Win 7 and XP (64 bit) civ 2 MGE and TOT issues (Fix inside!!)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! I spent 3 hours doing all sorts of crazy things to try and fix it and this finally worked THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I made this account just so I could thank you. you have no idea how happy I am

I cannot get Civ 2 to run on Windows 7. I have tried the compatability tab in Programs and it didn't work. Please help!!!

I can't get the patch to work for windows 7.
I have an original copy of Civ 2 and my pc won't run it.
The file is SETUP.exe and not Civ2 ExeName
Drives me crazy..I really love Civ II..
I just don't know how to get it to install & work..

Hello fellow civfans!

With all the uproar about the Endless War save game, I've been inspired to play Civ2 again (have been enjoying 5 lately).

Sadly I'm on a Win7 64bit machine, so I need to use MasterMind's patch.

Unfortunately, I lack admin privileges, so it won't let me run the patch :(

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can download the post-patched files?

I only need the ones that are actually patched.

I've got MGE 1.11

Alternatively, if anyone can help me find a way to get this patch to work without admin privileges, that would be great!

Thanks much

There's a no-CD crack for MGE. Download link here. You'll have to play around with your installation order again, eg, original MGE installation, official MGE patch, no-CD crack, hostile AI fix, MastermindX's 64-bit compatibility patcher. I don't use MGE, so I can't tell you how that lot will work out.

I did this exact installation order and it works! Now playing Civ II MGE on Windows 7 64-bit, with the classic 2.42 friendly AI. On my system, the patch that fixes the hostile AI only works on a version of civ2.exe that has only been patched with civiimge_uccupdate3.exe and the no-CD crack.

Btw, a fast way to test the hostile AI fix is to open the ALIEN scenario, skip the first turn using Crtl-n, then bring up the Foreign Minister (F3). If the alliances are still "Enthusiastic" or "Worshipful", the patch worked. Otherwise, they will have changed to "Uncooperative".

There's a no-CD crack for MGE. Download link here. You'll have to play around with your installation order again, eg, original MGE installation, official MGE patch, no-CD crack, hostile AI fix, MastermindX's 64-bit compatibility patcher. I don't use MGE, so I can't tell you how that lot will work out.

I also did it in this order, but not taking the no-CD crack as I personally have the CD, and it worked :p , although I had to still move the files from outside from my Windows 7 64-bit and place them in normally in the programs. Thanks!

Btw, a fast way to test the hostile AI fix is to open the ALIEN scenario, skip the first turn using Crtl-n, then bring up the Foreign Minister (F3). If the alliances are still "Enthusiastic" or "Worshipful", the patch worked. Otherwise, they will have changed to "Uncooperative".

Excellent tip there! :goodjob:

Thanks a bunch! I was ready to spend hours trying to solve this (nicely solved) issue till I found this forum & your post.

I also did it in this order, but not taking the no-CD crack as I personally have the CD, and it worked :p
I 'personally' have the CD-ROM (well, classic and ToT) also, but I'm not inconvenienced by constant disc swapping. My discs don't run the same risk of getting damaged, either. I run cracks on all my games where possible.

Okay so here's the deal, I try to install my old Civ II CD on to my 64 bit Vista OS. I get the "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running...yada yada yada".

So I download the "patch" which, when I open it says:

ERROR : File Civ2 Exename does not exists
ERROR : Operation aborted

So I'm screwed both ways. What do I need to do to get passed this? Thanks to anyone who might like to tackle this question!

Thank you Prof. Garfield. Yes it seems like I have a vanilla CD version of this game. Unfortunately, even after copying Cedric's 5-part MGE patch and overwriting the files that I had copied from from the CD, I get the same error message when trying to install. Oh well, was worth a try! :)

I got the patch to work on my win 7 64 comp.

Here the deal. When following the instructions on the first page it did not work. But here is what I did step by step

1) Start the patcher.
2) Point it at the actuall civ2.exe file and nothig that is prefilled (aka Civ2exename or whatnot).
3) Run it.
4) Tada!

@Soma1983

Thanks, and what you wrote ALMOST worked, except after pointing the patcher at civ2.exe and clicking the "patch" button, the dialog box below it displays:

Backup completed
Searching for patch location
Patch location not found.

I'll mess with it some more! :)

I'm having troubles getting Civ II to even install on my computer.

Civ II: MGE v1.0, original disc
OP: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit, I can run as administrator

What I've tried: I've changed the compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2, disabled desktop composition and visual themes, and set Run as Administrator on autorun.exe, setup.exe, civ2.exe, and all the other .exe files I can find. I've closed Google Chrome when I try to install. I've waited over 15 minutes after clicking install and nothing comes up.

When I put the civ II disc in my computer, a screen comes up giving me the option to either install or cancel. I click install. A message comes up on my computer warning me that the color scheme has been changed. The screen disappears. And nothing happens after that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love Civ II and would like to play it again. :)

Thanks!

Hello, I downloaded your patch I got:

Creating file backup
E:\CIV2\CIV2.TMMbak
ERROR : File backup failed (E:\CIV2\CIV2.TMMbak)

what should I do?

:confused:

Hi everyone,

I've been trying for a good while now to get Civ 2 MGE to work from following the instructions and input on this thread. Still having issues and I must swallow my pride and admit defeat!! I'm not the most technical when it comes to this stuff but am dieing to get this game to work.

I bought Civ 2 MGE from Amazon the other week and installed it. The game runs but as previous posters have indicated, I get the problem where the game crashes when I try to rename a city, etc. I'm trying to use Mastermind's 64 bit patch and this is where I get into trouble. Here's what I get when I try to patch to Civ.exe file.

Creating file backup
C:\Games\MPS\Civ2\civ2.TMMbak
Backup file civ2.TMMbak already exists. If you want to patch this file again, please delete the backup manually.

This is probably a simple fix but i'm stumped! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and would make my day!

Thanks guys.

I'd say check if you have administrator privileges granted for the patcher and read/write for the whole Civ2 folder.
Default UAC settings for Win7 might prevent you from using the patch, so try to disable them for a while until you patch your game.
There's plenty of guides on the internet describing how to do that, if that is actually your problem.
Finally, if all else fails, I can upload the patched civ2.exe file for you to download and you could see if that works for you.
I used the same patcher, but I also have the patch that fixes AI - it's not permanently hostile as in standard MGE version of the game, which is a plus in my opinion.

Hey fellas. I dug up my old Civ 2 Test of Time CD and installed it on my secondary Windows 7 laptop. The install seemed to go along pretty well, but I've had a few issues. The first few times, I couldn't even get past the "name your leader" thing. And the last couple of times, I managed to start a game going, but when I tried to found my city(I was playing as the Americans, btw), the game locked up.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I've got the patch, but would like to explore other options before using it. :)

Top Bottom