Preventing an enemy space victory?

AndarielHalo

Prince
So in my current game, one of the other civs is 1 piece away from finishing the space ship, and I am 2 pieces away. I think I may have the technology that allows for the Stasis Chamber while they don't, but I can't know for sure.

So I zoomed a Missile Cruiser to their capital and nuked the ever-ing- out of it.

Will that work to prevent a Space victory? It went down from size 29 to size 2.

I think you'd have to actually capture the capital. Remember when the spaceship parts arrive at the capital, they don't stay there as units (in which case they could have been destroyed), they're added to the ship. You could still prevent the final piece from arriving at the capital by destroying it in route, though...

Capturing the capital does not prevent a space victory. All completed and added parts will be sent to the new capital.

Only way to really stop a civ from getting a space victory is to nuke the capital, land an invasion force and manually block the capital so no new parts can arrive and the capital itself doesn't have enough production to complete a part. Parts can also only be destroyed en route. However, I do not know if airlifting SS parts is possible, have to test this out some time.

You can prevent it if you keep nukes stationed over there. You'll get to see the final piece when it's coming. Station a spy over there too. Everytime the final piece gets close, nuke it. It will get you enough time to catch up.

Just checked, airlifting SS parts IS possible. They have a turn cooldown however after being airlifted (airlifting spends all movement points)

If there is a 1 turn cooldown after airlifting, the part should be nukable before it gets attached, correct?

-S

Capturing the capital does not prevent a space victory. All completed and added parts will be sent to the new capital.

Is that a new thing from BNW? Because in G&K I'm almost completely certain that you need your original capital.

If there is a 1 turn cooldown after airlifting, the part should be nukable before it gets attached, correct?

-S

It is, but I doubt the AI would be smart enough to airlift a SS part anyway. But it is a possibility for a sneaky science vic.

Is that a new thing from BNW? Because in G&K I'm almost completely certain that you need your original capital.

You don't need you original capital. Just a capital (and this is, by definition, at least one city which is enough to win). Not in G&K and I doubt they changed it in BNW.

I don't have Brave New World, so I'm assuming that Airlifting is a BNW thing because I haven't been able to airlift anything since Civ4.

For that game it doesn't matter because I ended up completing both of the final components before the enemy (though I had tried to take their capital). I'd still like to know how to prevent this sort of thing. Frustrating when Espionage can only amount to stealing technologies or telling me when they plot to attack people.

Space ship parts once attached to the ship has always been transported to the new capital in Civ V.

It's Civ IV (and all previous versions of Civ) in which taking the capital destroyed the ship. (This included somehow in Civ II if the spaceship had already been launched.)

Top Bottom