Building Made Fun!

Building Made Fun!
~And then I saw the vast city with Buildings of Stone, each more magnificent than the last~

Current Version: v10.3 ~ Current version available in Mod Browser or in the downloads database

<<MAKE SURE ALL OLDER VERSIONS ARE DELETED>>

What is Building Made Fun!?
Building Made Fun is a modification for Civilization V, providing more strategic options for :c5production: Builders. It includes new and updated buildings, wonders, national wonders and techs, as well as additional effects for some social policies. The Modern Age and Culture options receive special attention. This mod includes Thalassicus' great CiVUP (Unofficial Patch) and a small selection of TBC (Thal's Balance Combined).

Why isn't this on the first post?
Due to personal reasons Moriboe is having less time to work on this fantastic mod. To stop it from dying, Pouakai stepped in, and control of the mod is being transferred slowly to him, gradually taking more of a role as he "learns the ropes"

Why isn't this working for me?
If the mod is not working, please reply to this topic with the following information:
Issue: (Provide a detailed account of what is happening)
Version of BMF:
System specs: (OS, RAM, Video Card etc.)
Other Mods enabled: (What other mods you were loading the game with)
Other: (Any other info you think is neccicary
This will allow us to solve your problem as quickly as possible.

Key features:
  • New buildings and wonders, each with their own niche
  • Focus on city placement
  • Reworked classical and modern tech tree, with actual space race
  • More ways to get culture
  • Workshop tile improvement, boosted by communism
  • Environmentalism

Rule changes:
  • National wonders (including palace) limited to 3 per city
  • Cultural victory condition increased to 6 trees
  • Higher research agreement costs
  • Jungle -1 food (can be added back with building) and +1 gold, trading post not allowed

Credits:
Spoiler :
Moriboe, for establishing this fantastic mod, without which this topic would not exist!
ambrox62: the Moai Statues, Parthenon, Petra splash, Colosseum icon and Pergamon Altar effects
asioasioasio: the Burj Khalifa wonder
lemmy101: the TechTreeEditor is pretty awesome
lichen8566: ActionIcons.lua, wouldn't have found it myself
Morlark: tech tree pipe fixes in TechTree.lua
Mylon: culture per pop
Pouakai & sukritact: Broadway
SamBC: the GIMP icon template
Slowpoke: research agreements made more expensive
Thalassicus: CiVUP and a selection from TBC
Valkrionn: used his workshop improvement

Is CiVUP 7.2.7 going to be added into BMF sooner or later? Mori has already mentioned something on the last page here.

While doing autoplays (c'mon AI, play better this time with my AI settings!) with 7.3 and no BMF, I had a lot of CTDs but not with 7.2.7. No idea if 7.3 is causing that but I'd be fine with CiVUP 7.2.7.

I'd like requests for new features people, if you don't mind.
1. A few more wonders. The RMS Titanic mod co-exists with this mod but so far most other ones I've tried eventually cause crashes. Since I prefer to play as Rome it would be nice if the Flavian Amphitheater wonder was added.

2. A few (just one or two each) infantry and armor upgrades based on future technology. Perhaps you could cherry pick them from the Procylon's Call to Power Project. I don't see a need for similar advances for ships/airplanes/artillery/missles.

3. Some way to upgrade diplomatic relationships over a long period of time so that eventually you can propose forming a permanent alliance with a single AI player. Not the same as a team (you still control your own units, diplomatic relationships etc. and if you win that doesn't mean the other player in the alliance does too), but something permanent (only way to break it is via declaring war on that player) where the alliance provides more benefits than you can get via treaties/trade.

4. There is an existing mod that lets you build a tunnel through mountains. Could you integrate it? http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?107689-MOD-Units-Tunnel-Boring-Machine-(TBM)

5. Add the ability to a worker to create land by filling in coast land. I'm thinking of something that is slow enough you're not going to normally do it, but might be useful in a few strategic locations.

1. A few more wonders. The RMS Titanic mod co-exists with this mod but so far most other ones I've tried eventually cause crashes. Since I prefer to play as Rome it would be nice if the Flavian Amphitheater wonder was added.

2. A few (just one or two each) infantry and armor upgrades based on future technology. Perhaps you could cherry pick them from the Procylon's Call to Power Project. I don't see a need for similar advances for ships/airplanes/artillery/missles.

3. Some way to upgrade diplomatic relationships over a long period of time so that eventually you can propose forming a permanent alliance with a single AI player. Not the same as a team (you still control your own units, diplomatic relationships etc. and if you win that doesn't mean the other player in the alliance does too), but something permanent (only way to break it is via declaring war on that player) where the alliance provides more benefits than you can get via treaties/trade.

4. There is an existing mod that lets you build a tunnel through mountains. Could you integrate it? http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?107689-MOD-Units-Tunnel-Boring-Machine-(TBM)

5. Add the ability to a worker to create land by filling in coast land. I'm thinking of something that is slow enough you're not going to normally do it, but might be useful in a few strategic locations.

1. I have made several wonders, and more than happy to integrate them, but could you please tell me which mods cause crashes?

2. I will attempt this, but I'm still learning.

3. Given my current level of capabilities and the focus of the mod I believe this will not be a feature of BMF at any point

4. I have seen that mod, and will aim to integrate it at some point

5. I imagine that will involve complicated LUA coding, so I'm probably not the best guy to be asking, but I'm all for the idea.

Following custom wonders are incompatible to BMF so far because they are already included:
- Petra Wonder
- The Parthenon Wonder
- Burj Khalifa
- Large Hadron Collider Wonder
- Broadway Wonder
- Moai Statues Wonder

Anything else should work together with BMF.

Oh yes, also forgot the Moai Statues. If anything else is missing then I further edit my post above.
Maybe add this info somewhere to the mod's description before more ppl install incompatible wonders. It's too hidden in the credits which most ppl hardly bother to read anyway.

Btw, the URL in post#1 leading to page 9 is broken. Maybe Mori can fix that one day.

What I forgot to ask: Are you really going to add all your custom wonders to BMF sooner or later?
Why not but the technology tree will get really blown up them.

Definitely put in everything that seems right! Though all could be overkill. I'd look for room in the tech tree and balance: e.g., having 4 wonders that gift a free policy could be unbalancing towards cultural victories, especially if they are along the same tech path. Or effects that add up or multiply to allow for a monstrous city (e.g. gold output). Synergies are great, but too strong and they could dominate strategies too much. In general I found it hard to balance the mod as to prevent falling into a pattern when playing. Just some quick thoughts.

@erm4gh: The Flavian Amphitheater wonder is already in as the Colosseum (the building was renamed amphitheatre), albeit with different effects as Ambrox's version (as I only "borrowed" its icon afterwards). But effects can always be redistributed.

@Mentos: link fixed, thanks.

As for wonders: Maybe a full list could serve for both general and compatibility information. An overview:

Fully integrated mods (graphics come later):

- The Parthenon, with effects of Pergamon Altar (Ambrox)
- Moai Statues (Ambrox)
- Burj Khalifa (asioasioasio)
- Broadway (Pouakai, sukritact)

Also out there in other mods (all iirc):

- Colosseum/Flavian Amphitheatre (icon by Ambrox)
- Petra Wonder (splash by Ambrox)
- Large Hadron Collider
- Itaipu dam
- Hollywood

Not seen elsewhere:

- Shwedagon Zedi Daw
- Meteora
- The Registan
- Sputnik
- The Apollo Program (tech victory starts with Project Longshot)
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Human Genome Project
- Global Seed Vault

Also don't be afraid to scrap some of these to make room for your own...

What are the plans for last version of MBF before June/July patch ?

Thanks, and it is nice for CivUP and parts of TBC to be included...

Feedback a little red number mix with power number in other cities than player's cities...

It could be a long time still before the patch hits our games. I usually had more frequent version changes here (using the decimal notation) than I submitted to the mod browser. You could upload v11 to CFC and wait to upload (v11.x) to the mod browser till after the patch.

Or... try uploading to the mod browser too to see if you can (different account might be problem), otherwise a (minor) name change will be needed. I can then upload v11 and announce the new name (and lead developer :)).

1) What about a Standard Earth included in BMF ? It would have 22 civs and surely City-States... It would be easy by generating with mapscript Earth included in game, placing these Civs and City-States and tuning ressources and "voilà" ! It would not be too harsh to make and would be really nice to play a Real World...

Of course, a fictional map could be created for strategic purpose...

A few maps realistic of fictional would be a good value added for BMF...

2) Why not adding new City States Types by Iceco ?

I'll also jump the suggestion wagon :D

- The PerfectWorld3 map script I think would go nicely with BMF because its larger desert and jungle fields.

- I just saw a new airport building with airlift capability; could be a candidate for merging with the current airport building in BMF.

But you may have your hands full adapting to the new patch, which is not to be underestimated in number of choices to be made (and tracking down the right code entries).

Top Bottom