New Unit Killer Hornet and Hornet Nest Wonder - March 8, 2009

Vuldacon

Dedicated to Excellence
Supporter

Game Units starting to "Bug" you? Well here is a Unit you can use to "BUG" them back...and Kill them in the process :lol:

CIV Specific Color Preview:

I needed to make this Unit and Wonder for EFZI2 for the Zombies...Yes, another Creature subjected to the Horrible Zombie Virus that has become a Monster.

I realize that this Unit will Not fit in a traditional War game very well but thought I would Upload it for those of you who might be able to use it.

This Unit was a "Bugger" to make for many reasons :lol: ... Wing Transparency issues that I ended up only using Motion Blur for the Default and Run animations and used 4 sets of wings for the Other animations. Motion Blur cannot be used on just one part of a unit so this Distorted the entire unit when attempting it.
The Model is Excellent but is a chore due to its extreme number of moveable parts and I had to use Four Models together. There was a Tremendous amount of Post Render Work that had to be done to accomplish the desired end results.

I made each Direction separately so this Unit will Hit the Enemy more exactly when Attacking and Stinging them to Death :lol:

After all the Work, I believe it worked out well. Looks very Good in the Game... the Wings are Transparent and the Unit Hits the Enemy in all directions where it should.

I made the Sounds so they Fit the best I could... Naturally the Run Sound could Not have a Looping Sound that would allow for a Constant BUZZ but the sound I made works well and serves the purpose.

Included files:[/B
Civilopedia KillerHornetLarge.pcx and KillerHornetSmall.pcx and Civ Specific Colored KillerHornet_units_32.pcx,

Animations (flcs):
KillerHornetDefault,
KillerHornetRun,
KillerHornetFortify/Victory,
KillerHornetFidget,
KillerHornetAttackA,
KillerHornetAttackB,
KillerHornetDeath,
Sounds: Made All New Sounds,
Adjusted .ini file.

... Included Alternate Civilopedia Images with different background colors. Use White or Grey as you prefer.

Edit April 25th, 2009: I uploaded a NO CIV Specific Color Version of this Unit. All pcx files were Changed and all Sounds Adjusted with Less Loudness. Download Link below. No Preview

Hornet Nest Wonder:
Images for Buildings Large and Small Files,
Building Images for Civilopedia Icons Buildings Folder,
Wonder Splash Image for Wonder Splash Folder.
Alternate Small Building Image with white background for those who prefer it.

Note that the Preview Animations are all together in one gif so they are all set with the same speed...In the Game the animations speeds are much better.

I colored the Background for the Preview in order to help show the unit more clearly.

EDIT: IF anyone wants to place this "SCI-FI unit in a Typical Game... generally, "Science Gone Wrong" approach would work... Something such as the After Affects of a Nuclear Bomb... Radioactive affected Genetics or an Unknown Species that was isolated on some far off place in the world until Now. It is True that you would have to use your imagination to be able to use this unit in a Typical Game but it can be done.

Note...I Corrected the ground Shadows for the Death Animation and Updated the Zip File in the Database...IF you already downloaded this Unit and want the Updated Death animation, you can either download Only the Death Animation Update on the Next Page or Download the Unit again. The Preview is now also Updated.
Winner - March 2009 Unit of the Month
:trophy:

You can Download this Unit and Wonder Here

(April 25th 2009) IF you Prefer, You can Download the Unit and Files Without CIV Specific Color here

Last edited:
Very interesting unit. Does anyone know how to use civ3flc edit with Vista? When I open the flc files I do not see an animation only a blank white square although I can see it running through the frames in the sidebar.

Thank you so much. Is their a setting a need to check because I have to hit F-5 for every animation I open. I just noticed the play button is grayed out.

Wow, good to see another unit that goes outside the norm (tanks, planes, infantry etc.) and you did a great job at it to! Very bug-like, the death makes me feel all icky!

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the speedy and gracious posts you guys...
Since Spring and Summer approaches, I for one will have to deal with many of the "Flying Dagger" branches of insects :lol:
Glad they are NOT Vespa Mandarinia Japonica or anywhere near as Huge...

I hope some of you check this unit out in your games because the preview doesn't show it well. The Fidget and Death animations are not so Fast in the game and show the detail better.
The Fidget and Victory both use the Victory/Fidget animation because I was at a loss for how a Hornet would show "Happiness" from winning :lol:

I like to "SWAT" these Buggers in my game and just as in Real Life, Not let them get anywhere close enough to Sting me. Besides, I have somehow managed to avoid becoming infected by the Terribly infectious Zombie Virus so far and I am not about to allow it now :)

To be honest I never used flicster before. I went to the download database so I now have both applications installed and running. Thanks for the tips.

What a great unit with excellent detail. The quality is superb !

Top Bottom