Spending delegate votes on choosing host

Sporally

Prince
I'm currently playing an exciting game with Venice which is my first game on an interesting difficulty after trying half a game on an easier difficulty.

An AI player has just reached the industrial era and I guess that is why we have to choose a host. I was asked to make a proposal just a couple of turns before for the Second Council of Athens. Now I have two delegates for choosing the host, but it says Second Council of Athens. I have a couple of questions for this and need a fast answer as I don't want to proceed before I've got the answer so I don't mess it up - espically for my first question:

1) If I spend my two delegates on this, will I have any delegates for the Council itself, or will I have to abstain to keep my votes for the Council?
2) Greece currently have 9 votes for the Council. The proposal has been made, but will that switch the votes for the second Council or just for the third? I presume the proposals won't be changed.

I'm currently playing an exciting game with Venice which is my first game on an interesting difficulty after trying half a game on an easier difficulty.

An AI player has just reached the industrial era and I guess that is why we have to choose a host. I was asked to make a proposal just a couple of turns before for the Second Council of Athens. Now I have two delegates for choosing the host, but it says Second Council of Athens. I have a couple of questions for this and need a fast answer as I don't want to proceed before I've got the answer so I don't mess it up - espically for my first question:

1) If I spend my two delegates on this, will I have any delegates for the Council itself, or will I have to abstain to keep my votes for the Council?
2) Greece currently have 9 votes for the Council. The proposal has been made, but will that switch the votes for the second Council or just for the third? I presume the proposals won't be changed.

Host/World Leader elections are separate (special sessions) from the resolution sessions. Spend your delegates.
I'm not sure I understand your second question, so I'll leave that to someone more experienced.

The World Congress Host vote is a "special session" that is separate from the regular voting for resolutions. In other words, the delegates you use to vote for the host will be available to you for the next vote, and the previous proposals aren't affected by this. I don't really understand your second question, but the reason Greece has 9 delegates is because when the World Congress first upgrades, City-State allies start providing 1 delegate each to the civ to which they are allied. When the next vote happens, on the resolutions that were previously proposed, the amount of delegates may have changed based on possible changing alliances.

This kind of reminds me...is there any way to jockey for votes to become the host, or is every AI always just going to vote for themselves?

This kind of reminds me...is there any way to jockey for votes to become the host, or is every AI always just going to vote for themselves?

Send a Diplomat (spy) to the capital of the civilization you wish to influence. Wait for him to begin schmoozing (sic :lol: ). Once said schmoozing has been enacted, open the trade window for that civilization. Click the dropdown for "World Congress" and choose which option you want. I believe you get the number of delegates that your spy is ranked (1 for recruit, 2 for the next level, and three for max-level spy/diplomat).

I love espionage.

Edit: you can only do this ONCE per civ per session. Choose carefully, and take into consideration what the other civs are already predisposed to do (you can schmooze for any WC initiative).

Send a Diplomat (spy) to the capital of the civilization you wish to influence. Wait for him to begin schmoozing (sic :lol: ). Once said schmoozing has been enacted, open the trade window for that civilization. Click the dropdown for "World Congress" and choose which option you want. I believe you get the number of delegates that your spy is ranked (1 for recruit, 2 for the next level, and three for max-level spy/diplomat).
Yeah, but none of the options for a special session actually show up there, so you can't trade for votes to make yourself the host.

I *think* that it's impossible to do for the Host vote, since delegate trades are locked while a vote is going on and the host vote happens immediately. Someone should double-check this though.

Yes you can, I've done it myself . . . at least, I'm fairly certain that I have. Now I'm gonna have to play another game to find out, haha :crazyeye:

Edit: perhaps I'm confusing my own schmoozing of the CS's for delegates. Now I'm not really sure at all, but I'll check in my next game.

It looks like it won't matter if you spend your delegates voting on yourself. Alex will win, in my experience, the AI spends all delegates on themselves, so the one with the highest number of delegates will be the host. It's best to use your delegates to support the one that will be host as it gives you a positive modifier for "supporting" them (they will become host anyway so why not?!)

But yes the delegates you use for choosing the host will only affect that special session. You will still have your delegates for the next proposal.

Alex and his dang city states. Makes you glad there are Civ's like Venice and Austria.

I tried t take Siam's roel as host away from them, but we were tied at 11 votes each. He kept the host seat, so apparently the current host wins ties.

If that's the case, I like it not. The host already gets a vote bonus, so letting him win ties is too much.

If you can't vote yourself into host position immediately, it's definitely worth voting for a low-vote AI civ. If you can make them win, then the extra host votes won't make becoming host even harder next time around.

You can make other civilizations vote for you to be the host if you've liberated them. In my recent awesome Brazilian game, I liberated Susa (last Persian city left, I conquered Persepolis + Pasargadae and made peace) and Jenne from the Aztec Rapists and they (Persia and Songhai) both voted for me to be the host instead of Periculous Poland

You can make other civilizations vote for you to be the host if you've liberated them. In my recent awesome Brazilian game, I liberated Susa (last Persian city left, I conquered Persepolis + Pasargadae and made peace) and Jenne from the Aztec Rapists and they (Persia and Songhai) both voted for me to be the host instead of Periculous Poland

OK. I figured it was something pretty severe like that. Guess it's time for me to liberate Assyria.

Ups, I meant if I somehow make someone else the host (for instance the Iroquois) will that change the number of votes for the Second Council of Athens or just for the First Council of [city name I can't remember :crazyeye: ]?

It looks like it won't matter if you spend your delegates voting on yourself. Alex will win, in my experience, the AI spends all delegates on themselves, so the one with the highest number of delegates will be the host. It's best to use your delegates to support the one that will be host as it gives you a positive modifier for "supporting" them (they will become host anyway so why not?!)
Unless you can make the second place holder the winning by supporting him ;) Won't you get a positive modifier if you go with one that won't win, but just so that you can get a positive modifier?

Well yes, I just used Alex as an example. The primary thing is dont vote on yourself unless you have a chance at winning, the positive modifiers for supporting another civ are worth those delegates going to waste otherwise

Top Bottom