How to Add/Use These New Units

Here is what is happening with my game.

I download the unit "Harrier" to replace "Man-o-War" for the English, I have the 1.29f patch, Civ III, and all the files that came with Harrier when I downloaded it. I downloaded the "how to install new units.txt" file and followed every single thing it said. Yet when I try to play that scenario, I get a message that says

Error reading file

".\Art\Units\Harrier\Harrier.INI"

Could someone please tell me what is going on and how I can fix it?:confused:

maybe there' something wrong with the harrier unit itself? I'm not sure since I've only added units in PTW and it's differant there.

It turns out that I forgot to save the game as "civ3mod".

Silly Beaver

:lol:

what if i run out of space in the "units32.pcx" file? u can only have like 7 or 9 spaces for custom units icons.
________
Toyota i-unit history

Originally posted by sims2789
what if i run out of space in the "units32.pcx" file? u can only have like 7 or 9 spaces for custom units icons.

Actually, the units32 file can be made much, much larger.
In fact, I don't think that anyone has found an upper limit yet!

Zulu9812 has been doing an excellent job of adding just about EVERY new player created unit to his monster units32 file....some 800 new unit icons! :eek:

Here is the link for it....

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35648&pagenumber=1

:)

wut patch do i need to do add units i can only edit them

neva mind i jus read the ,txt

I'm still confused...

That second post would seem helpful but there are a couple of things that I don't understand about it...

I'm not looking to add a UU for a civ like that post is offering. I'm looking to just add a normal civ into it. I have PTW, and I'd like to know what to do if I wanted to download, say, the gundam from page 16 in the unit library.

I've gone through yr instructions and it seems i can make heads or tails of it, on how to add new units
I have PTW with the latest patch
Is there just a simple set of instructions for just adding units separated from adding civs?
this is getting real frustrating
thks for any help

the information I think you are looking for is on the front page in that download. If you follow the advice VERY closely, and then look at any error messages civ gives you for using these new units very closely, you will be able to figure out what to do.

Emphasis on not skipping ANY anyformation, and annylizing its relavence to other advice (i.e. not skimming).

Some of the units I downloaded from this site have the .flc files and .wav, but not the Small and Large .pcx files. Don't you need to have those to populate the pediaicons.txt file pointers??

Hello!

First off, I am playing Civ3 PTW on my Sony Vaio notebook, sometimes (okay, most of the time!) sneaking it into school and playing while taking down notes, so you'll understand why I have it at v1.14f only. I am trying to 'edit' Marla Singer's World Map by editing the Romans to be Filipinos (my "Civ"), then reassigning the already-placed Civ start locations to play with USA, Aztec, Japan, China, India, Egypt, Zulu and England. I also want to put in an F-14D Tomcat unit in the game. I then save this to a new .bic called "Koy's Edited Earth". I have downloaded and followed closely the instructions here, but still no luck.

1. Do I put my units (with .ini, .wav and .flcs) folder under Civ3 or the PTW arts/units folder?
2. Do I put my units image in the Civ3 or the PTW units_32?
3. Do I add the units using Civ3 or PTW editor?
4. I have all the .flcs and .wavs mentioned in the .ini file in the same folder as the .ini file. The folder itself is named the same as the unit name and the .ini file name. When I try to play my game, I get the start, get to build my first city, then the game hangs. I deleted everything, my folders, reset the Civilopedia and Pediaicons files, and removed my modded .bic, but the game still hangs now. Help!
5. What's the difference of editing and saving as Civ3mod.bic and someOtherName.bic?

I sure hope someone can help! I want to play this game, so far, I have only finished it once, and that was BEFORE PTW!

Thanks!

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
I for the life of me can not get units to work (or get their icons to show up) in ptw world. i've read though the posts here and would like it if someone could give me easy, and thourgh directions of how to do this.

(remember how incredibly easy this was in civ2...?)

Yes ... yes I do. It seems to me like a massive process to add a single new unit. I'm sure with practice it would get easier but I don't see why the editor cannot do the things civ2gold could do. Even if, for some reason, it can't arrange the flics, the civ2gold editor (or civ2 FW) was able to edit the civilopedia, edit units32 and import and export from unit32 files, as well as preview and assign sounds. Why can't the civ3 editor do this?
OTOH - maybe some of you remember civ2 before the Fantastic Worlds release. Everything was done manually just like now with civ3. Perhaps we will see a similar release for Civ3, I certainly hope so. They *say* the editor in Conquests will be improved, but they sound kind of dodgy about how much better.

I've checked out the how to add new units .txt file at the start of this thread. The thing I don't get is after the initial step of unpacking the unit to the appropriate folder, I'm supposed to fill in the values for the unit. I thought those would be in the .zip file. Am I missing something here? I mean if someone went to all the trouble to create a new unit, shouldn't there be a text file telling me what they thought the attack, defence, etc. values for the unit should be?

I've also read the "How to add units.txt"-file and I just want to know how to insert icons in the unit_32.pcx. Doesn't find the one I want in the mega unit_32 -file. Which program you use since I can't use the civ3editor for this.....

Med Vänliga Hälsningar/Best Regards
Pappa Led* :crazyeye:

EDIT: Oh! I have CivIII 1.29f....

Wow, all the created units look nice. However, I am trying to build a scenario with 100's of custom made units, but is there a way to test them before starting my scenario? I would like to know if I am adding units correctly before starting the scenario only to find that I have done everything all wrong. I.E. is there a way to test one unit at a time?
Any help is appreciated.

Im having a few problems......first I can't find the file specified (the units file)......i click on the 'art' folder and theres only a 'Movies' folder in it. Also, in the 'how to' thing it says unzip the downloaded unit......i don't understand how to do this. I get a box that asks me to choose wat program I want to open the file with and I don't know what to choose. Im using Civ3 without PtW.

Originally posted by maples45
Wow, all the created units look nice. However, I am trying to build a scenario with 100's of custom made units, but is there a way to test them before starting my scenario? I would like to know if I am adding units correctly before starting the scenario only to find that I have done everything all wrong. I.E. is there a way to test one unit at a time?
Any help is appreciated.

Yes, under Prerequisite choose: None.

Under Required Resources: choose None.

Under Shield Cost: Set it to 0.

After that you can do a fast test.

Rocoteh

Thanks for the advice, but I actually found it to be easier to just place a few of the units on the map in the editor and then just load the mod and see if it loads properly.
Cheers,
Maples

Top Bottom