Unique Civ-Specific Great People Names

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, LDeska. I was privy to a serious debate recently about whether Copernicus should be considered German or Polish, since he really was ethnically Polish, but lived in a Prussian domain at the time... I just put him in with the Germans because he's too important to be left out, IMO, and that's the only real organization that makes sense, given the historical relations between Prussia/Germany and Poland. But Poland is obviously the better choice.

BTW, I think Poland would be a nice addition to the game, though I don't see much chance for Firaxis adding it (especially when they left out civs like Babylon, Portugal, and the Netherlands!), but I would definitely change him to Poland if it is ever added.

Good news, everybody! Mexico has finally squashed the great general bug! Now every person will truly be civ-specific, and we can concentrate on expanding the list even more. Mexico has also said that he is working on a mod that will allow linear progression through the lists, meaning that we will have the option to set it up chronologically, as Chugginator suggested. This will make CSGP much more flexible and useful for inclusion in other mods and scenarios.

Let us all offer to expand his palace, in recognition of this great achievement.
:clap: :D :hatsoff: :D :hatsoff: :D :clap:

I played a game last night using this mod....Again, G.O., you did a very good job...Well Done.

The thought did occur to me though...There is a dnager in setting this up so it goes chronilogically. Maybe I am in the minority, but I only get about 10 of each great people (engineers, generals, etc) a game...If it is set up chronilogically, you would get the same 10 great people every game...

Perhaps it should be left so you get random people, or at least give the player the option.

I played a game last night using this mod....Again, G.O., you did a very good job...Well Done.

The thought did occur to me though...There is a dnager in setting this up so it goes chronilogically. Maybe I am in the minority, but I only get about 10 of each great people (engineers, generals, etc) a game...If it is set up chronilogically, you would get the same 10 great people every game...

Perhaps it should be left so you get random people, or at least give the player the option.

yes, this will be option.....(probably today/tomorrow)

Yes I think this is why Firaxis changed the order to random for the expansion. Also, you would only get the same 10 great people if you played the same civ over and over... my advise, try some others out :D As I've said in other posts, this sacrifice is worth it because you will no longer get the wright brothers for your first engineer in 1000BC or whenever.

The way to return it back to random if you wanted to would be to remove the DLL though, which is easy fixed.
yes, this will be option.....(probably today/tomorrow)

Glad to hear the good news btw Mexico :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thanx:

Yes I think this is why Firaxis changed the order to random for the expansion. Also, you would only get the same 10 great people if you played the same civ over and over... my advise, try some others out :D As I've said in other posts, this sacrifice is worth it because you will no longer get the wright brothers for your first engineer in 1000BC or whenever.

The way to return it back to random if you wanted to would be to remove the DLL though, which is easy fixed.

Glad to hear the good news btw Mexico :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thanx:

dll do not contain support for GP in order , this is planned feature :)
order/random system will be defined in GlobalDefinesAlt.xml

removing dll just return incorrect handling for great general (so you can get American GG for japan etc..)

Ah ok it sounds even better than it was in my head :) My mistake

Also, could you include the C++ changed files for Great General fix in this release, so it can be combined if necessary?

VIKINGS

GP: Harold Bluetooth, Sweyn Forkbeard, Erling Skjalgsson, Aethelstan, Rorik, Lewi Pethrus, Kettil Karlsson Vasa, Gisbertus Voetius, Franciscus Gomarus, Jacobus Arminius, St. Angsar, Lauri Ingman,

GA: Rembrandt, Vincent van Gogh, Olav Duun, Johan Nordahl Brun, Gustav Vigeland, Ingrid Bergman, Ingmar Bergman, Hans Christian Andersen, Jean Sibelius, Johan Ludvig Runeberg

GS: Georg Stierhielm, Johannes Magnus, Gustav Vasa, Anders Angstrom, Niels Bohr, Tycho Brahe, Niels Stensen, Hans Oersted, Johannes Rydberg, Anders Celsius, Carolus Linnaeus, Niels Steensen, Edsger Dijkstra, Jean Charles Galissard de Marignac, Johan August Arfwedson, Oskar Klein, Anders Johan Lexell

GE: Ivar Giaver, Sophus Lie, Niels Abel, Antony Van Leeuwenhoek, Christian Huygens, Svante Arrhenius, Jöns Jakob Berzelius, Alfred Nobel, Linus Torvalds, Bror With, Johan Vaaler,

GM: Leif Erickson, Eric the Red, Antony Van Diemen, Haakon Sigurdsson, Yngvar Vithforla, Ingvar Kamprad, Lars Ericsson, Sven Hedin, Abel Janszoon Tasman, Fredrik Idestam, Roald Amundsen, Jens Munk, Thor Heyerdahl, Helge Ingstad, Sam Eyde, John Fredriksen

GG: Eric Bloodaxe, Gustavus Adolphus, Healfdene, Inwaaer, Hubba, Canute II, Olaf, William the Conqueror, Charles XII, Johan Baner

I understand you count Danes, Norwegians and Swedes as Vikings. But Dutch and Swiss?

Also aren't Niels Stensen and Niels Steensen the same person?

BTW. I support what LDEska said. Keep the Poles for Poland.

burak:
:) I have to admit, you've pointed out one of the things about this mod I am most embarrassed about. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for Dutch/Swiss to be included with the Vikings. At the time I first released this, I just didn’t have enough Viking names and since these names were already included in the existing Civ 4 lists, and there was nowhere else to put them, I thought what the hey. But since then, I have come up with quite a few traditional Viking as well as modern Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish names. So what I’ll probably do for the next version is switch all these names to Minor Civ, which makes more sense. This current organization is really just a holdover from earlier versions, and is not necessary anymore. (When the Dutch or Swiss are included in an expansion, I will transfer the names again.)

As for Niels Stensen/Steensen, as far as I can tell they are the same person. This is yet another case of duplicate entries, and I commend you for pointing it out. I have caught several others as I’ve gone over the lists again and again, as it is very easy to do this accidentally.

About the Polish people, how do you feel about also having Poles with the minor civs? At least, until Firaxis includes this civ in a future expansion?

Edward the Big:
Yes, that is exactly what would always happen to me, even when we only had one list for every civ! I almost never got a great merchant, due to my playing style, and neither did the AI. I pretty much never saw names beyond Aretas III. Although I hated the random system right after I first played Warlords, I like it now, as it’s just plain better in terms of variety. But I can understand why Chugginator and others would want a chronological one, so I never intended to make one or the other mandatory. The latter one is probably more useful for scenarios--I was actually going to use in this a Roman scenario I am working on, as it doesn’t make sense to have Constantine born before Scipio Africanus.

Almost every day I think of another name to go in the list. So if anybody has any ideas, especially for underpopulated civs like Zulu, Mongolia, etc., please post them here. And thanks for all the feedback!

Ah ok it sounds even better than it was in my head :) My mistake

Also, could you include the C++ changed files for Great General fix in this release, so it can be combined if necessary?

changed files you can find in my mod component (in signature) :)
actual version 0.2w is GG fix, version 0.3w will contain support for random/order switch

@ Gaius - I found some stuff on Wikipedia that you may or may not have known about :)

Here's a good list of Mongolian Khagans (Emperors) and Khans (Commanders) on wikipedia.
List of Mongolian Great People
There's even one from the 1900's at the bottom of the list :D

Here's a huge Wikipedia thread that links to several lists of people by nationaliy, even Zulus -
Lists of People by Nationality

and also some Great Artists by Nationality lists -
List of Artists by Nationality
List of Novelists by Nationality
List of Poets by Nationality

@ Mexico - Thanks, this is going to be an awesome mod when it's finished. :)

Almost every day I think of another name to go in the list. So if anybody has any ideas, especially for underpopulated civs like Zulu, Mongolia, etc., please post them here. And thanks for all the feedback!

You got my lists for Zulu and Mongol, right? For Mongol, in addition to modern Mongolia, you can look at northwestern China and the Baikal region of Russia.

For Zulu, you can probably include South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique.

Yes, I have both the lists, Zulu and Mongol, and they will be incorporated in the next release (along with many others), which will be posted hopefully sometime by the end of the month.

I have used these lists on Wikipedia, although it's sometimes hard because you don't know who is well-known enough to be immediately recognizable to natives of that country, and therefore who is "worthy" to be a great person. But they have proven extremely useful--inestimably so. There is also a section called "people by occupation" that I have used. But there aren't too many names for civs like Mongolia, unfortunately. :(

For Zulu, I was thinking of primarily South Africa and Zimbabwe/Rhodesia, but Mozambique would be good, and perhaps Lesotho, and other surrounding nations. For Mali, I tried to limit it to the Malinese Empire, the Songhai and other later kingdoms, and of course the modern nation of Mali. It seems like there are far too many political leaders (and for some reason very many Malian footballers ;)) but not too many artists, scientists, etc., in these lists.

What I am really looking for is not necessarily names en masse anymore (although that's always welcome), but even just one or two that are very good choices, like snipperrabbit!!'s post about Edouard Michelin. They add up. In particular, it's good for people who are actually from one of these places (or who know a lot about them) to suggest new names, to make this as thorough as possible. I might include somebody that nobody's ever heard of, and leave out a national hero, simply due to my ignorance or oversight.

Hello, Gaius !
I submit this time a Viking GS : Sophus Lie.
He discover the lie group. Search for E8 ( an example of lie group ) and you'll see it is the latest achievment in Mathematics. People even foresee big breakthrough regarding the Unified Theory.
If you collect israelian names, I suggest Mordehai Milgrom ( GS ) for his MOND Theory ( Modified Newton Dynamics ) and Jacob Bekenstein (GS ) who conciliated MOND with Relativity.

In case you haven't heard, a new expansion pack to Civ 4 has just been announced, called Beyond the Sword: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/civilizationivbeyondthesword/

The article I have linked here mentions 10 new civs, including Portugal, Netherlands and Babylon, the three I suspected would be included. (Finally, they wised up and put in Babylon!) So now we can start thinking about even more names! I already have some compiled for these three civs, so this is good.

BTW, Lincoln is now a third American leader! Hooray!

[EDIT: there is also apparently an Indian chief in the screenshots, so it looks like we might have the Iroquois or Sioux to include, too!]

Looks like they might not be called the Sioux specifically, but the "Native Americans". Apparently, they've lumped all the tribes into one civ.

Top Bottom