GMR Cultural warlords

RStark

Prince
Hello,

I'd like to create an 8 player FFA game with some unusual settings. Let's try out how viable Culture Victory in MP is. I also want to make Tradition and Liberty starts more equally beneficial in this game.

Proposed game settings:
- Only Culture Victory is achievable. However, you can just kill all other civs on the map and win CV by means of war. :)
- Map size: standard for 8 civs.
I want more civs to survive till the discovery of Printing Press and foundation of the World Congress.
- Map type: the Ice Age, narrow continents.
A round world. Its northern and southern parts are covered by everlasting ice and eternal snow. It's possible to travel through the shallow waters from one continent to another. A well-balanced map in terms of both aquatic and terrestrial conflicts.
- The number of CS on the map: (number_of_players)*2 = 16
- Start from Classical Era.
- Quick game speed.
- Age of the world, mean temperature and rainfall: random!
- Sea level: low. So we have more space to colonize.
- Resource distribution: scarce. I think Tradition civs have a higher chance to be left without strategical resources in this case.
- Immortal difficulty level.
- Agressive barbarians. Maybe someone starts with Honour? :)
- No ruins (Tradition civs usually produce more scouts than Liberty civs, because they don't need to build a monument early).
- All other settings by default.
- Time limit is adjustable. 2 days and 5 skips before kick is by default.

To participate only G&K, BNW and Ancient Wonders DLC are required. Civs were picked by random.
(If you'd like to join in, please indicate your Steam nickname and Time Zone, if you have not already done it in the info of your GMR account).

The GMR game was launched. The list of civs and participants:
Brazil - rstark84
France - thegreycat (previously Foffaren)
Spain (destroyed) - PrimEvalCiv
Egypt - banman39
Poland - Tabarnak
Ethiopia - gertadam (previously cpm4001 & Atradie & kingmorgan)
Indonesia - NullMaster (m4stermel)
Ottoman Empire (destroyed) - EEE_boy

Random civ pick? If someone gets Brazil or France or Polynesia or Poland or even the new Japan, it is too unbalanced.

Civs should either be picked or the above civs should be banned.

Also please indicate if sacred sites is allowed or not.

personally I think civs should be picked (not random) and sacred site should be allowed (if more players went piety and the player who missed sacred sites can hire babarian army).

Speaking honestly, I have not won CV even in SP yet. So I am not aware of all pros and cons while playing for CV.

Then let's change the rule that civs will be picked and sacred sites are allowed.
I want to make a big variety of civs to be chosen from, so I suppose we need all DLC civs to be included :)

Brazil or France I can understand (heck they were picked fast after all) but Japan and Polynesia is just a little extra culture. I've tried Japan myself and it didnt make that big of a difference.
Poland is always annoying no matter what VC you play.

Brazil or France I can understand (heck they were picked fast after all) but Japan and Polynesia is just a little extra culture. I've tried Japan myself and it didnt make that big of a difference.
Poland is always annoying no matter what VC you play.

It's scarce resource, so not much lux for France to build UB. also jungle may also be less in ice age map. Polynesia on the other hand can be stable culture producer, if coastal tiles can be trained together (even on top of resources)

It might be scarce but you'll still get atleast 2 lux at cap. Thats 6 chateau if they're not to close together.

I would be interested in trying this...I'm relatively new to competitive multiplayer (I have previously played semi-competitive multiplayer against my friends and so do understand the mechanics) but like to think I am semi-capable at playing Civ (I don't super-micro-manage, but otherwise try to emulate the people who actually know what they're doing.) If you wouldn't object to having a newbie who will get crushed underfoot rather rapidly play with you, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to improve my multiplayer Civ skills.

I would be interested in trying this...I'm relatively new to competitive multiplayer (I have previously played semi-competitive multiplayer against my friends and so do understand the mechanics) but like to think I am semi-capable at playing Civ (I don't super-micro-manage, but otherwise try to emulate the people who actually know what they're doing.) If you wouldn't object to having a newbie who will get crushed underfoot rather rapidly play with you, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to improve my multiplayer Civ skills.
I'll be glad to see you in this game. :)
I have sent an invite for participation to your GMR account (it seems that your steam ID is cpm4001).

Don't much worry about being crushed, because MP games for Cultural Victory is rather rare, and many players don't have much experience in doing CV. I think you will not be alone at making strategical mistakes during the game. :mischief::lol:
However, I suggest you to keep an eye on warmonger civs in the neighborhood, because some players may prefer to win the game by means of total war...

Hi, you do understand this is not normal mp game that finishes in several hours or several days. This type of GMR game can go about a year to finish if played right. Just want to make sure you are willing to be consistent to take turns once every two or three days.

I'll be glad to see you in this game. :)
I have sent an invite for participation to your GMR account (it seems that your steam ID is cpm4001).

Don't much worry about being crushed, because MP games for Cultural Victory is rather rare, and many players don't have much experience in doing CV. I think you will not be alone at making strategical mistakes during the game. :mischief::lol:
However, I suggest you to keep an eye on warmonger civs in the neighborhood, because some players may prefer to win the game by means of total war...

(Yes, I should have mentioned my Steam username when I posted that; it was a long, long day yesterday for me...) Thank you for the GMR invite! Will accepted it directly.
And yes, I'm sure I won't be the only one making strategic errors during the game. Just hoping I won't make too many ones that will prove to be my downfall.

Hi, you do understand this is not normal mp game that finishes in several hours or several days. This type of GMR game can go about a year to finish if played right. Just want to make sure you are willing to be consistent to take turns once every two or three days.

Quite aware of this fact; actually, that's why I wanted to try this game - my schedule is far too crowded right now for me to play "normal" multiplayer matches (i.e., ones that last several hours in a stretch), but I will easily be able to make time to play a GMR game.

<---Poland

Great!
We need one more player to join in, then we can launch the game :yumyum:

So, I'm taking bets now on how quickly I'll get wiped out in this game (seeing the sort of opponents I'll be playing against.) My personal hunch is the Ancient Era, but if anyone wants to prove me wrong...

I am tempted, but I don't have BNW. Worth getting? Should be cheap by now. Also, a turn every 2-3 days, as I think E mentioned, I should be able to manage. Summer's coming, too.

So, I'm taking bets now on how quickly I'll get wiped out in this game (seeing the sort of opponents I'll be playing against.) My personal hunch is the Ancient Era, but if anyone wants to prove me wrong...
But we have been starting from the classical era! :)

I am tempted, but I don't have BNW. Worth getting? Should be cheap by now. Also, a turn every 2-3 days, as I think E mentioned, I should be able to manage. Summer's coming, too.
Hello Onan!
BNW is a great addition for the game, at least for truly CivV addicts :lol:
Unfortunately, PrimEvalCiv has joined in as the 8th player and I have already launched the game... :blush:
However, if your temptation to take part in this GMR game is strong, I can make a proposal to the game participants to relaunch the game. It's only the first turn.

Hence the joke...still, I'm not expecting to last long against super experienced Civ players.
I don't think that it will be beneficial to wage wars early in the game. I suppose that mainly "culture civs" will be attacked, when they generate lots of masterpieces and cultural sites within their cities. :p

Can we please disable the turn timer for a week? as I am travelling right now and don't want to miss the first turn. Thanks!

No no, go ahead. Enjoy!

Top Bottom