City State Diplomacy Mod (Updated)

That's an odd situation, and definitely related to the random events mod. There should be an easy tag that says something like 'if civ=no capital, delete culture tiles' or something.

I'd love to mod in a way to see a rival civ's influence in a CS, but I'm not sure how. I'll PM Onni (DiploWillard creator) and see if he knows how to pull that info out with LUA.

Would be nice to tie it to a unit or to a policy, but that might be above the capacity of our current modding situation.

Or maybe a tech? A policy would be more exciting, as you haven't touched them except the one. Maybe mod the Cultural Diplomacy policy as that is the weakest one IMO.

Lots of fun ideas here, V. Soma. I think I might try moving the UN to Mass Media just to see what happens. Especially now that the game requires more time to win diplo, it might be nice to have a little more time to actually collect all of those city-state alliances you need.

(Oops. Forgot to respond to this post)
Interesting - is there a way I can put that in myself to test it?

I'm at work, and can't currently see the files, but it shouldn't be hard. Would be something like:

<Buildings>
<Update>
<Set PrereqTech="TECH_MASS_MEDIA"/>
<Where Building="BUILDING_UNITED_NATIONS"/>
</Update>
<Buildings>

Then add it to the mod and activate it

OR

you can just make a duplicate of your buildings.xml file in the Buildings folder of the actual game (for backup) then mod the original file. Change the prereqtech of United Nations to Mass Media (can copy-paste from Stadium over the UN's prereqtech) and done!

Civilopedia entry would obviously be off, but everything else should be fine.

I'm at work, and can't currently see the files, but it shouldn't be hard. Would be something like:

<Buildings>
<Update>
<Where Building="BUILDING_UNITED_NATIONS"/>
</Update>
<Buildings>

Then add it to the mod and activate it

OR

you can just make a duplicate of your buildings.xml file in the Buildings folder of the actual game (for backup) then mod the original file. Change the prereqtech of United Nations to Mass Media (can copy-paste from Stadium over the UN's prereqtech) and done!

Civilopedia entry would obviously be off, but everything else should be fine.

Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Another thought in re view other civ's influence: Unlocked when embassy established (gold gift) - realistic, because you will have permanent staff members keeping tabs on what other civs are up to. Also provides strategy for whether to plop that gold down on highly contested CSs.

Yesterday a CS gave me a diplo unit as free unit
(as a "Great Person", by the approproate social policy, I guess, as it was Oslo, which is not militaristic)

/at least I remember this way, that it was not mine, just popped up there/

Is that OK?

this mod is awesome. The only pain is that now it's impossible to ally a city state after another civ has claimed it - since they maintain their relationship very well.

this mod is awesome. The only pain is that now it's impossible to ally a city state after another civ has claimed it - since they maintain their relationship very well.

Although this makes playing difficult, I count it as a good gameplay effect ;)

This is by design. The AI has an extreme proclivity towards violence, which (in vanilla) led to the complete destruction of most city-states by the industrial era. This seemed ridiculous, because the benefits of CSs outweigh conquering them in most cases. Thus I tuned the AI to 'love thy neighbor' and really push for an alliance with all neighboring CSs.

It is possible to take a CS from the AI, but the key is to do it quickly with a bunch of units. They will outdo your efforts if you only send a diplomatic unit once every twenty turns.

Another fun tactic is to declare war on the civ and target their city nearest the CS– this will make it harder for them to get diplo units through your civilization. Sure, the allied CS will hate you for a while, but nothing a few state visits won't fix, right? :)

On the flip side, V. Soma, the gifting of diplo units is a known problem. To use the Great Merchant ability, diplo units have to be defined as a <SpecialUnit>. This means the AI pools them with great people when considering gifts.

It will be corrected once the DLL SDK hits.

G

Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Another thought in re view other civ's influence: Unlocked when embassy established (gold gift) - realistic, because you will have permanent staff members keeping tabs on what other civs are up to. Also provides strategy for whether to plop that gold down on highly contested CSs.

Seek,

Did this work? Let me know! I'm starting to memorize Civ 5 code off of the top of my head....

Seek,

Did this work? Let me know! I'm starting to memorize Civ 5 code off of the top of my head....

Ha! It took a few tries, but I got it working with this setup:

Code:
<Buildings>
		<Update>
			<Where Type="BUILDING_UNITED_NATIONS"/>
		</Update>
</Buildings>

Cheers

It's possible through Envoy spam.

What do you mean? Sonereal, have you min/max'ed my mod? :lol:

No. :p

I'm playing on a dated version though (v1.2 since I don't want to update in the middle of a game and you update every two days:lol:)

The AI LOVES the diplo units and since there was on a limit on them, no one was impaired. With CCMAT, production is pretty decent which meant that some city-states became so heavily influenced by another civilization after a while that it became near impossible to flip them to your side.

Well....not really.

It just involves sending all your diplo units to one city-state until it flips. India had nearly 250 influence points with Bucharest in one of my games. As soon as I flipped them, I declared war and I think that wiped India's influence from the region.

No. :p

I'm playing on a dated version though (v1.2 since I don't want to update in the middle of a game and you update every two days:lol:)

The AI LOVES the diplo units and since there was on a limit on them, no one was impaired. With CCMAT, production is pretty decent which meant that some city-states became so heavily influenced by another civilization after a while that it became near impossible to flip them to your side.

Well....not really.

It just involves sending all your diplo units to one city-state until it flips. India had nearly 250 influence points with Bucharest in one of my games. As soon as I flipped them, I declared war and I think that wiped India's influence from the region.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, I've since imposed a soft cap on unit numbers so the AI will do something besides make the diplo units.

250...that's a lot of influence! And yes, DoW with an ally causes the CS to go to -60 with the player. Ouch...

There shouldn't be any major, game altering changes for awhile (until the new DLL stuff is pushed out). Perhaps a tweak here and there, but nothing like the changes since v. 12 and before.

G

I tried this mod today and found one problem. I managed to conquer England completely around turn 200 but they were still allied with city-state of Warsaw in turn 280. I wanted to ally with Warsaw and thought it would be easy because there weren't other civs in that continent. So I made some emissaries and sent them to Warsaw, but England remained their ally even though I had 335 influence with Warsaw. So how much influence England had with Warsaw???:confused: I didn't continue using emissaries in Warsaw after that.

This was really frustrating and I hope this isn't intended.

Besides that this mod is really cool and unit-based diplomacy is much better than gold gifting.

And yes, DoW with an ally causes the CS to go to -60 with the player. Ouch...

Honestly, I found that somewhat unintuitive. I'd think that the ally declaring war on another civ shouldn't be that drastic of a hit. The other way around yeah, since the non-ally civ was the aggressor.

I tried this mod today and found one problem. I managed to conquer England completely around turn 200 but they were still allied with city-state of Warsaw in turn 280. I wanted to ally with Warsaw and thought it would be easy because there weren't other civs in that continent. So I made some emissaries and sent them to Warsaw, but England remained their ally even though I had 335 influence with Warsaw. So how much influence England had with Warsaw???:confused: I didn't continue using emissaries in Warsaw after that.

Besides that this mod is really cool and unit-based diplomacy is much better than gold gifting.

Are you playing with random events? We discovered that the tile pop event allows fully conquered civs to remain allies with CSs. Yes, it's annoying.:p

It isn't intended, however there is no way currently to prevent such high amounts of influence or "zero-out" a rival's influence. I will correct this once we have more tools at our disposal. The same goes for the -60 war declaration issue- it is a hard-coded value that applies for aggressor and non-aggressor DoWs.

Thanks for the feedback- I have added your comments to my
'to-do' list.

Top Bottom