Toni (12)
amh52 (13)
Niamor (14)
Beta (15)
JMaltman (16)
Cornelius Sulla (17)
cds0528 (18)

Welcome to The Iliad

This is a Pitboss game for players to give their best possible game.

All aspects will be active including barbarians and diplomacy with the minimum of rules.

A sixteen-hour timer will be employed.

A test server will be available to sort out any connection problems. (see notes 1 & 2)

Players will be advised of the start time 24 hours before the beginning of the game.

CivStats http://www.civstats.com/ will be used for notification of turns.

I acknowledge the advice of several players, especially the game hosts, the oob and Gfletch.

Set up

Number of players: 18
Civilizations & Leaders: Random (see note 3)
Difficulty level: Noble

Settings

Map: Fractal
Size: Huge (see note 4)
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Era: Ancient
Speed: Epic
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Resources: Standard

Options

Victories

All

Multiplayer

Simultaneous turns
Take over AI
Turn Timer 16 hours

To join the game

Interested players are invited to join the game by following the instructions below.

1. Post in this game thread.

2. PM me your email address.

Rules

Absences

Absences for four or more days, six or more consecutive turns, effectively ninety-six hours, should be notified in advance either by PM. It is a players responsibility to check that their communication has been acknowledged; if it has not been acknowledged then the player must rename themselves in the game by adding the letters ABS in capitals to their player name so that there is no possible way it may be missed. Ideally a substitute player should be found but a player may elect to have the AI run their civilization.

Missed turns

Missed turns for four or more days, six or more consecutive turns, effectively ninety-six hours, without notification will result in immediate replacement of the human player by an AI player and by a new human player as soon as one becomes available. Once replaced by a new human player the original player will not be able to take their civilization back.

Outages

Notice of planned outages will be posted ahead of time on the game thread. If an attempt to enter the game fails and there is no planned outage wait fifteen minutes and then try again. If further attempts to enter fail check the game thread to see if there is an outage and if there is no notification then advise by PM. Unplanned outages will be notified on the game thread as soon as possible after any player advises that the connection is down. If a reload is needed it will be from the most recent save and a notice will be posted on the game thread.

Reload requests

If there is a failure to connect due to a problem originating from the server then a reload may be requested. This should only be done if a player thinks that they will miss their turn without a reload. The reload will be from the most recent autosave.

Grievances

If you have a grievance please advise privately by PM. Give other players the benefit of the doubt and wait to hear their side. In any dispute requiring adjudication a decision will be made in the best interests of the game and will be final.

Notes

1 The test server will be re-started prior to the beginning of the game.

2 When leaving the game please exit to the Main Menu first and then leave rather than exiting directly.

3 Please ensure that your computer has the capacity to handle a huge game in the modern era.

4 Civilizations will be allocated on a random basis with three Civilizations held until 3700 BC. Regular players will note that there are no rules about declarations of war before a certain date or double moves. This is deliberate in order to keep the rules simple and to avoid policing as much as possible. However, in case anyone is unfortunate enough to loose their Civilization before 3700 BC they may have a second chance, as the AI will run three Civilizations until this date. If more than three people have been eliminated the first to be invited back will be the first to have been eliminated and so on. If any Civilizations are unclaimed after 3730 BC they will be allocated to the players on the reserve list on a first-come first-serve basis.

I'd love to play with a random leader. :D

When do you plan to start? That's my only potential issue - I'm away from the 16th-21st, available to start on the 22nd. So I'd love to be in from the start, and failing that - put me 1st on your reserve list and I'll join in at 3700.

I'd like to join please,but will be on holiday from 22nd May to 6th June.

I can arrange sub or have AI run my civ for 2 weeks.

Just to avoid confusion the game is set up as random civilizations, which means that the program selects the civilizations and leaders.

When you enter the game for the first time If Huayna Capac is available you may have him assuming, of course, that he has not already been taken. :)

I'd like to play. I'll take the Inca leader (can't remember his name....)

I would strongly suggest that you get a sub for the early stages of the game as it slows things down quite a lot if all the others have to wait for one person but I do realise that we are in summer, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, and vacations are just something we will have to accept.

I'd like to join please,but will be on holiday from 22nd May to 6th June.

I can arrange sub or have AI run my civ for 2 weeks.

I am timing out. I will try again in a few minutes. I tried again and next stop is restarting the computer and if that does not wr=ork, then I might need to ge out of this game, unless their was an outage with the server.

There was no outage.

I set up the test server to try to identify these kinds of problems. :crazyeye:

I recall that we had this problem previously when I was initially setting up the program. I think that you were having a conflict with a screen saver and a firewall the first time you entered; interestingly you did not have problems after you had entered for the first time.

I have now switched the screensaver off and I suggest that you try again as others have been able to get in. :)

I am timing out. I will try again in a few minutes. I tried again and next stop is restarting the computer and if that does not wr=ork, then I might need to ge out of this game, unless their was an outage with the server.

There was a conflict between the screensaver and the firewall; a problem I had noted previously but thought I had fixed. :crazyeye:

So I have turned the screensaver off, saved and reloaded the game.

classical_hero, who had a similar problem has now succesfully entered the game and I see while I am writing that you have too! :D

I will leave the screensaver off for the rest of this turn. Perhaps I will leave it off permanently.

B. ;)

Hmmm, I am not able to reach your server Bolkonski...is it still up?

Top Bottom