Bug Reports

Do you know who made the Viking horseman model? Is there anything special about it?

Something is up, and I want to figure out why I'm not seeing the right background first. When I start the game, I get the Warlords background, NOT any LoR background. However, when I'm loading a game, then I get the LoR loading screen -- looks like some kind of painting from the French Revolution; I'm not sure.

So why could that be? Do you think it has to do with the fact that I'm running, uh, "Civilization IV: The Complete Edition"? Maybe the directories for things have been changed around?

Who made the Viking horseman model? Is there anything special about it?

Not sure who made that one. It is one of the few I didnt replace with Bakuels' units. I think it is one of Chuggi's though, possible one of his lord of the rings units. Its been in there since before this mod was even LoR. Theres nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. But I might as well replace just to be safe, bekuel made a better one, so it will be gone in the next release in the next few days.

Something is up, and I want to figure out why I'm not seeing the right background first. When I start the game, I get the Warlords background, NOT any LoR background. However, when I'm loading a game, then I get the LoR loading screen -- looks like some kind of painting from the French Revolution; I'm not sure.

I dont see how thats possible, very strange. At the very least you should get the old LoR background with the battleships. As I think those were left in there. I dont see how its calling on the warlords one.

So why could that be? Do you think it has to do with the fact that I'm running, uh, "Civilization IV: The Complete Edition"? Maybe the directories for things have been changed around?

I have no idea about that kind of thing. Hopefully phungus can answer that.

I'm playing the latest beta on a clean install of BTS with 3.19 and on the civic screen there is no OK button, only a Cancel button. It means I can't change civics!

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Sword

It most likely means you haven't waited 5 turns since the last time you changed civics. Or you could have just changed your religion and are in anarchy. Changing civics rules hasn't changed from default BtS. If you're sure that all the relevant Civilization rules are met, and you are experiencing a bug please upload a save. Though I'm pretty sure it's because the regular civics changing needs aren't met ;)

The Sioux UB is the Fire Circle, which gives 1+ :) to Charismatic leaders, but their only leader is Sitting Bull, and he's Protective and Enlightened in this mod ...

phungus: As you can see, Hitler has taken Bismarck's place due to unrest in Germany (not far from true history), but Bismarck's name still shows up over the leaderhead and on the civ list to the right. This happens to all leaders who are toppled in the course of the game.

Wonder what happens in civs that only have one leader, though ...

Attachments

• hitmarck.jpg
    hitmarck.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 82
The Sioux UB is the Fire Circle, which gives 1+ :) to Charismatic leaders, but their only leader is Sitting Bull, and he's Protective and Enlightened in this mod ...

Thats just coincidence and a little misfortune. Fire circle is pretty much just a graphic and name swap for the totem pole. Seeings how totem poles had nothing to do with Sioux. It kept all its totem pole abilities, so the same thing was going on in BTS. Monuments always +1 happy with Charismatic and Sitting bull was protective in BtS as well, with a monument UB.

Achilles: I see. Thank you for clearing it up.

Another thing I've noticed. Horsemen seem to be able to blitz-attack. But only if you first attack, then leave them for a moment and attack with other units. When you return to the Horseman (in the same turn, of course), you can attack again, assuming you have movement left. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

Another thing I've noticed. Horsemen seem to be able to blitz-attack. But only if you first attack, then leave them for a moment and attack with other units. When you return to the Horseman (in the same turn, of course), you can attack again, assuming you have movement left. Has anyone else seen this, or is it just me?

Really?!?! Is this occuring in the scenario, that you are having the leader name trouble in, as well? Or normal LoR?

That's... very interesting. I'll have to give this a try some time. I don't believe I have experienced this. Are you sure you didn't have multiple Horsemen and weren't just attacking with a different one?

Also these screenshot are unusual... I don't know if this bug lies with LoR or the core game, though. You'll notice in the "Local Legends Bug" image (the one to the far right of the attached thumbnails) that right when I started the game, there was a "Local Legends" tag on one of the tiles. Given that the year is 4000 BC, it would be impossible for an event to have occurred, and, indeed, the tile itself is not indicative of an event having occurred.

In the next set of images you will see that our team [of Gandhis] was the first to research Liberalism. Now in my selection of which technology to pick, I had several options that were 5628 points (this was on quick speed and since it was a team game the research is higher): Military Tradition, Astronomy, Constitution, and Military Science. All but Astronomy were listed as nine turns, but for whatever reason, Astronomy was listed as eleven turns. If they are the same amount of peakers, why should it take any more turns?

I do have the save file of the Local Legend one, but it's a hot seat game, so it would have to be loaded accordingly. I probably have the Liberalism one as an auto-save still, too.

Attachments

• Research Confusion 1.jpg
    Research Confusion 1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Research Confusion 2.jpg
    Research Confusion 2.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 65
  • Local Legend Bug.jpg
    Local Legend Bug.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 123
In the next set of images you will see that our team [of Gandhis] was the first to research Liberalism. Now in my selection of which technology to pick, I had several options that were 5628 points (this was on quick speed and since it was a team game the research is higher): Military Tradition, Astronomy, Constitution, and Military Science. All but Astronomy were listed as nine turns, but for whatever reason, Astronomy was listed as eleven turns. If they are the same amount of peakers, why should it take any more turns?

This is unlikely to be a bug. There are several research bonuses for researching technologies:
-you know one or several prerequisite technologies
-several other civilisations already have the technology

So if you have more prerequisite technologies for the other technologies than for astronomy, then astronomy will get a lower research bonus and be researched slower. This can make a significant difference in research time.

That's... very interesting. I'll have to give this a try some time. I don't believe I have experienced this. Are you sure you didn't have multiple Horsemen and weren't just attacking with a different one?

Yes, I thought that for a long time, but then I realized it was the same one. Strange as it sounds.

I've had this bug with LoR with BTS 3.17, and 3.19. It's currently happening with the latest LoR version.

What will happen is this: I get to a specific year (different in each game) where when I press enter to go to the next turn, it just hangs. The cursor is the spinning globe, the text says "waiting for other players" and I can scroll around the map, but nothing ever happens -- it doesn't progress to the next turn. It will stay this way for hours, until I alt-tab and kill the game.

If I reload to a previous year, the same thing will happen when I arrive at the place where it had the problem. Sometimes, if I go back to a far enough back saved game, I will reach the "problem year" and make it by without a problem.

I've got a relatively old computer, and I purchased BtS from Direct2drive. Anything else you might need?

Saved game is attached. The year is 1430, when I go to the next turn, the hang occurs.

Attachments

• caliban02 AD-1430_locksup_next_turn.CivBeyondSwordSave
    592.2 KB · Views: 49
Thanks. Will take a look, last time a similar bug was found it was an AI logic bug introduced by RevDCM, will take a look and see what's going on and present it to jdog if it looks to be related to AI logic.

Also for those presenting Name issues with switched leaders, this is a bug introduced by 3.19, you can see it reported in the Unofficial Patch forum. A fix will eventually make it into RevDCM as the UP is included, but is not incorporated in the latest build.

Thanks for the quick response! It definitely feels like some kind of loop in the revolutions logic, because it happens in the part of the AI turn where it normally calculates if a city will break away, or new empire get founded.

Definatly a critical bug, nearly positive it is related to AI logic. I also have a strong hunch it's caused by the same critical bug reported before that jdog thought he fixed by muting the assert failure message. Anyway I've passed along the report to jdog here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8307127&postcount=558

@caliban02

This is definatly a bug caused by AI logic, either it is intrinsic to RevDCM or BetterAI itself (So this affects alot of mods), so good find, hopefully jdog will fix it soon for the next RevDCM build. It should be exceptionally rare though. Anyway I was able to track the offending unit, and have fixed your save you can play on and continue your game.

Wow, very nice -- normally I'd have to pay a lot for tech support like this.

Great work.

If you don't mind me asking, you seemed to imply it was related to a specific unit. Is this something I can debug on my own? I have a number of other saved games that were encountering the same problem.

Sort of. Are these save games for 0.9.3 or above? If they are I'd like to see them, if they are from 0.8.2 then I'd just let it go, there were a couple 0.8.2 AI logic bugs found and squashed. The way I track it is I use a debug dll which tells me if anything obvious is going wrong (in this instance it said nothing :( ). Then after checking for asserts I'll switch players (ctrl + shift + L also you need to turn on the switching player function in the Revolution.ini file) until you find the problem civ. Then it's just trial and error doing things like removing cities in WB and seeing what fixes it, then narrowing in on the culprit.

You can find a debug gamecore for LoR 0.9.3 and higher here:
http://www.filefront.com/13945729/Debugdll.zip/
Just make sure you switch to windowed mod (you do this in the main BtS ini file) when using a debug dll, as otherwise asserts that trip can cause issues.

Top Bottom