Best players?

Actually, yes. There are 2 more players that shown their incredible strength in the past in the name of Ribannah and DaveMcW. But for some reason they don't play HoF and GOTM games anymore.

I think there are more, too, but i think they dont have any interest in submitting and de facto don't play GotMs. im curious how a few HoF guys would do in GotM but they dont play these, presumably for real life stuff but also to not need to prove who is best.

for the original poster, i think half the game is going to be undoing preconceived notions of the game. Let's Plays with commentary are the best source, imo. Even just playing the game will have you develop habits that aren't beneficial because there are subtle details that separate the best from the good players.

tommynt said that following some plans isn't as good as adjusting to the game situations. that is definitely correct but you would also need an incredibly thorough knowledge of every game mechanic. basically, learning all the strengths of each civ, settings, victory condition, difficulty, units, terrain, diplomacy, combat, etc. will be what defines you as good or not. if you are just now getting into this game you will need a LARGE amount of knowledge to really grasp how to be good at Civ5. it isnt the kind of game with a turn-by-turn "best" format approach for each game. this also may be a detriment to the game being "fun" if it takes a college-level degree to master this game. some people do math problems for fun and others hate it. Civ5 is definitely a large set of math problems at the really good player levels, imo.

There is always a bigger fish, tommy.

As for best LP's for learning to become a master of evil - it's definitely tommy's, even though he doesn't bother with commentary. Others, mostly, don't strive to achieve flawless environment in every single game they play, with plenty of mistakes, rushed decisions, and, generally, casual approach. That is valuable too, as every game that started can be finished: you lost a city, half of your army, so what, keep playing and win!

I enjoy watching LC and Maddjinn play their games, even though sometimes I want to grab their mouse and do it "my way" :D Still, games are highly entertaining and immersive.

Yoruus has some 60 multiplayer games recorded. All of them in quick speed and very competitive. Every single one of them.

Marbozir .. i'd like to watch but he talks so fast and so much that i forget what he said 30 seconds ago .. forever.

PrimEval is a cool guy, very good voice, thorough explanations of every move, both MP and SP. Doesn't post for a while now.

Builderftw has few interesting MP videos.

I enjoy watching LC and Maddjinn play their games, even though sometimes I want to grab their mouse and do it "my way" :D Still, games are highly entertaining and immersive.

I can understand the sentiment. A lot of mine isn't done "optimally" and I won't claim it to be, I like to dick around and I'm an early warmonger addict because I can't go that long without killing someone :p

Yeah, I think you lose perspective the better you get. You forget what it was like to not micromanage tiles, to be bewildered by all the tech and building and social policy choices. It becomes hard to relate to why someone would want a step-by-step plan to follow. But there are so many things to manage in Civ that it really helps to not have to think about ALL of it.

A lot of the pro tips are wasted on someone who isn't yet at that point.

tommy gets my vote if you're already a Deity player wanting to up your game. You have to be able to guess why he does what he does though without audio, which requires a thorough understanding of civ and Deity. I didn't get that far into his vids though... without audio I zone out.

I watched a couple of Moriarte's videos. They're good for learning how to play Liberty and domination because he discusses his reasoning.

I watched a couple MadDjinn videos back in G&K and found them entertaining and useful, but I find the live interaction over IM distracting. I'd rather watch him just play and talk about his decision-making process.

Other than that, I haven't really watched any videos. I liked Tabarnak's G&K Tradition guide though. And Deau's cultural victory guide, even though it's kinda spread out over multiple posts/threads. He should unify it. :D

My own posts I don't recommend. :lol:

I talk too much, lose track of my point, and specifically my Honor guide worked a lot better before the warmongering nerf. So don't throw my name in that hat, please. :p

I couldn't watch tommy's videos. The lack of audio was too depressing.

I'm not playing Civ5 BNW fully as yet, but hope to soon.

I like Yoruus vids, hope he keeps pumping the MP games out:)
He's not trying to be the greatest, just to have a great game each time.. Infectious attitude imo.

Marbozir's videos are definitely the most fun for me, he has the most thorough and entertaining commentary.

Yoruus, when he wants to play well.

In his MP games he sometimes wants to experiment with stuff (which is good) so doesn't get it always right. His long term planning sometimes fails him.

His battle micromanagement is second to none I think. When he puts together an army + 4/5 workers (citadels/road) to attack someone, duel or free for all they rarely stand a chance.

His naval battle management is just in its own league. He has such a feel for naval micromanagement it's phenomenal.

His other strength is messing up with other people's minds in MP. He sometimes just manipulates people at will.

One of the greatest. Granted he's not 100% consistent because of experimentation but when he wants to put his foot down it's a pleasure to watch.

My vote goes to Yoruus for MP games. He seems to be very cool and down to earth person. He is also very modest. One video Yoruus said he's only a little bit better than average when he actually is much better.

My vote goes to Yoruus for MP games. He seems to be very cool and down to earth person. He is also very modest. One video Yoruus said he's only a little bit better than average when he actually is much better.

How can u "vote" for some1 without knowing the competition?

Thats Like some English guy saying that Machester is best football club just cause he dont know Bayern Munich or other clubs at all.

Thats Like some English guy saying that Machester is best football club just cause he dont know Bayern Munich or other clubs at all.

Perhaps he does know the competition, and is making an informed decision...? Yes, choosing the "best" players is mostly a matter of opinion, but the fact remains that, even though two players may excel at strategy and gameplay, for some people one player's videos are likely to be more helpful than the other's.

Perhaps he does know the competition, and is making an informed decision...? Yes, choosing the "best" players is mostly a matter of opinion, but the fact remains that, even though two players may excel at strategy and gameplay, for some people one player's videos are likely to be more helpful than the other's.

Just like that. What I meant Yoruus videos are best multiplayer videos available in my opinion. I dont mean his best player just that he makes best videos.

For Tommy: Some people say Jose Mourinho can't be good football coach because he has never played football but in fact his one of the best coaches.

because with your attitude you will never be beloved and famous :o imho tommynt is already totally overrated. if u look at the time hes wasting and his actual skill ;):eek:

so why dont u post in one those 10 threads about Videos but in the 1 about Player skills?

I saw a video where you lost to Yoruus, so he is better than you to learn from, according to your own logic.

I saw a video where you lost to Yoruus, so he is better than you to learn from, according to your own logic.

Grab a napkin Tommynt, you just got served.

Anyway, I find MadDjinn to be a player who's not only highly skilled, but he's relatable and good at teaching new players things which most pros take for granted. I also like Elcee, although he does a lot of suboptimal things for the fun of it

Top Bottom