Tier List

MKElderGod

Warlord
Sticky this. I'm surprised we haven't created one by now.

My opinion on the list

Zulu
Aztec
China
Rome
Greeks
English

We gotta work together to make a real list.

I think China and Rome rank higher than the Aztecs, and the Arabs rank higher than the English. A good China/Rome player could beat a good Aztec any day of the week. As well, the Arabs are probably the best offensive civ in the game, and are 100% better than the English.

This is an old and useless discussion. It is not possible to do a rank like this. Sid himself said that he wanted all Civs to feel overpowered when you play them. However, we all know that there is some kind of consensus around some Civs being better in MP games than others, but I will not even comment on that because I think it is a silly discussion.

The English seem to have a lot of potential through out all eras. Monarchy allows you to get some early GP (Most likely 2), Being able to work dye from the start could give you the tech lead, and get a knight rush out to possibly win the game very early. Also the archers will allow you to expand without worry until riflemen. The plus 1 naval combat will allow you to travel the seas with no match(unless Spain is present). The plus 1 on Hills is whatever in my book. Than the naval support doubled is a powerful tool in the modern era.

Warrior Rush, Capture 1 AI Capital, Archers, Expand (taking as much Dye), Knight Rush (pretty much will happen before AD).

-Whatever Great People you get hopefully a city flipper and a great builder are the best to get.
Great Culture guy for CITY FLIPPING and a GREAT Builder for Samurai Castle.

This is an old and useless discussion. It is not possible to do a rank like this. Sid himself said that he wanted all Civs to feel overpowered when you play them. However, we all know that there is some kind of consensus around some Civs being better in MP games than others, but I will not even comment on that because I think it is a silly discussion.

Sid isn't God. Also there are civs better than other ones bottom line. You dont want to contribute than dont shizer on the topic.

BTW I didnt put the Arabs on the list because I personally cant get a flow of powerful attacks with them. From what i understand they are a power house in the ancient era due to Religion and free mathematics. Than the plus 1 horsemen/knight.

Top tier
Zulu
Chinesse

than
American
Aztecs

Spanish
English
Arab (if you can rush at the beginning if not they really sucks)

Lets make general guidelines.

What can we use to evaluate civs.

I think how well a civ can tech, expand and rush are important guidelines to follow. Any suggestions?

Lets make general guidelines.

What can we use to evaluate civs.

I think how well a civ can tech, expand and rush are important guidelines to follow. Any suggestions?

My suggestion would be to evaluate them based on how good they are to use for the four different victory types. What else can you use? In other words, you were missing how well a Civ is in creating Great Persons.

Ive got a couple of Ideas whos on the top of the list.

China
America
Zulu
Rome
Aztec
Not in any specific order

Rome
Americans
Germans
China
Spain

Eygpt
Greek
Aztec
Arab
Zulu

England
Japan
India
Mongolians
Russians
French

China
Zulu
Americans
Spain
Aztec

Romans
English
Arabs
Japanese
Greeks
Indians
Egypt

Germans
Russians
Mongols
French

The potential of the Germans is not recognized by this community. What a shame.

I like the Germans, and don't really think they are that bad. I used to think they were a one-trick-pony because of their unit promotion bonus, but I really think their early +1 production from forests is very powerful. 1/2 cost barracks is nice too. They can hit really hard, but sometimes they are a little slow to get things going and get left behind by faster techers.

I know Dynadan has them as his favorite civ, Blitzkreig2000 on PS3 is really good with them too. I've had some really fun games with them. Again, this is another civ that is a little harder to use, and some maps don't really give them a chance. They can upgrade all those elite units are really do some damage, but going overboard with that bonus leads to a lot of German players losing. A great leader is extremely powerful with the Germans though, anytime they get one of those, watch out.

MK, you put the English, Japanese, and the Indians in your bottom tier. I can understand somewhat for the Indians, but they are more powerful than most people think. Religion after 5 techs and access to all resources can be quite powerful though. The English are a solid all-around civ, and they can get those knights faster than most civs, coupled with solid early defense and high early culture. Acess to dye makes them great early techers too. I know lots of people that have them in their top five.

the Japanese are average/above average. they are easy to use, so a lot of players think they are more powerful than they really are, but they aren't bad by any stretch.

I usually don't like these kind of threads, mainly because no one ever agrees, everyone has their favorites, and usually someone will argue to the bitter end that all civs are created equal, which most expirienced players don't agree with. I think most players agree on a few civs that are usually strong despite what map is being played. then there is a muddled middle grouping of civs that are just as powerful sometimes or have their good qualities compared with the chinese, zulu and americans. Usually most people agree that the French, Mongols and Russians are the worst, with a few other usual suspects ending up in the bottom tier.

I like all the civs, though I cringe when I get french, russians, or mongols sometimes. But usually like the challenge. The game gets boring just playing the same couple civs over and over again. I do have some civs I use more than others: Spanish (by far the most, everyone's gotta have their fav), Americans (stupid powerful on 99% of maps), chinese (only when playing against top zulu or chinese players, or if i'm lazy or drunk), english (been using them more and more), and Indians (because they require lots of skill and adaptation to succeed, games can go from any direction depending on the resources in my cities).

I like the Germans, and don't really think they are that bad. I used to think they were a one-trick-pony because of their unit promotion bonus, but I really think their early +1 production from forests is very powerful. 1/2 cost barracks is nice too. They can hit really hard, but sometimes they are a little slow to get things going and get left behind by faster techers.

I know Dynadan has them as his favorite civ, Blitzkreig2000 on PS3 is really good with them too. I've had some really fun games with them. Again, this is another civ that is a little harder to use, and some maps don't really give them a chance. They can upgrade all those elite units are really do some damage, but going overboard with that bonus leads to a lot of German players losing. A great leader is extremely powerful with the Germans though, anytime they get one of those, watch out.

MK, you put the English, Japanese, and the Indians in your bottom tier. I can understand somewhat for the Indians, but they are more powerful than most people think. Religion after 5 techs and access to all resources can be quite powerful though. The English are a solid all-around civ, and they can get those knights faster than most civs, coupled with solid early defense and high early culture. Acess to dye makes them great early techers too. I know lots of people that have them in their top five.

the Japanese are average/above average. they are easy to use, so a lot of players think they are more powerful than they really are, but they aren't bad by any stretch.

I usually don't like these kind of threads, mainly because no one ever agrees, everyone has their favorites, and usually someone will argue to the bitter end that all civs are created equal, which most expirienced players don't agree with. I think most players agree on a few civs that are usually strong despite what map is being played. then there is a muddled middle grouping of civs that are just as powerful sometimes or have their good qualities compared with the chinese, zulu and americans. Usually most people agree that the French, Mongols and Russians are the worst, with a few other usual suspects ending up in the bottom tier.

I like all the civs, though I cringe when I get french, russians, or mongols sometimes. But usually like the challenge. The game gets boring just playing the same couple civs over and over again. I do have some civs I use more than others: Spanish (by far the most, everyone's gotta have their fav), Americans (stupid powerful on 99% of maps), chinese (only when playing against top zulu or chinese players, or if i'm lazy or drunk), english (been using them more and more), and Indians (because they require lots of skill and adaptation to succeed, games can go from any direction depending on the resources in my cities).

I like the English but ive been having problems getting access to dye in alot of my games. To me the english require a production city for knights and at least 1-2 cities with dye and maybe libraries, to get to feud quickly.

With the germans ive been consistently getting 10 triple elite knight armies ready by 1000 ad. This is only with 3 cities. Ive been doing other strategies with them where i got 20 triple elite knight armies ready by 600ad-1000ad with ten + cities. This one works when I horse rush. I dont do this if there are better horse rushers.

Japan is a good civ but I dont see there sea tile advantage kicking in until your expansion is done. Sometimes I think expanding 10-15 cities is pointless with them. A few coastal cities are strong with teching and growth but all in all alot of other benefits come out stronger. Cermonial... Who cares.

Indians are good dont get me wrong. But there tile dependent. Tiles really kick in medieval times.

getting those upgrades with the germans is nice if you can pull it off, and they can usually repel rushers with their offensive units. I just see a lot of german players going a little overboard with the strat of upgrading their elite units. I had a game earlier this week where a player had about 7 knights armies at around 700AD, but I was rolling in with tanks, and when he realized that my tanks weren't taking damage from his knight attacks he quit. I like to balance the unit promotion thing with a little more more expansion and really making the +1 production from forests work for me to try to stay up or lead the tech race. 10 unit armies will do the trick almost everytime, but just often not fast enough. So fewer armies and faster tech is what I go for. But admittably, I don't use the germans that much.

as for the english, usually you have to find a city to hammer bank in. Usually that is London, if you've got enough forests. But basically beelining for feudalism while building a barracks in a production city, then hammer banking in that city will lead to an early knight army or two. Then next tech i get after feudalism is religion, then I switch all cities to gold and start spamming knights from all my cities. I can usually get a few knights armies before 0 AD, which is usually fast enough to beat others before they get pikemen. Finding dye is pretty key, and some maps just don't want to give you it. But I can usually find at least a few cities with dye, then I have no problem getting to feudalism fast enough. But even if the knight rush doesn't work (I try to judge how effective it will be before getting religion and switching cites to gold), they are usually in good enough shape tech wise to do just about anything.

tanks at 700 ad... impressive.

chinese players will usually get them faster than that. But it's not that uncommon. Usually with just about any civ you can get tanks before 1000AD without any huge swings of luck.

If you are getting them before 500AD, then you need a few things to go your way. But I've had tanks by 100AD in MP, but you can get them sooner in SP with the right situation.

Someone in ffa is in the top ten with the germans.

edit
Also I really just started playing ffa, I come to the conclusion zulus arent that good in FFA because good human players can stop there rush. I wouldnt considered them top tier only in head to head.

Top Bottom