The Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Question Thread II!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, in music notation, each note is half the size of the next larger note. In other words, there are 2 half notes in 1 whole note. There are 2 eighth notes in 1 quarter note. Triplets are 3 notes per the next larger note. So there are 3 eighth note triplets in 1 quarter note.

My question is, triplets have a name. What's the name of the normal notation? Doublets?

Might be a language difference here... But at least in my language:

Duplets are NOT the normal notations! That's a common misconception around here.

Triplets are "exceptional rythmic division", and duplets, or quadruplets, are only called duplets or quadruples when they are in tertiary time signatures.

But also, we have sextuples (triplets, twice as fast) and nonolets (9), so on.

Might be a language difference here... But at least in my language:

Duplets are NOT the normal notations! That's a common misconception around here.

Triplets are "exceptional rythmic division", and duplets, or quadruplets, are only called duplets or quadruples when they are in tertiary time signatures.

But also, we have sextuples (triplets, twice as fast) and nonolets (9), so on.
Ok, then what is the normal music notation name?

At least in my language (keep in mind it might be different in English), they are simply called eights, fourths, whole notes, etc. There is no collective name for them. :)

At least in my language (keep in mind it might be different in English), they are simply called eights, fourths, whole notes, etc. There is no collective name for them. :)

Well that sucks!

Another question: Has anyone else other than me noticed the following?

There is an old death metal band named Death. I noticed this about their song formats, and it seems no one else I have ever encountered has ever mentioned it. All of their songs (at least on their first 3 albums) are in one of these two formats: AAB or ABA. I shall elucidate.

They play a bunch of riffs (a riff is just a part of a song where the notes all seem to flow together). They then repeat those exact same riffs, the same way, in the same order. So that can be considered section A played twice. Then they play a bunch of other riffs. That next group of riffs is section B. Then the song ends. So that's the AAB format of their songs. Every once in a while, a song will have an introductory riff or two which is not played again.

Their songs on "Scream Bloody Gore" are all either AAB or ABA. Their songs on "Leprosy" are all ABA except for one song, the name of which I can't remember (I believe it's "Open Casket"). 100% of their songs on "Spiritual Healing" are ABA.

This, in my opinion, is just completely lame and unimaginative. Sure, their riffs are good, but making different song formats isn't going to kill anybody.

So, has anyone else ever noticed this? And no, I'm not imagining this. It's true and easily provable by just listening to the songs.

Shire as a suffix can be shurr (yokle speak) or shear (poncy southern fairy speak). Oddly when said on it's own it is said as written.

Old England drops the r too. Wus-ter-shur / wus-ter-shear

Glos-ter

Ports-m'th. Emphasis on the O and m'th like azimuth.

Maybe that's how you pronounce 'em in Old England. We're less civilized over here, y'know. :)

We have Indian-named crap, too, like the Woonasquatucket River. Pronounced the way it looks.

So, has anyone else ever noticed this? And no, I'm not imagining this. It's true and easily provable by just listening to the songs.

I did not notice because I've never listened to Death. But my question is; what's wrong with the structures Intr-A-A-B-Coda (How do you say coda in english) and Intr-A-B-A-Coda?

What city, if any, in the old USSR would possibly have been known as "salt mine city"? I've never known what that's supposed to be alluding to...

Well we stopped fer a coffee in West Berlin
An' the piggies had a hunderd mile pee
I sez "Pigpen, from here on it's wall to wall bears"
He sez "Bash the wall, we gonna see"
Well them Big Red bears must a been in the bush
Cause we didn't see a one all day
So we raked up the leaves, 'n we shook out the trees
'Till they finally had somethin' to say... You got it...

Commrade Duck !
You have been given until daybreak in Murmansk
To get your cotton-picking trucks out of the U-S-S-of-R
YOU VILL COPY!!!

Well we shot them rigs through Salt Mine City
With the hammer an' the sickle on down

Then we hooked a fan, through the Sea a Japan
An' tooled into Transistor Town
I sez "Pigpen, this here must be the place
Cause everybody's eatin' with sticks"
He sez "10-4, this here's CB land
Cause my channel knob just went crick"

Wieliczka or Bochnia? but they are in poland so idk.

Wieliczka Salt Mine is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, second oldest salt mine in the world (oldest is Bochnia), has 1.2 MILLION visitors per year, is called the Underground Salt Cathedral of Poland, and has existed since the 13th century

Wieliczka or Bochnia? but they are in poland so idk.

The singer, C.W. McCall, never struck me as the geographically learned type, so anything in the Warsaw Pact probably would have been USSR to him. One of those is probably it, thanks!

Question

The phrase "the horsehockey end of the stick" implys that sticks where one end was covered in poop were suficiently common to create their own idiom. While I can see why on occasion there would be a stick with one end covered in poop, why was such an occurance common enough to generate it's own phrase. What was the purpose that required enough horsehockey sticks that the concept entered the common consiousness?

Grab a branch with leaves and wipe your ass if you are out in the woods and lacking toilet paper. You have a stick...one end you are holding, the other one with leaves is now laden with poo. Just a guess.

Question

The phrase "the horsehockey end of the stick" implys that sticks where one end was covered in poop were suficiently common to create their own idiom. While I can see why on occasion there would be a stick with one end covered in poop, why was such an occurance common enough to generate it's own phrase. What was the purpose that required enough horsehockey sticks that the concept entered the common consiousness?
Not sure but when you are walking after cattle they make a mess.
If you use a stick you hold it at one end, the other end is hitting the ground or a cow's ass all the time. After this you always hold that stick at the clean end.

I did not notice because I've never listened to Death. But my question is; what's wrong with the structures Intr-A-A-B-Coda (How do you say coda in english) and Intr-A-B-A-Coda?

There's no coda. It just stops at the end of B or one of the As. The problem is ALL OF THEIR SONGS ARE LIKE THAT. That's LAME spelled with a capital LAME. Never have I encountered any band or composer that does ALL of his songs in the same format.

I think this is a question worth its own thread :)

But anyway, I finished my degree 2 years ago, and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

I applied to 6 different universities, and a different subject in each... I failed the Cambridge interview, so I ended up going to Imperial (which meant I studied Physics). Three years later, armed with a solid degree from what was now the 5th best university in the world :)dubious:), I went job-hunting. I applied for a bunch of different jobs, mostly "to do with numbers". It took 6 months of interviews before I perfected my BS-ing technique and finally landed a job. It was a computery statisticy type job, where I used databases and spreadsheets to analyse how effectively the company was winning new customers. I got bored of this quite quickly, so I got a new job - again, computery statisticy in nature. I'm now bored of this job.

I really don't know what I want to do. But at least at the moment I'm overpaid and underemployed, rather than the other way around. I always thought I wanted a job where I was paid to sit around on the internet all day. But I've had TWO of those jobs, and I am bored of both.

How old are you?

Eighteen, and this is my first semester in college. My parents want me to be a pharmacist, but I don't like science very much. They have the mindset that it doesn't matter what I like so long as I get paid well and that even if I'm miserable, it's worth it. :ack:

I thought I wanted to be a music major, but after talking to quite a few of the music professors, I don't think I'm cut out for that either. I love music, and I'm a pretty good flutist but I'm not that competitive and I mostly play because I enjoy it, not because I want to beat someone out of their chair and be the best there ever was, because I'm no Galway and that's never going to happen.

So, I don't know what I want, and I feel like I should know because everyone else my age seems to have it all figured out and it's frustrating. Most of my guy friends want to be engineers of sorts, and all of my friends in the music building are hardcore musicians and pretty much take all music courses and the bare minimum general ed. I've got a very good amount of my required general ed. classes finished already because of Cambridge, so that whole "take a bunch of different classes and explore your options" thing is a little hard to do. I signed up for the lecture one of the professors is giving on choosing a major the other day, and I'm hoping it will help but I doubt I'm going to figure out what I want to do with my life in the course of an hour.

I wants to ask: Is that the truth that most videos on Youtube are good for Obama and bad for McCain. If it is the truth, then why?

I've never really understood British politics and the whole "Prime Minister" and Parliament thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom