Graphics question: Missing some effects

Mystere

Chieftain
As far as I know I have been running this game on all high settings in DirectX 11 mode under Windows 7 with a Radeon HD 5770. However when I watched a youtube video of the game today I could see black smoke coming from pillaged improvements. I do not see this in my game.

Anyone got an idea how this is possible? Am I possibly running it in DirectX 10 mode (if that makes a difference) by accident and if so how can I check or change this? Or am I missing a simple reason why I don't see the black smoke? I see everything else that suggests I am running the grapics at the desired setting. Reflections, high detail terrain and sun glare whatever. Just not this detail. I am puzzled.

I asked at 2K forums as well but don't seem to get any responses, maybe the fanatics know :D

Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

There are some glitches with high leader settings and DX10, so they should not apply under DX11, but i guess there could be some interferences and would be worth a try to lower the leader settings.

There is some weird stuff going on with the graphics. I think there were some problems with AA and the settings for the diplomacy scenes. Try to mess around with the AA settings and/or the leader scene quality. I get the smoke with most settings on medium, but some earlier time with most settings to max I didn't get the smoke, either.

Thank you for the help but wait a minute, do I understand you correctly here?

To make the smoke that comes from the pillaged improvements on the main map screen work I have to possibly lower the leader graphics or mess with the AA settings? Pardon me for not thinking of that before :crazyeye:

It is not possible this tile burning effect is related to DX10 or DX11? Or in other words are there some effects not happening on DX10 that are in DX11 or the other way around? I don't know, as it might just be a crazy graphics bug as you suggested but still. Can I check in which DX I am actually running the game? My OS and graphics card do support DX11 but as it is grouped together under one option when starting civ5 I really don't know what it is doing.

EDIT: Ran Dxdiag from prompt, it does state I have DX11 installed so I can only assume I use it and not DX10. Onwards to the missing effect, will see if messing with the AA settings or diplo screen settings have any effect (how odd it might sound).

DX10/11 is one and the same mode.
On my (DX10) GTX260 I now get that smoke ;)

And as already mentioned, their home-brewn engine for civ5 do some things a bit "unconventionally" :crazyeye:

You could say that again. Just switched off AA (had it on 2x) and now I see the smoke effect. Lowering graphics to enable effects, now that is a new one :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the hints.

Yes, I have the same issue. For some reason the AA interferes with some effects er something. I e-mailed 2K about it, but they haven't gotten back to me on it.

Top Bottom