Hoover Dam & Coal Plants

BlueBomberDude

Chieftain
Sorry if this has been discussed b4 but I can't use search.

Anyways - I just built the Hoover Dam so now all my cities on that continent should get the benefit of a Hydro Plant. My question is whether building a Coal Plant in any of those cities will replace the Hydro Plant, or are the production effects cumulative?

as zardnaar says. i do know that if you build one power plant and then build another, the new BUILT power plant supercedes the other one. So there is no cumulative effect.

If you had built a coal plant, once you completed the Hoover Dam, a Hydro Plant would appear in that city and the coal plant would be gone and able to be built again. Once you re-built it, it would take the place of the Hydro Plant but than Hoover would put another back in.

If you have a Hoover Dam, the old plant stays in your city. YOU PAY UPKEEP but get no benefits. What a rip off ;)

therefore, sell the Coal Plant.

what do you mean by and how do you "sell off" a building

Nuclear plants are useful in cities already aided by Hoover's, though.

Its in the city screen (on the left). Right click on any of the building graphics and you can sell them.

I usually do this with cities I plan on gifting them to an allied civ.

Nuclear plant becomes obsolete if you build the hydro or any other power plant,and this counts for all.So what's the reason on having them both?

He just said it. Nuke plant gives larger prod bonus. MORE SHIELDS. prob. not worth it though..

Nuclear plants give a 100% production bonus as opposed to other plants that only give a 50% production bonus. So in cities with a fresh water source, a nuclear plant is useful--it still negates the effects of any other plant in the city, but if you have Hoover's, a nuclear plant is useful to build because it goes beyond the free hydro plant in each city on the same continent as Hoover's.

Top Bottom