New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Indeed, Dachs, this looks great. Thlayli seems to be interested in everything I am interested in. However, I could also be into the challenge of the Shen. This is, of course, assuming you start the game at a convenient time for me -- which is most-likely an unwise assumption.

Looks tremendous, Dachs. I haven't been so excited for something since...well, since the last DaNES. I'm very interested in the Selks, as you know. The Batroi and Namarini look good too, though I suppose I'd rather be playing to type there.

Shen or Wei Liang sound fascinating, as do the Western Commanderies.

Two questions:

* Which character "Shen" is the "Shen" dynasty? Is it 深, 神 or 申?

* Who is in possession of the Imperial Seal?

* Which character "Shen" is the "Shen" dynasty? Is it 深, 神 or 申?

* Who is in possession of the Imperial Seal?
深, and "it has been lost since the Wei conquest of Chang'an from the Qi in 184", respectively.
@Dachs: Mind if I ask what the PoD is? It seems very fascinating.
I wrote an abbreviated TL in the alternate history thread (there are some errors in it unfortunately), but it boils down to the Seleukid Empire winning its war with Rome in the 190s and 180s BC. After fighting a series of extremely costly wars from the mid-220s onward, Roman manpower was very badly depleted, and the Romans were unable to prevent a Hannibalic coup in Qarthadast and a renewed series of Gallic invasions. Rome itself was sacked and eventually Italy broke up into a series of regional leagues. The Seleukids, instead, became the world-bestriding superpower until the Empire was broken in half by civil war around the turn of the millennium.

Would have gladly taken Uar had they been available. But alas, it seems I will have to settle for expressing interest in Yancai *grumble grumble*

OR Areia. Whichever one you'd rather have me take.

Very interesting, Dachs!

One question on a tangent, what font do you use on the map? I'm looking for one that looks nice at small scales.

This is another general idea for stats, more than being an actual declaration of restating DaftNES 2. Too complicated??

Antalyan Empire
Command Points: 3 (Stability: good, but decreasing)
Treasury: -75 (Credit limit: -350)
-
1st Power: Bazilevs Demetyr I (Rationalist, Benevolent Despot)
2nd Power: High Council (Rationalist, Progressive, harbours Hellenic Nationalism)
3rd Power: Municipal / Regional Governors (Law & Order, Civil Peace)
4th Power: Mayors / Landowners (Capitalist, harbours Phosism)
5th Power: Urban Scum (Criminal Underground, harbours Dark Cults)
-
Cultural Ideals (4/6): Rationalism, Patriotism, Egalitarianism, Orhadism
Suppressed Ideals: Phosism, Theosim, Republicanism, Hellenic Nationalism, Steppe Nationalism, Dark Cults
Tech Specialities (6/7): Steam Power, Artillery, Explosives, Chemistry, Architecture, Engineering
Other Specialities: Logistics, Secret Police, Banking System
-
Domestic Economy: +205 (medium tax: agriculture, small industry, heavy industry)
Exports: +50 (low tariffs: metal goods, wooden goods, dyes, wines, furs, ornaments, gold, antiquities, literature)
Imports: -75 (medium tariffs: silks, spices, grain, fruit preserve, sugar, textiles)
Army Balance: -150 (good supplies, good training)
Navy Balance: -50 (good supplies, adequate training, some privateering)
Loan Payments: -5
Turn Balance: -25
-
1st Rank: 10 Imperial Armies*** (Musketeers, Shock Cavalry, Shock Artillery)
2nd Rank: 20 Fixed Garrsions / Urban Militia** (Pike&Shot, Light Cavalry, Light Artillery)
3rd Rank: 20 Auxillaries* (Tribal Horse, Camelry, Tribal Skirmishers, Saboteurs)
1st Sail: 5 Imperial Battle Frigates***
2nd Sail: 5 Coastal Steamships***
3rd Sail: 15 Auxillary Frigates**
3rd Sail: 15 Light Sail Flotillas*

(Each * denotes 5 gold needed to expand this type of Rank / Sail)

This is another general idea for stats, more than being an actual declaration of restating DaftNES 2. Too complicated??

Antalyan Empire
Command Points: 3 (Stability: good, but decreasing)
Treasury: -75 (Credit limit: -350)
-
1st Power: Bazilevs Demetyr I (Rationalist, Benevolent Despot)
2nd Power: High Council (Rationalist, Progressive, harbours Hellenic Nationalism)
3rd Power: Municipal / Regional Governors (Law & Order, Civil Peace)
4th Power: Mayors / Landowners (Capitalist, harbours Phosism)
5th Power: Urban Scum (Criminal Underground, harbours Dark Cults)
-
Cultural Ideals (4/6): Rationalism, Patriotism, Egalitarianism, Orhadism
Suppressed Ideals: Phosism, Theosim, Republicanism, Hellenic Nationalism, Steppe Nationalism, Dark Cults
Tech Specialities (6/7): Steam Power, Artillery, Explosives, Chemistry, Architecture, Engineering
Other Specialities: Logistics, Secret Police, Banking System
-
Domestic Economy: +205 (medium tax: agriculture, small industry, heavy industry)
Exports: +50 (low tariffs: metal goods, wooden goods, dyes, wines, furs, ornaments, gold, antiquities, literature)
Imports: -75 (medium tariffs: silks, spices, grain, fruit preserve, sugar, textiles)
Army Balance: -150 (good supplies, good training)
Navy Balance: -50 (good supplies, adequate training, some privateering)
Loan Payments: -5
Turn Balance: -25
-
1st Rank: 10 Imperial Armies*** (Musketeers, Shock Cavalry, Shock Artillery)
2nd Rank: 20 Fixed Garrsions / Urban Militia** (Pike&Shot, Light Cavalry, Light Artillery)
3rd Rank: 20 Auxillaries* (Tribal Horse, Camelry, Tribal Skirmishers, Saboteurs)
1st Sail: 5 Imperial Battle Frigates***
2nd Sail: 5 Coastal Steamships***
3rd Sail: 15 Auxillary Frigates**
3rd Sail: 15 Light Sail Flotillas*

(Each * denotes 5 gold needed to expand this type of Rank / Sail)

Well, they look a bit complicated, but could be interesting.

Very interesting, Dachs!

One question on a tangent, what font do you use on the map? I'm looking for one that looks nice at small scales.
It's Tahoma, bolded. It works all right, I guess. Could probably have added a shadowing effect though.

Really interesting/cool.

Does "low tariffs" in the Exports column refer to the tariff levels foreigners are levying on Antalya's goods?

I... Need to rethink that whole area! I wanted to work in a simple trade balance, so you can see how your economy can be shrinking from too many expensive imports. But, any dutys / tariffs would always be positive to the treasury. And export taxes are likely to be very unpopular? So I think 'trade balance' or somesuch would be better.

It's Tahoma, bolded. It works all right, I guess. Could probably have added a shadowing effect though.

Thanks Dachs, will check that out!

Working on a NES starting in 1861, to start sometime mid-future (whenever SKNES dies)
I'll post what I have so far soon.
Don't worry, SKNES will still run its course.

I've got time on my hands. I'm thinking of doing another game set in the lands south of Varica, where factions from four different cultures struggle for supremacy. Players would all be part of a same cultural group, but with lots of possibility for variation. Would people prefer to play as Hunton tribes (the same as the Sunta, so very similar to Varicans) or as the Bronze Men, who control squabbling city states.

The game would be much smaller in scale. Instead of controlling vast swathes of territory or large tribal confederacies, they would control a signal city or tribe. I've decided to make the population more dense though, so a population of about 50,000-100,000 for each player would be normal.

I've got time on my hands. I'm thinking of doing another game set in the lands south of Varica, where factions from four different cultures struggle for supremacy. Players would all be part of a same cultural group, but with lots of possibility for variation. Would people prefer to play as Hunton tribes (the same as the Sunta, so very similar to Varicans) or as the Bronze Men, who control squabbling city states.

The game would be much smaller in scale. Instead of controlling vast swathes of territory or large tribal confederacies, they would control a signal city or tribe. I've decided to make the population more dense though, so a population of about 50,000-100,000 for each player would be normal.

While I would participate for all two of the updates you produce in any future NES you make due to brand loyalty, if I must depart from the Hrafn I would actually prefer doing either 1) players playing as Fulanti tribes soon after being scattered by Hroth I or 2) Thune city-states; just for variety sake. But of the two options given, I suppose my vote is for Bronze Men, again for variety sake.

Top Bottom