US Midterms - Predictions and Aftereffects

Alright, but can't I vote in any polling place in my district? There's one polling place down the road from me, but there's another one further away (like a mile or 2), can I vote in either of them, I mean it's the same area, same town, so the same candidate, same ballot questions. I should be on both their lists right?

Not exactly. You have to be in the same local political district, the same State office political district, the same National representative district, AND the same school district. And these borders normally are NOT coincident with each other where I am from.
Spoiler :
The town I lived in, Ypsilanti, has a jurisdiction called the City of Ypsilanti, and a jurisdiction called the Township of Ypsilanti.
-The City, 4 square miles, has 9 Precincts (3 for each of 3 Wards). You'll have a voting site for each precinct. There are a total of 9 members of city council, representing a Precinct.
-The township, 32 square miles, is divided up in a similar manner but with I think 7 Township trustees.
-Now, the area comprising the City and Township are divided up into 3 school districts, the borders of which do NOT match the divisions of the township trustee divisions (though thankfully the city is fully within the administrative border of one of the 3 school districts).
Finally, the area is in 2 state representative districts, but in the same Federal district, though in the town right next door the US House rep border goes through the center of town.

I hope I did okay on my Advanced Quantum Mechanics midterm :(
You and me both. I might find out tomorrow. For me though, it's more like "do I still have any chance of passing, or should I rethink this whole graduate school thing?" Bad things happen when your answer to the last problem is "ich weiss nicht." I wish I were kidding.

On topic, I'll go with the majority opinion: Reps gain the House, Dems lose a bunch of seats but narrowly retain the Senate. I personally voted for a Democrat, a Republican, and a gay Libertarian for Governor, House, and Senate respectively. I think I really am an independent. :crazyeye:

Not exactly. You have to be in the same local political district, the same State office political district, the same National representative district, AND the same school district. And these borders normally are NOT coincident with each other where I am from.
Spoiler :
The town I lived in, Ypsilanti, has a jurisdiction called the City of Ypsilanti, and a jurisdiction called the Township of Ypsilanti.
-The City, 4 square miles, has 9 Precincts (3 for each of 3 Wards). You'll have a voting site for each precinct. There are a total of 9 members of city council, representing a Precinct.
-The township, 32 square miles, is divided up in a similar manner but with I think 7 Township trustees.
-Now, the area comprising the City and Township are divided up into 3 school districts, the borders of which do NOT match the divisions of the township trustee divisions (though thankfully the city is fully within the administrative border of one of the 3 school districts).
Finally, the area is in 2 state representative districts, but in the same Federal district, though in the town right next door the US House rep border goes through the center of town.

Oh screw it then, only reason I wanted to vote somewhere else is cause my friend for some weird reason feels uncomfortable voting by himself I dunno why he prefers to go to the polling place with me, and I don't mind because I'm a GOTV person so it's always good to have another reliable Democratic vote.

I predict that the Cthulhu Party will win in massive numbers.

I predict we'll get the government we deserve.

Dems keep the senate, reps take the house.

I predict that my write-in votes will have no significant effect on the outcome of those races. Regardless, I will continue to vote against everyone who runs unopposed.

Guys vote Green Party. Replace the Democrats.

I actually like the Democratic Party more than the Green Party anyway. It's not about lesser evils for me.

You mean a corporate insider who commits blatant corporate fraub in the pursuit of personal political goals?

Or Batman?

Things are only getting worse, it seems. Now they're talking about not raising the debt line which is coming up soon. Apparently, government bankruptcy is gaining popularity with our conservative friends though I really can't figure out why not being able to pay for anything would be good.

Do they think all those government contractors serving the military will work for free now?

I'm in a bad mood this morning, so I'm predicting 60+ House seat gains for the Republicans, a 50-50 Senate, and two solid years of crap coming out of Washington. I strongly suspect we'll be repeating history because a voting majority of Americans live in a facts-optional environment.

Things are only getting worse, it seems. Now they're talking about not raising the debt line which is coming up soon. Apparently, government bankruptcy is gaining popularity with our conservative friends though I really can't figure out why not being able to pay for anything would be good.

Do they think all those government contractors serving the military will work for free now?

They range from unconcerned about the future of the country and only want control to believing that only through control can they serve the future of the country. And then believe their own press releases about what that future should be like and how to get there. There is no grasp of reality and responsibility among Republican leaders.

I’m with the general predictions here. Dems keep Senate, but lose the House.

The one positive side of the Republicans getting the House is that now they will actually have to do something. No longer can they just sit back and be the opposition to everything Obama and the Dems are trying to do.

I’m with the general predictions here. Dems keep Senate, but lose the House.

The one positive side of the Republicans getting the House is that now they will actually have to do something. No longer can they just sit back and be the opposition to everything Obama and the Dems are trying to do.

I don't think that's true. Boehner is even worse than Gingrich when it comes to 100% opposition for the sake of 100% opposition. He thinks you have to destroy the village in order to save it.

They'll justify completely irresponsible actions with long lasting damage just to win.

"The choice in the upcoming elections boils down to this: It’s either Obama and the Democrats or America. You can’t have both."
— Rush Limbaugh

I’ve seen a lot of stuff recently about how people expect Boehner to become more centrist after the election.

Even if he doesn’t and they continue down the opposition track, Obama now has ammunition against it. When they were the minority, you could make an argument for opposing the majority (that’s their job, right?!). But if they are the majority, then they will need to step up and act like one. They no longer have the excuse that their job is just to be obstructionist.

And it would be quite interesting if he went the Gingrich route and forced a shut-down of the government. In my opinion they would be stupid to do that, especially given the “success” that Gingrich had with that approach.

People love to say how they hate government and it just gets in the way and is bad, bad, bad. But then the government stops and people realize that they like life better with it after all.

Top Bottom