Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

The best way to expand your borders is to conquer your enemies. :viking:

Or be a lucky barstud who gets free settlers and cities from barbarian goody huts.

So what i do in highly corrupted cities is the following if it says that it's only 2 more turns until it grows, I buy a granary.
Then I chop as many trees as possible for the next production (usually a library if I need to expand the borders.) And then buy that after the trees are chopped.

What's a point of granary there? Just more unhapinness from overcrowding to deal with.

Exactly. And what's the point of a library, if it is highly corrupted? If you want to "expand the borders", just chop/buy a settler - it's only 30s instead of 80s and it gives you 1gpt instead of costing 1gpt... ;)

In highly corrupted cities I usually do the following:
a) build a worker every 10 turns, if the age of railway is still ahead and/or highly productive core cities can still be enlarged via worker-join. (That way "re-locating" the population from highly corrupt areas to highly productive areas.)
b) If a) no longer makes sense, irrigate and rail 3 grasslands and then have 3 citizens in the field and 3 scientist for a total of 10 beakers per turn (9 from the scientists and one beaker is always uncorrupted, no matter how far from the Palace the town is). This is called "science farms". 2 grasslands and 1 plain (with irrigation and rail) provide enough food to feed 6 citizens, so we can have 3 citizens working the tiles and 3 generating (uncorrupted!) beakers as scientists. With a food bonus like cow, wheat, deer it is sometimes even possible to have 2 farmers feeding 4 scientists.

And of course highly corrupted towns don't get any buildings. No granary, library, market, aqueduct, nothing. They only cost maintenance and don't provide any "return on investment"...

(Of course things are different, when playing for a 100K culture victory: then every town - no matter how corrupt - gets as many culture buildings as possible. And the above also does not apply when running a Communism government.)

You rush a temple or library in a faraway city, start producing workers, and then use the workers to set up colonies. Meanwhile, send Horsemen or any other fast and/or cheap unit (especially Enkidu Warriors or Hoplites) to hold the colonies.

What's a point of granary there? Just more unhapinness from overcrowding to deal with.

faster growth of city, turn them into scientists/workers/settlers.
Library for border expansion.

But I think it's a leftover from my 'build everything everywhere' phase.
Also, I like to go communist later in games when I'm in a continuous war to win the game.

I might have to ask for my surname to be changed to Sonofavić, but if you have a lot of population in your city then when the AI conquers your city they'll have more trouble dealing with the locals. You can always have a communal-corruption government.

Alright.. I've read, I looked it up, I've checked and double checked and have yet to find this answer.... i mean a clear answer. I'm sure it's scattered across this forum.

When I complete a mine in my own territory... i've noticed my +gold does not increase.
I've seen screenshots of road systems looking like spider webs leading to every mine and irrigation system.

Is this what I need to do??? Connect everything to everything?..
Somewhere I read that that isn't necessary. I just don't get it. Even when I connect a road and then check I still don't see an increase in gold... but then.. sometimes I do... I'm not getting consistent observations.

Should every tile in my territory have a mine/irrigation? Do each of them need a road leading to them?... ugh :), I don't think they do unless they're outside of my highlighted border area

I know I'm about 10 years too late asking this.

Even inside my own border?

And what does it mean to have a colonist working a tile? I make my mine or irrigation and then I leave. Is there something else I should do??

I'm missing something simple here :)

tick on that mine in the city screen and one citizen of the city will be working in that field . Make sure the mine lies within the city limits of at least one city . That limits as described by the cultural borders up to 100 . The description might be off but you will see my point quickly .

I believe I figured it out before I came back to check here :p

It's a matter of food and population. (I think).. not enough population, then not enough people to work the mines.. therefore some mines within city limits aren't being worked.

Not sure what you mean by:
"That limits as described by the cultural borders up to 100 ."

Is the cultural border the big highlighted border around all my cities? The one that keeps expanding? And 100 what?

When I zoom in on a city there is a smaller highlighted area where I am seeing my production. Is that the city limit? And can I work mines and irrigation outside the city limits??

your city lies in the middle of an X , made by omitting the corners of 3 tiles by 3 ties "square" . Your cultural borders up to 10 allows the working of the tiles immediately next to your city . When cultural value of your city passes 10 , the city limit will extend to the maximum area you can use . You increase the culture with the likes of libraries and temples but as said the highlighted area is the maximum area you can use from that city .

ı have heard it time after time that my posts are confusing ; must be real considering English is not my native thing , but as said you have already the answers .

Even inside my own border?

And what does it mean to have a colonist working a tile? I make my mine or irrigation and then I leave. Is there something else I should do??

I'm missing something simple here :)

You've probably got it by now, but there is a difference between the workers outside a city who are developing the land with roads/mines/irrigation, and the citizens of that city who are working that land to produce gold, food and shields. You assign those citizens from within the city screen.

So if you build a road or a mine but don't have someone in the city working that tile then it will give you no benefit. So there is no point in building more mines than your city population can work. Roads of course are also useful for faster travel.

Thanks for responding folks. I might have a few questions later as I attempt to move the game into a more difficult setting.

Right now I'm playing mass regicide. Seems the simplest way to go for me right now.

Oh dear, mass regicide. Welcome to the forums, Mr. D!

Your science advisor… you can access the full screens for the six advisors by pressing F1-F6. In the science advisor (F6), you always start by whatever era you are in, and you can press the keys (←/→) to move between the four eras. You can also click on the era buttons near the bottom of the science advisor's screen.

Hi, can someone please explain to me the following questions concerning the two attached screenshots:

1) How this city can use the strategic and luxury resources when it's not connected to them (no Harbor)

2) Why the Granary is not working in this city?

I'm confused :confused:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 67
Hi, can someone please explain to me the following questions concerning the two attached screenshots:

1) How this city can use the strategic and luxury resources when it's not connected to them (no Harbor)

I'm confused :confused:
1) all I can think of is that it's connected through the allied city it shares the island with.
I know allied cities don't "break" the trade route, but I don't know if allied cities can make a trade route also. (like if the road goes through an allied/friendly city, the trade route is still there, just like coast lines. But I don't know if it can use a friendly harbor too, but looking at the screenshot; it can.)

2) no idea, maybe the peoples think the granary is ugly.

Is this a modded game? Maybe something's bugged.

1. The route goes by road to Byzantium, over the water between their harbor and some other harbor (possibly another civ's), then by road (possibly through other civ's territory) to your luxuries and resources. If you go to war with anyone in the chain you'll lose them.

2. It's working but you haven't filled half the food box yet so you can't see it. You get the normal 10 food bonus from population 6, but at population 7 the box gets bigger.

Top Bottom