Multiplayer tips

Chibi88

Chieftain
Hello,

how do you generally start a game? Do you use any sort of tactic?

I got 500 hours of total time but I'm not sure what a general advise is. I know every game is different and you have to make decisions depending of your oponents / tiles.

What do you think about a GL rush? Is it worth it? Is it too much of gambling? I often go for pottery into animal husbandry and then for happiness improvements.

Depending my BO: Scout -> Monument -> Shrine -> Worker -> Settler -> ??? -> Settler asap? -> second worker -> Wind Mill

How important are early Libaries? I didn't notice much of a difference if I build it not that early.

So, what is you general opening? What do you usualy do? Any tips?

It's good to see a new player entering the MP community. The biggest tip I can give a new player is DO NOT rush GL. It is not worth the risk and often not even worth the opportunity cost of those early hammers. It is too highly sought after and those hammers being lost is a huge set back when you don't get it. Half the MP games have like 3 noobs rushing GL and you get two leavers when it's completed. So sad.

Also imagine if some guy gets GL but you spent those hammers on a settler. You take his best expansion location and get a caravan going to the city. Who do you think is better off?

I would generally not rush any wonders unless you have very productive land and trees to chop on it. If you can't get GL below turn 25, don't touch it. The wonders that are actually worth rushing are the Pyramids and Artemis because they benefit you all game long and improve your infrastructure.

Generally a good start is scout, scout, monument<->Shrine, Settler, Settler, Settler and full tradition. I did not include a worker here because you can usually steal or buy one or two.

What you really want to do is get your 4 core cities up and running as soon as possible so that they can grow and get libraries allowing you to build your National College as soon as possible. I would shoot for a turn 65 - 85 National College to be competitive in the science game.

I feel like the problem in spamming settlers is that it will take so much more timeto build a NC.

How big is the difference between 1 City NC and 2 city or even 3 city NC? Is it worth it the delay?

The hammer difference is not that big a deal when considering a 2 - 4 city build. Now, if you're going liberty and slap down 6 cities or more that could lead to some high hammer costs for your NC. Also more cities means more caravans feeding your cap so it can work more hills without starving when it wants hammers. Basically I make as many cities as I have good locations around. It's not always 4 since there may not be 4 good places to secure.

I feel like the problem in spamming settlers is that it will take so much more timeto build a NC.

How big is the difference between 1 City NC and 2 city or even 3 city NC? Is it worth it the delay?

It worth it if a spot or 2 need support to grow up(forest chop, tile improvements, food caravans/cargos). So you can stay 2-3 cities NC then put that extra city or 2 when the NC is completed. Just make sure that these spots will not be stolen by another civ. Otherwise do as CraigMak said.

I agree with not rushing GL unless you have favorable terrain, and enough production so that you're not too far behind if you take it. I think going down the Liberty path would be better if you go for GL, since you get your settler and worker through culture rather than hammers, and Republic gives as good a production boost as Aristo except earlier.

I like getting a granary up early in my capital, especially with food bonuses. Diverting the extra food to hammer tiles will aid expansion in the long term, the first settler will take a while without it. Some experts may disagree though.

NC finishing time you can handle somewhat flexibly as long as it doesnt come too late. First priority should be to settle contested spots and to define your land. To achieve this has a much bigger positive affect on your game than the slight setback by delaying your national college. Once you have settled everything that needs to be settled asap head for the NC. Uncontested city spots in your backland can be settled later.

See turn 80 as somewhat of a benchmark. Of course you prefer to have your NC up and running by turn 55, but as long as you do it within the first 80 turns you should be fine.

To include a monument into a tradition build order i would only consider when i havent found a culture ruin. But even then i rarely find it in me to prioritize it. A shrine is the usual third build of most players after scout-scout. Sometimes there wont be any pantheon worth going for, so the shrine could be skipped. Or you 2pop a settler after scout-scout because of a natural wonder near you, another scenario where the shrine wouldnt be the 3rd build.

Great library is a really nice wonder, but it also costs a whole lot of hammers. Usually it is not worth going for it as long as you havent settled the critical spots. I only go for it if i consider the free tech a crucial one (or in the really rare cases where the wonder still seems to be uncontested around turn 35/40). Great library into colossus is a play i like a lot. But once you see there are less experienced players in the game you can stop thinking about great library because most of them have a tendency to rush it before everything else.

Top Bottom