New player had first war and I have to say...

Mr_jones

Chieftain
It was really underwhelming. Granted I'm only playing on prince and after this war I will probably move up a difficulty. But pretty much Alexander declared war on me and I didn't even have to do anything. I had 1 archer garrisoned in the city with walls. He just threw his 8 or so units which were a warrior, some hoplites, archers, catapults at my city and they died. After that he tried to peace out but I said no upped production on military units and just annexed his whole empire.

Also whats the point of the AI pledging friendship if they really don't do anything. When Alexander declared war I asked the AI to attack him also and they said no andthen proceded to ask me for free resources, gold, and to attack someone else.

If you hadn't defeated Alex, then your allies would be less friendly to him. Also, being friends with a civ means that they probably won't declare war on you.

Upping the AI level won't change how woefully incompetent the warring AI is. It just means he'll throw 12 or so units at your city instead of 8 :(

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes the AI can sneak up on you. I had a nice little builder game going. I was surrounded by "friendly" civs and had three or four CS allies already. Religion was spreading like a plague. Things looked good. Now, I was trusting in a militaristic CS to keep my armies up to date. I had a nice war chest to rush a couple of units, just in case.

Then, Assyria starts buzzing around my northernmost city. Three siege towers, Three pikemen, three composite bowman.

Sure enough, he backstabs me and attacks.

Perfect timing for his UU and he's got me by the shorthairs. Sigh. I'm toast.

^^Speaking of Assyria. He launched a naval attack on me last night. It wasn't a total suprise, as several of the AIs had warned me that he was going to attack my captial of Babylon.

He was a runaway and had conquered half the world.

He shows up with about a half-dozen frigates, almost a dozen privateers, plus his cannons and riflemen. I only had three destroyers, a few privateers, and two subs (I quickly purchased two more subs). It was a great battle, and though I did lose a destroyer, I finished him off in about 10 or 15 turns (while taking possession of three of his frigates). While this was going on a few of his riflemen got ashore and pillaged a few tiles, but I took care of that nonsense!

After I defeat his navy, I then head over to what used to be Germany (he had wiped them out of the game). I revived Germany by taking two of the captured cities and liberating them to him.

The war was over, but then later, Assyria went ahead and took back those two German cities, which meant, of course, I had to save Germany again.

I'm only saving him because I need his three votes in the UN.

Oh, I don't know. Sometimes the AI can sneak up on you. I had a nice little builder game going. I was surrounded by "friendly" civs and had three or four CS allies already. Religion was spreading like a plague. Things looked good. Now, I was trusting in a militaristic CS to keep my armies up to date. I had a nice war chest to rush a couple of units, just in case.

Then, Assyria starts buzzing around my northernmost city. Three siege towers, Three pikemen, three composite bowman.

Sure enough, he backstabs me and attacks.

Perfect timing for his UU and he's got me by the shorthairs. Sigh. I'm toast.

I've noticed that if I start building up units on the AIs border, they'll pop up a message asking what I'm doing, and my only options are to assure them I'm not planning an attack, or declare war right there. There's a major diplo hit as I understand it for claiming you have no hostile intentions and then attacking within the next 50(?) turns. I've had some wars lengthened because I had to declare early as a result. It would be nice if I could do the same thing when I see the AI massing troops. It might force them to come in with 4 or 5 units instead of 8-10 and give me more time to shift my focus to building units and stopping them in their tracks.

In my game with Assyria coming at me with that massive fleet, I decided to declare war first. No way I was going to wait until they got within reach of my capital.

I've noticed that if I start building up units on the AIs border, they'll pop up a message asking what I'm doing, and my only options are to assure them I'm not planning an attack, or declare war right there. There's a major diplo hit as I understand it for claiming you have no hostile intentions and then attacking within the next 50(?) turns. I've had some wars lengthened because I had to declare early as a result. It would be nice if I could do the same thing when I see the AI massing troops. It might force them to come in with 4 or 5 units instead of 8-10 and give me more time to shift my focus to building units and stopping them in their tracks.

That and you get first strike like they do when they do it to you.

I had Japan display some brilliance a little bit back. Im in an Africa-shaped continent, with me being roughly where Nigeria is, Japan in South Africa, the Ottomans in roughly Ethiopia and France in what'd be Egypt.
I have a city smack-dab in the middle of the continent, and I spot two Japanese swordsman walking up north. Having good reliationships with him, and him denouncing the Ottomans a bit earlier, I didn't think much of it. He then asked me if I'd join his war against Suleiman. I agreed, sent some units over to harass his cities (mostly just pillage a bit)...and suddenly Oda DOW's me, and I find my city surrounded by 2 catapults, 3 composite bows, 2 swordsmen and 2 spearmen. Needless to say, my units weren't back in time to support the lone Comp Bow and the city fell. Surprised me greatly, that.

Ah, you fell for my favorite AI tactic. "Hey, you wanna go to war with that guy? Great, you go attack him and I'll, um, guard -- yeah, guard! -- your cities for you. No need to thank me. I'm just that kind of guy."

I know, right!

By the way, if you are massing for an attack, just be sure to stage a few spaces out from the enemy border so the AI doesn't get his alarm flag tripped.

^^Speaking of Assyria. He launched a naval attack on me last night. It wasn't a total suprise, as several of the AIs had warned me that he was going to attack my captial of Babylon.

He was a runaway and had conquered half the world.

He shows up with about a half-dozen frigates, almost a dozen privateers, plus his cannons and riflemen. I only had three destroyers, a few privateers, and two subs (I quickly purchased two more subs). It was a great battle, and though I did lose a destroyer, I finished him off in about 10 or 15 turns (while taking possession of three of his frigates). While this was going on a few of his riflemen got ashore and pillaged a few tiles, but I took care of that nonsense!

After I defeat his navy, I then head over to what used to be Germany (he had wiped them out of the game). I revived Germany by taking two of the captured cities and liberating them to him.

The war was over, but then later, Assyria went ahead and took back those two German cities, which meant, of course, I had to save Germany again.

I'm only saving him because I need his three votes in the UN.

I like liberating Civs. Makes me feel all righteous. And the votes, that's good, too.

Yeah war can be underwhelming when you play on lower difficulties. The only game I tried to play peacefully, I was Germany next to the Ottomans, and we both had three cities and a DOF. I had a Landsneckt ( vanilla) and an archer, and he back stabbed me. Only time anyone has ever DOWd me. Surprisingly though, after rush buying four more Landsneckts, I just walked in and captured all his cities!

On higher difficulties you will reach a point where the AI mindlessly throwing their units at your cities will be enough to capture them, but I do agree that it's a bit of a pity that AI is so incapable of using its units in a meaningful way. Adding salt to this wound is the fact that city combat balance just generally is off, meaning that a city with just walls is capable of withstanding a military assault with no other support than just a single ranged unit. If instead cities had much less combat strength without proper defensive buildings, chances are AI would do much better at warfare and human players would actually bother building castles and arsenals.

I like liberating Civs. Makes me feel all righteous. And the votes, that's good, too.

Yeah--I'm the same way. And those four votes were important and I needed them.

But, unfortunately, Assyria kept attacking Germany's lone city. Then I lucked out (so I thought). Assyria went into rebellion and gave me a huge city right next to Germany's lone city. So I gave it to Germany. I figured it would give him a fighting chance.

Nope--Assyria declared war on Germany and took both cities in 5 turns. And the city I was given had 78 defense. But to be fair--the city was smack in the middle of Assyria. But it was right next to Germany's city.

It probably didn't help that the city was in rebellions, but I knew I sure as heck didn't want it.

Germany was wiped out (again).

I don't know why I never get any cities through revolution. Won a whole culture victory vs. 21 civs and never once did a city flip. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Take away all their luxes and put a trade embargo on them, and their happiness will plummet low enough for a city to flip.

Top Bottom