Bad habits

My bad habit would be wanting to dominate. I know we all want to end up winning the game, but my issue usually arises in the early game. If i get a 'meh' start with crappy luxes (plains incense or something), no faith-generating pantheon available, and crappy expand lands neighbored by tons of CS or warmongers, I just don't feel the urge to play it out.

I want a nice river start with some gems or quarry resources nearby for faith, maybe a hilly desert river start for petra. I want at least two juicy expand locations within reasonable distance. Things like this. It's a bad habit because even though I've beaten games on Deity that seemed completely un-winnable (tundra spain start with only enough room for 3 cities total, no first-to-find natural wonders and no natural wonders in my cities), I find myself re-rolling crappy starts more and more often these days.

@Aheadatime I came here to post exactly what you wrote. I'm a deity player but I find stronger starts more fun and will often reroll. I also don't finish enough games which are foregone conclusions.

I love playing wide and building everything possible.

I was being very smug thinking that once I had artillery the AI could never take me down. When four of them combined and all started nuking me I had to rethink. Quickly.

I always forget to check when my cities grow, with production focus on.

I forget to move my generals until after the battle. I SO wish you could set the unit order or it would REMEMBER the order you moved units last turn. At least hit all the units ON THE SCREEN before yanking me across the map.

You can turn off auto unit select in the settings so you wont be yanked across the map all the time :D

Hi all.

This. And frequently playing Egypt doesn't help at all. Also missclicks like sending a wounded unit to a hex right within an enemy city fire range.

Okay the part you were referencing isn't included, but basically I think you guys were discussing "wonderwhoring."

I get why this may be counter productive in a strategic and tactical sense.

But why do you play games like this? To win?

Or to look at your beautiful lands and all the wonders you have wrought?

I'm a lot more of the second. Sometimes I scroll in and try to pick out all the great things I have built in a city (not sure I have tried this in Civ 5).

And I am "supposed" to play on deity, where my odds of building wonders are terrible? Or want to try Byzantium to play with what I can do with religion, but my odds of founding one are likewise not very good? (At least to get good features).

Really? Not my cup of tea?

In Civ 4 I actually only played a mod called "Fall from Heaven." Basically it seemed to me that the approach most people took was to go aristograrian and club the world to death with huge stacks of bronze warriors.

Forget about all the cool stuff later in the tech tree. Archmages, Knights, etc. Just club the world to death by round 200 or something.

And you win on deity. Yay.

I usually go freedom, regardless of the situation.

1. Wandering through the other side of the map with 1st warrior so it takes ages to get him back.

2. 1st settler goes on his own, usually because of #1.

3. Delaying unit production due to buildings preference. Usually it can be worked out through diplomacy when seeing an AI army near my borders but not always. Having Atilla or Shaka or Genghis for my neighbour actually helps me raising an army :)

1. Getting fixated on warring with an enemy when I should see logic and sue for peace, therby bankrupting myself and letting other Civs power past me in the meantime.

2. Always going psuedo communism (Chinese flavour) when capitalism is the winning flavour in this game.

Buying excess city states with Venice when I already have enough and unhappiness becomes so bad that the game becomes unplayable.

Top Bottom