Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Leoreth looks like he may be gone a while. I thought it might not be a bad idea to post a couple quick fixes I made.

Phoenicia will no longer show up as Carthage on the victory screen.
The Temple of Solomon is now spelled correctly.
Daoism will found at calendar like before, since China rarely founds it now at code of laws.

I'd also like to post some pedia files for the new wonders if I get the time, if anybody's interested.

I was thinking about posting some of the more extensive gameplay mods I've made (like balancing the new wonders, reorganizing civics, spicing up underwhelming/impossible cities like Karachi, Lagos, and Mumbai, adding events, and moving the Scandanavians to Copenhagen, but they still need a little work to make them ready for public consumption, so I thought I'd put this out to test the waters and see how many people are still messing around with DoC.

Attachments

• DoCfixes.rar
    22.2 KB · Views: 44

Are you capable of making Byzantium playable? I've looked into it myself, but this programming business is beyond me.

Are you capable of making Byzantium playable? I've looked into it myself, but this programming business is beyond me.

Both RFCEurope and RFC Middle Ages Middle East have playable Byzantium

It's certainly possible. The problem is that as far as I know, it would require removing a civ, and would take a long time to mod. An easier way might be to introduce Rome or Greece in the 600AD start as Byzantium. Though it looks like someone may have solved the problem. I might look into incorporating that Byzantium scenario, but to be honest, I'd rather finish up some of the modifications I'm already working on now first, since many of them are unfinished. I'll add it to the to do list, which already includes:

1: Reworking many of the wonders to accommodate the new ones Leoreth added. Sphinx, St Basil's, Dome of the Rock, and Temple of Solomon, are the one's that need it bad in my opinion. Also I want to find another way to restrict the Mediterranean wonders without the marble prereq (One big problem is that it slows Egypt and Babylon down since they need to hook up both marble and stone to start on early wonders.) Mostly done, but I want to play a game or to make sure it's balanced.

2: Civics. Leoreth did a great thing trying to redo the civics, RFC really needed it, since they seemed like the only thing unchanged from vanilla, but he's opened up a few new problems, like a secular theocracy and a state property capitalist system. I've got a few ideas on paper waiting to be implemented.

3: Map changes. I greatly modified the map a long time ago on regular RFC, but it was all world builder saves. I need to apply that more seamlessly than a sloppy world builder mod, maybe by making the map change over time.

4: Events. I want to add more events and unit spawns for each civ, (like making Hannibal appear in Northern Italy in 220BC), and maybe a unique quest for each. The first three are all half done, but this is only barely started, but will be probably the most sweeping change.

5: Then I'll see about adding Byzantium, and probably the Celts too while I'm at it.

-long list-

Gee, that's quite a bit of stuff. I'd lend my hand in helping, but like I think I might have said, I don't know anything about XML, python, SDK, or however many other sets of codes there are. The most I can do is play-testing and search out bugs.

2: Civics. Leoreth did a great thing trying to redo the civics, RFC really needed it, since they seemed like the only thing unchanged from vanilla, but he's opened up a few new problems, like a secular theocracy and a state property capitalist system. I've got a few ideas on paper waiting to be implemented.

Republics appear too early because it is unlocked by Philosophy. Maybe move it to constitution or democracy to avoid seeing Tokugawa's republic in the middle ages.

I think the idea was to allow Rome, Greece, or Carthage to have Republics, but with the Parthenon allowing all government civics, that problem is solved. It definitely belongs no earlier than printing press.

Unless Carthage can build the Parthenon (or even conquer the city that had it), a Carthaginian republic is an impossibility.

Let's try giving Rome, Greece and Carthage Constitution on spawn. However, they might build jails.

Republics appear too early because it is unlocked by Philosophy. Maybe move it to constitution or democracy to avoid seeing Tokugawa's republic in the middle ages.

Figuring how happiness is an issue in the Classical era and the Middle Ages, that point is moot. It's hard to run even a Greek democracy because of this so as a civic of choice, Monarchy is hardly threatened. Printing Press or Guilds might work.

I propose that secular theocracy be fixed by making all the government civics "secular" again. Currently Theocracy is the only one with the iStateReligion value at 1, which currently acts funny because it was never meant to be used outside of Religion civic row. I also think Unlimited Priests is more logical if moved to Pantheon. What Theocracy can get by without its temples and cathedrals? That's unlogical.

This would be awesome if someone or someones could pick up the torch from Leoreth. IMO, the most pressing issue is the broken UHV's. Both Greece and China are unwinnable as even if you manage to accomplish certain conditions, the game fails to recognize. I have not played all of the UHV's so there might be even some more problems.

DOC includes old version of RFCMarathon that had seriously broken research rate. Whoever will end up updating it should make sure it's updated to RFCM 1.1 as well, otherwise you'll end up with unattainable UHVs due to techs researching too fast or too slow, among other things.

DOC includes old version of RFCMarathon that had seriously broken research rate. Whoever will end up updating it should make sure it's updated to RFCM 1.1 as well, otherwise you'll end up with unattainable UHVs due to techs researching too fast or too slow, among other things.

Do I only need to edit the XML files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom