Questions about The BUG Mod

1. I have a game I started with BUG mod 2.00 (I use it in my //MODS// folder) Can I throw the new version in and continue with my game that's in progress?

Great question! Yes, this should work just fine.

Careful about overwriting your "BUG Mod.ini" file. I try to specify good defaults so you can use your old INI file with the new mod.

2. With my current game I go into the BUG settings and make changes, but the changes I make are never saved nor even implemented in the game.

The folder names in mods is: BUG Mod and there are two ini files in the root of that directory (no where else) BUG Mod.ini and BUG.ini.

You have the folder named correctly ("BUG Mod"), so I don't know why it's creating BUG.ini. Open the file "Assets/Python/Contrib/CvModName.py" in Notepad or some other text editor and tell me what the value of "modName" is set to. Or just post the whole file here (it's short).

I am using my own set of leader and civs via customassets.

This shouldn't interfere with BUG -- definitely not with INI changes not being saved. If you make a change to the settings in-game, do the modified dates of either of those INI files change? If you change the settings in the INI file, do you see the changes in-game (after restart of game)?

Woohoo! I installed the new version and it now works perfectly. Wow, it is so cool to see the commerce/gold breakdown in the city screen. Thank you soooooo much!

I installed the BUG mod directly so that it always runs. I did not install it in the mods folder. Now my HOF games don't work right. My question is this:

Is there anyway to uninstall the BUG mod and then reinstall it in my mods folder??

Thank you

I'm playing on Vista, and I couldn't download the Tortoise SVN thing. So instead I downloaded the .zip file, extracted everything in place, and bish bash bosh, everything was ready. But nothing came up when I pressed Ctrl/Alt/O. Is the SVN completely 100% necessary?

I installed the BUG mod directly so that it always runs. I did not install it in the mods folder. Now my HOF games don't work right. My question is this:

Is there anyway to uninstall the BUG mod and then reinstall it in my mods folder??

Thank you

You don't even need to uninstall. Follow these steps:
  • Create a folder named BUG Mod within your mods folder. Do not change the name. It has to remain that way or will cause problems.
  • Move your current CustomAssets folder to the BUG Mod directory you just created.
  • Rename CustomAssets to Assets.
  • Move the file named "BUG Mod.ini" into the BUG Mod folder.

If you backed up your older CustomAssets folder with HoF in it, then just restore that, and it should bring back HoF. If not, you will have to reinstall the HoF MOD again.

I'm playing on Vista, and I couldn't download the Tortoise SVN thing. So instead I downloaded the .zip file, extracted everything in place, and bish bash bosh, everything was ready. But nothing came up when I pressed Ctrl/Alt/O. Is the SVN completely 100% necessary?

Sorry, was searching the forum in Bug Reporting for the answer...

Did you remember to unzip the INI's and add them to the root Civ4 folder in your documents? If you didn't unzip these, or renamed them, or didn't put it in the right directory, it will cause the options screen not to work.

The problem is caused when BUG tries to search for the BUG Mod.ini file, and can't find it.

You don't need to use SVN at all actually. It was just a tool to help us with keeping files updated between the team, so we weren't having to upload a new .zip everytime we changed something.

@RockTheCazbah87 - BUG should work fine with Vista; SVN isn't necessary as Alerum said. The problems with the Options screen usually meant it wouldn't close, but it should open. That says to me that it didn't get installed right.

Where exactly did you unzip it?

I unzipped it to my Civ4/BtS folder. The BUG Mod.ini file is in the BtS folder. Is this right? Do I need to change the XML loading to 1 or something?

Did you put it into the BTS folder, or the BTS folder within My Documents? It can be a bit tricky to put it in the right place, that's why we put out the setup file. Would you mind trying that and seeing if it works for you?

Nope, that didn't work. Was I supposed to extract the whole mod to the My Documents directory?

My Documents and my BtS directory are on two different drives, that's all. A little tricky sometimes.

You should have this structure:

Code:
...\My Documents
    My Games
        Beyond the Sword
            BUG Mod.ini
            BUG Documentation
            CustomAssets
                Art
                Python
                Res
                XML

Most all of the BUG stuff will go in CustomAssets. Siblings to CustomAssets are BUG Mod.ini and BUG Documentation.

IIRC, we've already done everything to make it Mac Compatible. The only thing we have to wait for now is a Mac version of BtS, as this won't work on Civ4 or Warlords.

Sorry if this question was already asked.

How can I change the maximum number of messages in the Event log of the Ctrl+TAB panel? Actually it is about 10 that is quite not enough. All earlier events and alerts are lost. Sometimes I cannot see all events even for the last single turn... :p

In vanilla this number is unlimited, as far as I know.

Is it possible to announce this mod at another level of the forums? It seems somewhat difficult to locate at the moment. Or at least, unless you're specifically looking for mod development. It might be a good idea to at least mention in the mods category for BTS so more people know that it exists and can participate in it and use it. This in my opinion is one of the better mods with potential. Thanks.

:)

I was just looking for a definitive answer to how this mod works with multiplayer. I've looked, and seen a little bit on this topic, but nothing definate. Anyway, does it work well? Do all the players have to have it install for it to work. If not, does it cause sync errors?

Anyway, I'm interested in trying this mod out, but I don't want to go through the hassle if its not going to be useful to me all the time. I play alot of multiplayer with friends and don't want to have to turn it on and off or whatever all the time. Thanks for your help!

Hi

I'm currently in a PBEM Game and I would like to use the BUG Mod (which I just installed) in this game.
Is it possible? If so, how can I make it work? What about the other players in the PBEM?

Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom