The West Tower

Knowing DaveMcW, I'd be amazed if that were the case. Most likely, he thought long and hard about the decision to remove the GLH, and only went ahead and did so because he knew that whichever team got it would have a gamebreakingly massive advantage.

The GLH allows you to gain a significant and immediate benefit in every single coastal site, without doing anything more than spamming cities there. With the Colossus, taking advantage means making your citizens work coastal tiles, which are very bad for production, yielding neither hammers nor whippable food surpluses. And, perhaps more importantly, the Colossus goes obsolete with Astronomy - not a tech you'll want to avoid for long on a watery map.

Of course, this is not to say that the Colossus would be a bad choice here. The questions, as always, are:

1) What would we be giving up to go for it?
2) How likely are we to get it?
3) How wasteful would it be if we went for it, but failed?

Until we get a better look at our surroundings, we probably shouldn't jump to conclusions about the map, or, consequently, about the answers to these questions.

Yes I am getting ahead of myself a little bit, we have much exploring to do first :)

I'm definitely thinking we have a star map here, with each civilization having it's own unique resources, hell..maybe the middle ground is full of mega resources, in any case, only time will tell.
If that is the case, it's kind of cute to give us the wine :)

It seems that we can expect some trouble from couple of our rivals based on the speculation of the map layout. Carthage seems to be a very strong choice indeed since they have Cothon, their unique light version of GLH. Also Dutch may be grow to be a really powerful nation if they cannot be contained before Steam Engine. And of course there are the Vikings just waiting for Medieval times and an opportunity to mount an surprise attack from the sea.

My recommendations for the next two warrior moves would be NE and then SE. I want to see if there is any seafood along the northern coast before we turn back inland.

I think there is coast to our south also, south of the 2 forested hills. That could put our opening to the world to our east. NE>SE or SE>NE doesn't matter much I think.

As for naming cities, we could go with wine theme = lots of choices. Or a grape theme, lots of choices there also. As a Monarchy, many "cities" (Castles), were named after the Nobles who built them in service to the King.

I think there is coast to our south also, south of the 2 forested hills. That could put our opening to the world to our east. NE>SE or SE>NE doesn't matter much I think.

As for naming cities, we could go with wine theme = lots of choices. Or a grape theme, lots of choices there also. As a Monarchy, many "cities" (Castles), were named after the Nobles who built them in service to the King.

I actually love the wine theme, would be great :).

I also like the wine theme :thumbsup:

But I'd suggest that we don't get to strict on it having to be wine names specifically. We might want some cities like "the cellar" or "verdant hillside" or even wine names combined with something else.... like "Castle Merlot" (our capital?) or even "Dungeon Dolcetto" :)

Here's a wikipeida link with lots of wine names to peruse.

The wine theme is indeed a good idea!

I think I would feel a bit .. weird .. if there was a city called "Castle Caledorn" or something like that (in regards to the proposed naming scheme of using the names of the King and the Royal Advisors).

I'll leave the decision to His Majesty though!

Although I like the Wine theme...

I always feel more "involved" in a game if I name things personally. For example, back in the XCom days I named the team members after my rl friends. Suddenly I took it personally when those alien bastards shot at Lt. Jason! If you haven't tried it before try it out - its fun.

I don't do it in short Civ games, but in long Civ games I will name my cities after meaningful people. If those cities are ever threatened I find myself thinking, "ahh. no. That's Ashtonville! Of course you aren't taking that...." instead of just thinking of it as a nameless city.

Although naming it after wine is cool it doesn't connect in the same way.

We should also keep in mind that the city naming, much like the political structure (and everything) will be tied to the King. King Indiansmoke (long may he reign) may decide to name the citys after the McDonalds 99 cent menu items - his successor may decide to rename some cities. ANything can happen. I don't forsee the renaming of cities to be a common thing, but who knows. This political structure is all new :)

Interesting Times.

I can't help but feel that the mapmaker has themed the resources we've been given to our theme style. All we lack now is gold and game, and we have all the stuff people think of when they think of a good old fashioned medieval european royal court. (Wine, Venison and Jewelry) Most interesting.

Going SE seems the logical choice indeed, Your Majesty.

SE>SE now for sure.

To all:
Please keep discussion out of this thread, use the west hall. Its just easier to keep our discussions in one place.
Nvm, there are no expansive civs. Then it could be Ragnar building a baracks for which he gets +50%. But if the comp rounds down then I don't see how he could get 5 hammers.
What I really want to know is WHO is managing 5 hammers already?!
Any civ settled on a plains hill and working a forested plains hill will have 5 hammers. I think it is the only way this early.

EDIT: Just found the Cellar thread...will move this there.

Regarding the naming of our cities, I would go with a more generic naming for now until we come up with a theme. The wine theme is interesting, lets see if there is something else as well.

So for now I like Castle Merlot suggested by W..any other suggestions?

Also we need a theme for our units as well (at least now that they are few). Any suggestions on that?

Regarding the naming of our cities, I would go with a more generic naming for now until we come up with a theme. The wine theme is interesting, lets see if there is something else as well.

Also we need a theme for our units as well (at least now that they are few). Any suggestions on that?

Yes, for the units I think they should be named like english units have nicknames. such as "king's Own" or "life guards" for our most experienced units, or where they were made from, "Norfolk Warriors".

If we go with the wine theme, then surely the root from which our vineyard grows must be The Vine?

Well, it starts to look like fishing and sailing are going to be more important than initially were speculated. Luckily we will know quite well by the time we get the agriculture if we are in a small island or in a peninsula. Even if we are in a single island my instincts tell me that it would still be a good idea to research the Bronze Working next. We still have lots of improvable area and resources. I think that we have space for at least two more excellent cities in the area we at least will have. This speculation is not based on any calculations yet though. I will start analyzing the scenarios if it becomes evident that we need a serious change of strategy.

I would not be so quick to assume that we are isolated, brothers.

There is still an unexplored corner which could easily hold a land-bridge.

Nonetheless, I agree that we should begin preparing for the possibility of isolation (provided His Majesty wills it).

Top Bottom