Night of the Werewolves XXVII: Night of Blood Sign Up Thread

oyzar

Have quit civ/forums
The innkeeper finished brushing off the table and looked around the tavern.

It had been a busy day. A lot of people had been coming to the village lately. It is strange, since there isn’t anything particularly interesting about this village, nor does it lead to anywhere important. What business did people have traveling around in the middle of the winter anyways? With this weather they were stuck here until the passes cleared again.

Well it wasn’t his business what people were doing around here. While he was technically the major of this small village, that didn’t hold much power and he was busy enough running his inn. More people meant more business for him. Several people were staying in the inn itself and some were also in the rented our cottages that the inn also owned. The population of this small village had nearly doubled since last week.

He looked into the kitchen to his wife and chef. “How are you doing my love? Busy today eh?” She looked up from the pot she was making. “Yah, loads of people coming and going. I don’t like the look of all of them. Quite a few looks like they don’t want good if you know what I mean.” The major wrinkles his brow. “Well as long as they pay. I don’t care what they are doing here. It is not our business to mess with others. Night is falling so I’ll go out and lock the gate.”

He walked across the tavern and out the door. There was a small courtyard outside with a wooden palisade around a gate keeping things locked up. As much to keep strangers from wandering around the town at night as to keep people out.

There were some horses in the stable. Some of the travelers must be wealthy as they were fine beasts. The village was mostly self sustained, although tools and equipment mostly had to be brought in by traders. There wasn’t a smith in the village itself. He was sure there were some merchants among the many people staying at the inn right now. Maybe he should check out if they had some tools for him. He could use another kitchen knife.

As he locked up the gate he thought what he needed to do tomorrow. First thing he needed to talk to the brewer as with all the people visiting, ale was always needed. He should also meet with the butcher to get some fresh meat.

The snow was falling heavily. That obscured his vision quite a bit. Even if he could see he wouldn’t have been able to do anything about the approaching figure however…

Night of the Werewolves XXVII

Hello, and welcome to NoTWXXVII. This is the latest in the Night of the Werewolves series of roleplaying mafia games. If you're unfamiliar with them, check out the information thread, and feel free to join this one to try it out. I'll assume that the reader is familiar with the basic format here, and just go out of my way to emphasize a few house rules this time around. All players should read the following sections - some rules are pretty traditional, but others might be unexpected.

First I will say that I might not be following FFH flavor in the strictest sense. This story could probably have happened in the ffh universe, but it is set in a more “generic” fantasy world.

Time Cycle – The game will alternate between 48 hour days and 24 hour nights. During the daytime, accusations and item votes may be made, and public messages may be posted. During the night, player abilities may be used in secret by PM'ing the GM. Private messages may be sent regardless of the time of day.

Note also that secret messages can be sent through the GM. Just PM me whatever you want the message to be, and whether you want it to be public, or forwarded anonymously to a particular player, and it will be done upon the next morning, midday, or evening post. This is effectively a looser version of the old "secret voice" system from classic NotW.

Voting – There will be no voting, just accusations. The first day 2/3 of accusations are needed to kill a player. The next 2 days a majority of the accusations are needed, after that more than the runner up is the only thing needed.

Originally Posted by Niklas
Alright, here's the thing:

When disaster strikes, you find yourself an isolated group with a werewolf (or whatever) among you, is it reasonable that the first thing you do is start voting on one person to hang per day? Heck no.

When disaster strikes, you find yourself an isolated group with a werewolf (or whatever) among you, is it reasonable that accusations fly back and forth, tempers flare, steel flashes and blood is spilled? Heck yeah!

My mechanic is intended to capture exactly this subtle difference. In my games there were no votes and no hangings. There were accusations and (more or less) accidental deaths. In effect they are exactly similar, but one gives a believable story and the other doesn't.

For the players, the only difference is that they should take care to cast their accusations in roleplay style, so instead of "The Wool Merchant gets my vote", you would instead have to say "I find the Wool Merchant's presence very unsettling, I bet he is the werewolf that has arrived among us". Not much different for how most already play, and how IMO everyone should play.

For the GM, the difference is a bit more tricky, but also more liberal. Instead of the everyday hanging, beheading, throwing off a cliff, walking the plank or whatever standard lynch mechanism has been used, you get to do the death free-style, different each day. In my game the wool merchant was trying to escape the angry people at the table that had started throwing their wine goblets after him, and as he ran he tripped and fell down the stairs and broke his neck. He was innocent. The Guardsman on the other hand was first accused by the noble Knight, and when it came down to it the Knight drew his sword in challenge, to which the Guardsman answered by growing furs. Then I could implement that death as the Knight killing the Guardsman in single combat.

You get the idea. Roleplaying and storytelling in a believable setting, rather than trying to tack an unreasonable and not believable out-of-game mechanic (the voting) into the setting itself.
In addition to accusation, it is possible to give someone your vote of confidence. This work as an inverse accusation.
There will also be some items revealed during the course of the game. These will be voted for publicly. A person with “normal” accusation power would get 1 vote. Those with more accusation power get the equivalent amount of votes.

Any accusations or votes can be sent privately to the GM and will then be announced in the evening post.

Injuries – Some things might cause some players to be injured. While injured a person normally can’t accuse someone nor perform night actions. How injuries get cured will remain a mystery.

Character stats – There will be numerous stats for each character; the only one available in the thread will be your public title and your gender.

Races – Everyone will get a race, these might not work as you think and they will not be public available, most people in the games will be humans however as this is a human village.

Victory Condition – This is the title for how you win the game. The one most people get is “Innocent”.

Personal Goal – Usually personal goals are just for flavor, to add some action to the game and bragging points after the game. In this game it will be all this and more. Whoever has completed their personal goal will get twice their normal accusation power. This means that if your personal goal is to have a person survive you have twice the accusation power while that person is alive; if your goal is to get someone killed you will have twice the accusation power after that person is dead. A person who have their personal goal completed feel more “complete” and is more confident and better able to show their views and as such get this extra power.

Items – Several people will get items. These can be transferred privately at any update post (morning/midday/evening). They can also be revealed privatly between parties this way. They can also be revealed in public. They will then be voted upon the next day.

You will also get listed abilities if you have any. Gender will be listed as well and your base strength for endgame determination (abilities or items might alter this however).

Communication Etiquette – Regarding public messages, try to keep night talking to a minimum. Also, if you have OOC stuff to talk about that doesn't pertain to playing the game, talk about it in the signup thread or in the general NotW thread. That means that if you're suspicious of someone 'cause there was no night kill last night, and this person was inactive, by all means post it in the thread. If, on the other hand, you saw an image in the mustard on your chilli dog that totally reminded you of something that one of your fellow players said the other day, it'd probably go best elsewhere. And one other thing: If you're dead, don't make any posts regarding the game, please. I know that the standard "Aw guys you shouldn't have lynched me" can be sort of amusing, but there's too thin a line between that and after-death meaningful communication, which is forbidden.

Regarding private messages, there's a reason they're called private. Don't directly copy and paste quotes from private messages into other private messages or into public posts. Summarize them if you want, but don't give a word-for-word quote, and don't give the impression that you're doing so. The big exception here is if you know that the recipient has already seen the PM in question - that is, you can see on your copy of the PM that it was also forwarded to the third party. This exception is there just because it makes group discussions over CFC's PM system a lot more convenient.

Finally, remember that this last rule goes doubly for any PMs you have from the GM - do not, under any circumstances, copy and paste your ability description, your motivation, your victory condition, or anything else from your starting PM. The same goes for confirmations of ability use or whatever. Summarize it if you want, but word-for-word quotes are not permitted.

Oh and anyone who forwards pm’s to me as well as the recipient or give me summary of their thoughts on IM would be greatly appreciated. I want to know what is going on in the game as well!

I might have forgotten to add something or things might be revealed as the game progress (or afterwards), but this should be enough to get you started.

Sign ups – Sign ups are open. The game will have space to accommodate quite a large amount of players. Hopefully not too many will be away for vacation or if they are they will be able to play anyway :).

1. RRRaskolnikov
2. KingMorgan
3. Kulko
4. ZPV
5. TheForestAuro
6. BananaLee
7. sprig
8. Ekolite
9. Renata
10. Stuck in Pi
11. Seon
12. Methos
13. Frozen In Ice
14. Winston Hughes
15. Icekommander
16. Pinman
17. Backwards Logic
18. PaulusIII
19. thomas.berubeg
20. civplayah
21. Krill
22. Nictel
23. Chandrasekhar
24. Izipo
25. D'Artagnan59
26. stee
27. J-man
28. gagnarath
29. Catharsis
30. mythmonster2
31. Tolis
32. Autolycus
33. Sepuku
34. Niklas
35. z4ckdabeast
36. CCRunner
37. Memphus

Oh and great thanks to chand whom I borrowed quite a bit of this sign up post from.

I don't want to be the Innkeeper

In as always, but where is CCRunner?

in as usual.

In. IninininIN

Guess what? I've got a fevor, and the only perscription, is more innnage!

Im in for now.

Since the game is up, maybe I'll start INterrogating the GM about his game...

Top Bottom