Zulu Discussion

I think the most needed changes are with England.
Needs to be renamed Great Britain and have a Redcoat rather than Longbowmen.

It doesn't need this. England evolves into Britain, so it's perfectly acceptable that they have uniques with a British flavour. This is the case for lots of civs in the game (Germany has reference to germanic tribes and the HRE in its uniques, both of which are not directly equivalent to the modern state of Germany as represented by Bismark).

It doesn't need this. England evolves into Britain, so it's perfectly acceptable that they have uniques with a British flavour. This is the case for lots of civs in the game (Germany has reference to germanic tribes and the HRE in its uniques, both of which constitute "germanic" flavours).

The other European Civs got their modern names so Britain should too.

I guess if they really wanted Elizabeth as a leader, it would have been odd to have her leading the British.

There is nothing wrong with it at all.
England is a common mistake made, the Empire wasn't just made up of the English.
Welsh, Scottish and Irish aswell and it would cover alot more.

One thing we can say for sure, they are introducing really interesting and creative abilities to this new civs

@Wil and Scot get back on topic or take it to some private messages.

Moderator Action: Please report posts you have a problem with and let the staff handle it. This is not really appropriate.

Where can I find the exact information about the Ikanda unique promotions? Do the Zulu units get these automatically when built or not?

England is a common mistake made, the Empire wasn't just made up of the English.
As an ambassador for all Irish people everywhere I hope that any 'British' civ that exists does not encompass the Irish. Some of us worked very hard on not being British.

I'm glad the Zulu are back, though I almost got a bit of a "don't blame us" vibe when they stress how much the fans wanted them back. Though I'm not that keen on more war civs given how much of it there already is, I think I can make an exception especially because this actually sounds like something that I both might enjoy and fear in the hands of the AI. Seems like it might make up more for their tactical inefficiencies.

I'm British, so I'm aware of the erroneous labeling of Britain as England by others (particularly Americans), and vice versa. However, as Elizabeth was explicitly a leader of the English, it would seem inappropriate to label her civilization as Britain. Also, with the Celts in the game taking the names of Welsh, Scottish and (presumably) Northern Irish cities, it would pose a problem of overlap having the British (which must certainly contain Edinburgh as a city, among many others).

This is why I'm OK with the current situation.

We could either have had:

1) an English civ with explicitly English UA + UU/UB (such as longbowmen, and perhaps some UA bonus for great writers due to Shakespeare) and leader (such as Elizabeth or Henry VIII).

2) a British civ with explicitly British UA + UU/UB(such as redcoats, ship of the line and the current UA) and leader (such as Victoria or Churchill). Although this would have caused problems with the Celts city list.

3) a mix of the two, which obviously must make the choice of using the title England or Britain.

Currently we have 3), with the England designation. This eliminates the crossover of cities with the Celts, and also allows for a nice mix of cultural flavours of both Britain and England, which in turn adds more flavour to the game as a whole.

Edit: and sorry for going off-topic.

As an ambassador for all Irish people everywhere I hope that any 'British' civ that exists does not encompass the Irish. Some of us worked very hard on not being British.

I'm glad the Zulu are back, though I almost got a bit of a "don't blame us" vibe when they stress how much the fans wanted them back. Though I'm not that keen on more war civs given how much of it there already is, I think I can make an exception especially because this actually sounds like something that I both might enjoy and fear in the hands of the AI. Seems like it might make up more for their tactical inefficiencies.

Ireland was British for centuries and Northern Ireland remains British.

Regarding the Zulu UA, it has been alluded to the fact that their bonus might only last until Gunpowder. I cannot remember which of the many articles/videos had that. I hope it will be so, otherwise I won't want to face the Zulu carpet of doom in the end game.

I'm British, so I'm aware of the erroneous labeling of Britain as England by others (particularly Americans), and vice versa. However, as Elizabeth was explicitly a leader of the English, it would seem inappropriate to label her civilization as Britain. Also, with the Celts in the game taking the names of Welsh, Scottish and (presumably) Northern Irish cities, it would pose a problem of overlap having the British (which must certainly contain Edinburgh as a city, among many others).

This is why I'm OK with the current situation.

We could either have had:

1) an English civ with explicitly English UA + UU/UB (such as longbowmen, and perhaps some UA bonus for great writers due to Shakespeare) and leader (such as Elizabeth or Henry VIII).

2) a British civ with explicitly British UA + UU/UB(such as redcoats, ship of the line and the current UA) and leader (such as Victoria or Churchill). Although this would have caused problems with the Celts city list.

3) a mix of the two, which obviously must make the choice of using the title England or Britain.

Currently we have 3), with the England designation. This eliminates the crossover of cities with the Celts, and also allows for a nice mix of cultural flavours of both Britain and England, which in turn adds more flavour to the game as a whole.

Edit: and sorry for going off-topic.

The Celts could easily still remain, just make them Irish based with Dublin as the capital and Irish cities. Ireland is the only remaining Celtic nation in the world.
And as I am Welsh, hardly anyone considers themselve Celtic let alone Welsh, they make Sheep jokes and are quite racist towards Wales even thought they are infact "Welsh".
Scotland has a few Celts but many prefer being British aswell.

Men of Harlech needs to play whenever Shaka declares war on Elizabeth/Boudicca/William(?).

Not impressed by the civ design. Doesn't seem like one that would make you play differently. Experience and lower maintenance are better in all war situations, Impi seems too strong with an extra attack that won't lose it health, but it doesn't change at all how you use the unit and a barrack ub with a bonus to units (in comparison to the Russian Krepost with a 'peaceful' bonus) means that you won't need more than 1 to 4 of it, you know in your production city. Seems to me they just created this civ due to fan demand and didn't put much thought into the gameplay of it.

Moderator Action: Please keep the discussion related to the Zulu Civ in Civ 5, this is not the place to converse over the England/Brittan distinction

So, am I correct in reading the Impi special ability as effectively being Double Strike from Magic: the Gathering?

Its pretty hard to justify the Zulu's UA. It seems very, very powerful indeed, but I'll attempt to.
Half maintenance on melee units? Ok maintenance doesn't tend to be that big of an issue anyway, and its only for the melee units, not ranged, or cavalry. On the other hand, its already double the German -25% maintenance UA, but that will probably be changed.
As for the bonus xp, I originally read it as they get +25 xp for all units (on creation). Which would be very OP, like having a barracks and armory in every city. But I now see that its +25% xp for every kill. I mean, that's not too powerful, its basically like a free level every 4 levels. And if a unit gets killed before it can gain enough xp, the ability wont be worth much.

The UB bonus vs gunpowder is actually very fitting historically, seeing as the Zulus beat off the British, who had rifles, with spears. Bonus to flanking is also good only when you have more than one unit attacking a single enemy unit, similar to how the impi attacked simultaneously to overrun the British troops.

Although I do agree that the Zulus seem to be having their cake and eating it too. Being able to have a big army would be fine, and being able to have experienced units would be fine too. But BOTH? kinda stretching it, dont'cha think? (Not to mention their UB compounding the effect :( )

TBH I think we wont know if their too tough until we actually play the game. :D

So, am I correct in reading the Impi special ability as effectively being Double Strike from Magic: the Gathering?

Nice reference, but not exactly ;). I doubt it will actually do double damage, the initial ranged attack will probably do less damage than the secondary melee. Am I correct in thinking that they will both have to be against the same unit? As opposed to the chu-ko-nu's double shot ability.

Top Bottom