Installing The BUG Mod in the MODs folder

OK i have read the instructions, a few times, still a no go, sorry, if i use Play Now the BUG mod works great, but once i start using MY mod its gone?? What do i need to do??

I guess, you installed BUG as main mod (aka into CustomAssets). If yes: Have you checked your mod's ini that the "NoCustomAssets" option is set to 0?

I guess, you installed BUG as main mod (aka into CustomAssets). If yes: Have you checked your mod's ini that the "NoCustomAssets" option is set to 0?

If your talking about this??
; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 0

EDIT: I think i got it, i forgot to put the CustomAssets in the MODS area of the My Game area stuff, and rename it? I am going to try that, i hope it works.

EDIT EDIT: Nope, but now my starting screens are gone and my music also??

EDIT EDIT EDIT: NOPE it DIDNT work, i lost everything there, my mod everything, doing this?????

That will work, but I highly recommend using the EXE installer. It has an option to install BUG as a mod to the Mods folder and adds an uninstaller inside there for easy removal. Everything will be self-contained, and you won't have to worry about manually setting things up.

That will work, but I highly recommend using the EXE installer. It has an option to install BUG as a mod to the Mods folder and adds an uninstaller inside there for easy removal. Everything will be self-contained, and you won't have to worry about manually setting things up.

OK tried the exe one and install it both for first option and second option, neither one worked??

Sorry, I hadn't read this page of posts before I replied previously, and I was replying to roumen.

strategyonly - I am confused about what you mean. What exactly are you trying to do?

If Civ4 is completely hosed, you should be able to rename "My Games/BTS" to something else and start Civ4. It should create the whole directory anew and be working.

Sorry, I hadn't read this page of posts before I replied previously, and I was replying to roumen.

strategyonly - I am confused about what you mean. What exactly are you trying to do?

If Civ4 is completely hosed, you should be able to rename "My Games/BTS" to something else and start Civ4. It should create the whole directory anew and be working.

Nope my Civ4 works great, i am trying to use your BUG mod and can not get it to work, no matter what i try??:rolleyes:
As stated above, if i just use the bug mod with normal civ4 , works ok, but once i start my mod, nothing of the BUG mod works??

How did you install BUG? How did you install your mod?

Two mods installed into separate directories under "My Games/BTS/Mods" will never work together as only one folder in that folder can be active at a time.

You can install BUG to CustomAssets and modify your mod's INI file so that NoCustomAssets is 0 and hope that it works, but you may run into trouble if the two mods modify the same Python file.

How did you install BUG? How did you install your mod?

Two mods installed into separate directories under "My Games/BTS/Mods" will never work together as only one folder in that folder can be active at a time.

You can install BUG to CustomAssets and modify your mod's INI file so that NoCustomAssets is 0 and hope that it works, but you may run into trouble if the two mods modify the same Python file.

thats probably whats doing it then is the python files, cause i did everything else that the directions suggested.
Is there anyone that could add this to my mod "for me."??:rolleyes: I have NO experience at all in python.:(

Maybe we should rename it to "BUG Settings" or something similar.
That may clarify things. I will try EFs suggestion with the exe though.

Thank you. I will try that.

I know v3.5 just came out, but I was wondering how you merge this with a mod that's using a CvCustomEventManager.py file?

My focus this week is going to be on writing up documentation for modders wishing to include BUG into their mods. It will cover this issue. Short answer: remove CvCustomEventManager and create small XML files. You won't have to modify your own event managers in any way (no Python work whatsoever).

The XML config files are located in Assets/Config. For a good example, take a look at FavoriteCivicDetector.xml. It includes only events (no options), so it will match what you already have most likely. If you use options, take a look at Reminder.xml.

Removing all comments and unnecessary information, this is what you must have for your config file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<mod id="FavoriteCivicDetector" >
	<events module="FavoriteCivicDetector" />
</mod>

That's it!* This tells BUG to look for a module called FavoriteCivicsDetector, instantiate a class with the same name, passing in BUG's event manager. This calls the __init__(eventMgr) function in your event manager, just as it used to with CvCustomEventManager. And BUG's event manager works just like CvCEM.

Why did I do this? To keep modders from having to modify BUG files.* This makes upgrading BUG in your mods in the future much easier as you won't have to remerge your changes into the new BUG files.

* Almost. You also must add the names of your config XML files to init.xml for now (located in the same folder). This is temporary; in the future BUG will scan for other XML files and run them automatically. Just look in init.xml for the <load mod="foo"/> lines at the end and add your xml files after them using the same format.

Excellent... I look forward to your tutorial!

I tried doing a merge with v3.5, but I was running into interface problems still. So when writing your documentation, make it simple... so a simple minded man like me can understand it (specifically on mods with options). ;)

Excellent work on this though, fellas. This is radically different than your previous incarnation!

Can you please give me an executive summary of how much your mod is integrated into BUG and what features it uses itself?

1. Do you define your own events using CvCEM? - Yes
  2. Do you use BugOptions to access options or your own separate INI files?
  3. Do you use BugOptionTab to create your own tabs for users to modify those options?
Plus anything else you think relevant. This will help me make sure I cover all the bases. Having some test cases to work with will help me improve the tutorial as well, so if you're up for it, let's get you on 3.5 ASAP! :)

Now thats theres a new one out, same thing, how do i get it to work into my mod??

Can you start by answering the same questions that I asked Grave?

Can you start by answering the same questions that I asked Grave?

1. More than likely
2. ?? Cant get it to work so i guess NO
3. ?? same
I use alot of python file, so thats more than like why it does NOT show up in my mod. And i am not a python person so i have no idea how to merge to my mod directly.:rolleyes:

I think the questions EF is asking is about your current config in your mod. Can you answer those questions for what your current mod is using? As for merging Python files, it's the same as merging any files. use something like WinMerge, compare the differences, and take your time.

I think the questions EF is asking is about your current config in your mod. Can you answer those questions for what your current mod is using? As for merging Python files, it's the same as merging any files. use something like WinMerge, compare the differences, and take your time.

I use Winmerge, but if one line is different than the other Winmerge is NO good.

I use Winmerge, but if one line is different than the other Winmerge is NO good.

Are you saying that if your file and the new BUG file both modify the same line, it's harder to merge?

Code:
[B]ORIGINAL[/B]
1 See Jane run.
2 Run Jane run.
3 Jane ran.

Code:
[B]YOURS[/B]              [B]BUG[/B]
1 See Jane run.    See Jane run.
2 [I]Run Jane!!![/I]      [I]Did Jane run?[/I]
3 Jane ran.        [I]Yes, Jane ran.[/I]

Line 1 is unchanged in both files, so it remains unchanged in the merged file.
Line 3 is changed in only one file (BUG's), so you take BUG's line 3 for the merged file.
Line 2 is changed in both files, so you don't know what to do for your merged file.

If this is the problem you're addressing, there's not much I can say other than, "This is the hard part of being a modder." This is the "take your time" part of Alerum's response. When you have specific questions, ask. General questions like "How do i get it to work into my mod?" are simply unanswerable except with similarly general responses like, "carefully". :crazyeye:

I'm very busy and simply cannot do the merge for you, but if you post a specific section of code--both yours and BUG's--and ask for help, I am willing to assist modders as time permits. If people point out specific pain points moving from 3.0 to 3.5, I can address them in the tutorial for everyone's benefit. Help me help you and your fellow modders, and everyone wins. :goodjob:

In general, you will feel less pain if you minimize the number of files you modify that BUG has already modified. I have striven with the 3.5 release to minimize the number of common files between BUG and your mod. Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.5 will be painful, I admit, but upgrading from 3.5 to the next version should be much easier going forward.

Top Bottom