My Citizen is Misbehaving

sixty4half

Prince
I have this one citizen in Adrianople that wants to be an individual. He doesn't act like any of my other citizens and I can't figure out why he wants to act out like this.

No matter how many tiles I lock in the city screen, I always have one that is still the head profile picture instead of the pad-lock picture. I've played a few dozen games now and used that city screen hundreds of times in a hundred or so cities and I've never seen anything like it. I just can't lock this one citizen, and when i hover the mouse over it even says the thing about this is where the Governor has assigned your citizen. I'll make him unemployeed and the other 7 assigned citizens stay locked. I tell him to farm and it's the head profile again. If I tell my highly trained scientists to go take a fishing vacation, they're more than happy to be locked into that tile. But that one citizen still sits there in defiance, only listening to the governor. I mean, he does what I tell him, but it's like that scene in Friday where Smokey's talking about having mind control on Debo and when Debo walks away "I still be talkin'"

Has anyone ever seen this behavior before? Have any ideas why it would be doing this?

Assuming this is NOT a mod, the main thing that cause this is being unable to work a tile the city is locked to.

This can occur due to:

1. Founding or capturing a nearby city and that city automatically taking over "control" of the hex even though you had it locked.

2. For a land tile, a barb or enemy unit in the hex you have locked is preventing it from being worked.

3. For a water tile, a nearby barb / enemy unit is close enough to a locked tile and is preventing it from being worked.

In case 1, reset tiles. (And perhaps go thru the process of getting this hex back other control of this city)

In cases 2 and 3, killing the unit should restore normal behavior.

as players we should be able to banish such citizens out of our cities (and welcome citizens of other nations seeking refuge in our towns-mainly due to the cultural/economic aspect).
I don't let governors decide anything for me, ever, I make the decisions not the AI, and the city governors are AI. I rule over every decision of my people, worker actions, city production, diplomacy, tech, warfare, and other stuff, after all, it's a game made to play for human players.
(this also could be a reason why I usually end up losing, but hey, no biggie, only a game)

Assuming this is NOT a mod, the main thing that cause this is being unable to work a tile the city is locked to.

This can occur due to:

1. Founding or capturing a nearby city and that city automatically taking over "control" of the hex even though you had it locked.

2. For a land tile, a barb or enemy unit in the hex you have locked is preventing it from being worked.

3. For a water tile, a nearby barb / enemy unit is close enough to a locked tile and is preventing it from being worked.

In case 1, reset tiles. (And perhaps go thru the process of getting this hex back other control of this city)

In cases 2 and 3, killing the unit should restore normal behavior.
I can guarantee it's not 2 or 3. I'm currently at peace and have cleared all barbs from this island. I actually noticed this behavior quite early and it's been persistant through war and peace and no enemies have even gotten close to this island.

there are about 3-5 tiles that this city shares with Constantinople. All of those tiles are locked to one city or another. and have been since shortly after founding Adrionple. This guy can be assigned to any of the tiles and still show the non-locked symbol.

I don't use any mods except Artificial Unintelligence and I don't have it turned on for this game.

This is definitely a reason for it. I`d dare to say that it is because the hex is closer to the city you have just taken control over so it automatically gives the nearby land to it. And because you had locked hex to previous city it will behave this way. The easy solution is to just reset citizens by clicking on the city tile and then lock em again where you want to.

Top Bottom