for the comments and we'll have to agree to differ on whether or not it is actually a flaw in the mod design. I fully intended this to be the case; people do have an option to buy the various packs or not. There have been numerous sales with DLC being as cheap as 75p per DLC at some points. I therefore don't see it as a flaw in the design as I actually deliberately made it this way in order to use as much as I could from Firaxis' original material.

I certainly don't wish to comment on anyone's individual preferences as to whether or not they wish to buy all the DLC - that is a choice we all make. However, I'm not going to detract from the mod by taking out things I would like to see in it just because some people won't have the DLC. This is something I've worked relentless on over a period of time which is now free for people to download - so it needs to be accepted in the format it comes in. I don't intend for this stance to be offensive and apologise in advance if it's taken that way.

This looks cool, I'll be sure to try it out.

I'm curious. Why not make an official entry for it in the civfanatics database for modpacks? You can set a link for the item instead of uploading a file and your modpack will have more visibility than just a thread. Big mods like this need to be shared as much as possible.

This looks cool, I'll be sure to try it out.

I'm curious. Why not make an official entry for it in the civfanatics database for modpacks? You can set a link for the item instead of uploading a file and your modpack will have more visibility than just a thread. Big mods like this need to be shared as much as possible.

Thanks for the comments. I've set the "official entry" for my mods before in the civfanatics database; I just wanted to wait a couple of weeks whilst I do my first update before doing so with this mod and also uploading to the steam workshop.

About the DLC issue, I think that replacement mods could do the job. Nothing prevents anyone to create a new civilization, a new improvement or a new units using the same abilities as the one used by the DLC and required in this mod (or another one requesting specific DLC), as long as you do not copy any artwork or model from the DLC but use new ones.

Great mod! I have nothing against requiring all the DLC, as they contain some interesting unit models - it would be a waste not to use them.

I noticed a serious problem though, after loading a saved game the top bar looks like this:

After ending the turn it looks normally, but the tooltips for the top bar don't work (they say "Brief description".)

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0013.png
    Civ5Screen0013.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 17,376
I also don't think the DLC is a problem. Some people might complain, but people need to accept that there are limits to what a modder can do and the solution to this is to require certain DLC.

With that said, are you sure your mod does need all the DLC?

There are really only three DLC that are absolutely needed (outside of adding the DLC civs):

G&K (for obvious reasons)
Wonders of the World (if you are using the Vulture and Heavy Chariot 3D graphic, and the Wonder graphics)
Denmark/Vikings (if you are using the Motte and Bailey graphic)

Those are the three things that can't be replicated by modders.

The rest falls down to icons (as all the ability tags are already in the DLL and so don't need the DLC dependency). I haven't checked how many DLC scenario specific icons you use (outside of the ones from the 3 DLC above), but if it's only like 1 or 2, honestly, I would say take the icons from the scenario atlases and put them in your own. People on the forums complain about this but: there are a ton of mods that already do this and no one seems to care (and they've never been taken of steam), no one is buying the DLC just for 1 or 2 icons so it's not hurting DLC sales, you are not using them in a way to somehow replicate the original content (remaking the scenario), and you are not using them for something outside of civ v. I honestly feel if it's just 1 or 2 you're borrowing it's fine. Now if it's almost every single DLC scenario icon made, that's a different story. There are a few decent icon makers on the forums and they've made some icons which could easily act as a replacement for some of the DLC scenario icons.

Again, this is only if you're looking for a way to cut down on the dependencies, which is entirely your choice to do so or not. It's entirely fine to require all of them. (Plus, the Gold edition upgrade is pretty cheap for the content).

Great mod! I have nothing against requiring all the DLC, as they contain some interesting unit models - it would be a waste not to use them.

I noticed a serious problem though, after loading a saved game the top bar looks like this:

After ending the turn it looks normally, but the tooltips for the top bar don't work (they say "Brief description".)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - recently I'd not played any saved games and was unaware of this. I think it's in connection to the trait I've put in for the Kievan Rus - this required me using lua code to change the top panel - lua code, I hasten to add that I don't really have the capability of writing; I've taken it from elsewhere (the Kievan Rus mod). Tomatekh has been kind enough to explain to me how to implement it in Anno Domini, but possibly I've done something wrong when I implemented that.

I have tested it for myself though and it would seem that I get that same effect if I try to load my own saved games, but reloading the auto saves that are done every 10 turns seems to still work properly - so one work-around for now is to use that as an option?

In terms of the DLC comments; I'm happy to list what I've used from each DLC and see if there's a work-around, but not if it detracts from the mod. The intention is that this mod is a mod I personally would like to play that I'm also sharing with you guys so that you can either play it or rip it apart for your own mods - it happens - so I want to be able to enjoy the benefits of having the DLC. As an aside, I believe that Firaxis will bring out a second expansion this year, followed by a "platinum" version which includes everything and within a couple of years having all the original DLC may become a standard for mods.

So, here goes:
Mongols: Using horse archer graphics plus animated Ghenghis Khan LH for Scythia. Using the trait - does this need the DLC in place for it to work? As per all the other DLC, I'm using the civ colours, but these could be reworked.
Babylon: Using all of the Babylon graphics, including animated LH - also the trait.
Spain/Inca: Main thing here is the slinger, though the traits have been reworked.
Polynesia: The Wayfarer trait and some icons are being used; I would be uncomfortable using those from the DLC for people who haven't bought it, though icons could potentially could be found from elsewhere (but these are darned good and I'd prefer not to swap them).
Denmark Berserker unit and also sokesman from the scenario; LH being used for the Frisii; reworked version of the trait, though I think that's in G&K (as is the sokesman I think). Also using the hill fort from the scenario (in which its the motte and bailey castle)
Korea The trait is the only thing I'm using here (I think) though was planning to potentially use the ship if we expand AD to the East in a further update.
Map pack Not required for AD, but does give some cool maps to play on.
Wonders of the Ancient world All three wonders are being used - no surprises there as it's an ancient world scenario! I know I could use a different icon for each, but there's the models as well which I like. I'm also using the hittite war chariot and sumerian phalanx and it would be a shame for those not to be in the mod.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - recently I'd not played any saved games and was unaware of this. I think it's in connection to the trait I've put in for the Kievan Rus - this required me using lua code to change the top panel - lua code, I hasten to add that I don't really have the capability of writing; I've taken it from elsewhere (the Kievan Rus mod). Tomatekh has been kind enough to explain to me how to implement it in Anno Domini, but possibly I've done something wrong when I implemented that.

I have tested it for myself though and it would seem that I get that same effect if I try to load my own saved games, but reloading the auto saves that are done every 10 turns seems to still work properly - so one work-around for now is to use that as an option

The PM I sent before explains how to fix this issue:

**At the top of the TopPanel.lua file you'll need to change the line (I think it's at line 4):

include("Rus' Top Panel Check.lua");

to

include("Armenia top panel check.lua");

**Also set "Armenia top panel check.lua", VFS = True in addition to loading it through InGameUIAddin

Also, credit goes to FramedArchitect and Moriboe for most of the Lua' used in my Rus' mod.

In terms of the DLC comments; I'm happy to list what I've used from each DLC and see if there's a work-around, but not if it detracts from the mod. The intention is that this mod is a mod I personally would like to play that I'm also sharing with you guys so that you can either play it or rip it apart for your own mods - it happens - so I want to be able to enjoy the benefits of having the DLC. As an aside, I believe that Firaxis will bring out a second expansion this year, followed by a "platinum" version which includes everything and within a couple of years having all the original DLC may become a standard for mods.

I think it's fine using all the DLC; the hardest thing for most modders is getting official looking art. There's enough limitations to the modding system as it is without worrying about stuff like that.

The PM I sent before explains how to fix this issue:

**At the top of the TopPanel.lua file you'll need to change the line (I think it's at line 4):

include("Rus' Top Panel Check.lua");

to

include("Armenia top panel check.lua");

**Also set "Armenia top panel check.lua", VFS = True in addition to loading it through InGameUIAddin

Also, credit goes to FramedArchitect and Moriboe for most of the Lua' used in my Rus' mod.

I obviously wasn't paying attention properly - thought what I'd done worked, but I've been proved wrong!! Thank-you AGAIN for all your help - and loving the new Garamantes icons and maps you did!

The intention is that this mod is a mod I personally would like to play that I'm also sharing with you guys so that you can either play it or rip it apart for your own mods - it happens - so I want to be able to enjoy the benefits of having the DLC.

That's the point : first of all you should have fun playing your own mod :)

I will not be able to play it because I don't plan to buy the missing DLCs, but I just wanted to say that your mod looks great.

Good job Rob :goodjob:

Top Bottom