It's Sir Tommy, If You Please...

EzInKy

Excentric
Honour for US Iraq General Franks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3748089.stm

The US commander of the US-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has received an honorary knighthood.

Former US General Tommy Franks, who planned and headed up the operations, was given the honour in a private ceremony, the Ministry of Defence said.

General Franks, who retired last year, was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire.

The award was "in recognition of Iraq and Afghanistan where he had UK troops under his command," the MoD said.

Secrecy questioned

The ceremony for the 58-year-old Texan was attended by his wife, Cathy, and Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon.

Liberal Democrat defence spokesman Paul Keetch questioned why the award had been kept confidential.

General Franks, who served in Vietnam, stepped down in 2003 after three years as head of the US military's Central Command.

He took up the post days before al-Qaeda attacked the American warship USS Cole in a Yemeni harbour, killing 17 American sailors.

Tactics praised

In the Iraq campaign he saw off many of the critics who described him as leaden-footed and too conventional.

Other praised him for making dramatic use of US special forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.

He preferred to use speedy tactics above amassing overwhelming force - an approach which enabled Baghdad to be taken in three weeks.

In the war's initial stages he was lauded by the Pentagon and White House for running efficient campaigns while coalition casualties were at a minimum.

He joins former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, ex-President Ronald Reagan, Secretary of State Colin Powell and director Steven Spielberg in receiving the award.

How many Knight Commanders are there? Must be confusing for the knights to figure out...

Anyway, at least Franks has executed the "major combat operations" very efficiently.

"General Franks, who retired last year, was made a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire."

He is an honourary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire. That means he can't put 'Sir' before his name. He has to become a British or Commonwealth citizen for that priviledge.

It's nice to see that our cousins across the sea are still just as interested in landed titles as they ever were.

Congratulations and best of luck to the bloke.Nice to see people like that rewarded by another country.I would always consider an award made to me by another country being a bigger honour than one made by my own.
I would be interested to know what he thought of it.The link did'nt really say.

A~

Top Bottom