Space 5 - Old hands can be newbs too, getting back in the game

a space oddity

Deity
GOTM Staff

In a bid to get back into playing Civ, some of us old hands want to try and get our heads around Civ V. What better way do do this than start up a brand new SG! :D

Before we start I would like to invite some discussion here first, since milage in experience with this game will vary. So for the time being there is nothing fixed about this game as yet, other than it being Civ V!

I will send out invitations to players who have played in my SG's before, but I think there will be room for new ones too, so if you are interested in joining please let me know. Be warned about two things though: 1. We will probably be jumping in at the deep end, so although none of us know what we are doing we will play one of the higher levels, and 2. My SG's used to be notoriously slow in progress! :coffee:

Roster:
a space oddity
mad-bax
TedJackson
AlanH
leif erikson
ainwood

Is this the looney express? If so then I guess I'm in the right place. :)

As far as Civ V experience goes it's really simple, I haven't any! :eek:

But as you'll probably remember I never let ignorance get in the way of an opportunity to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting AI. :lol:

So here I am. I'm completely Mac-based nowadays and I have the Steam "Civ V Gold" (incorporating G&K) installed. I understand that this version should play nice with the PC version but if not then I could probably set up a Bootcamp partition and play the windows version.

Anyway it's nice to be back among friends and if it wasn't before lunch I'd lift a glass in celebration. As it is I'll just have a sip of my coffee.

Ted

Hi there, golden oldies :wavey: Can another rusty old player with zero Civ5 experience join in? If so, please put me down for a few turns. Be warned, though, at 70 and counting :old:, I'm on borrowed time. Will this game finish before I do?

As another Mac player, trying to support the Mac community here, I have both Steam and App Store versions, both with Gods & Kings and other DLC, and both patched up to date. They are identical right now, and both the Mac versions are save-file-compatible with the Windows version. I prefer not to run Steam, so I think I'll give the App Store version a whirl with Space's test file. If a patch happens, and that version falls behind, I should be able to switch back to Steam.

1. We will probably be jumping in at the deep end, so although none of us know what we are doing we will play one of the higher levels, and 2. My SG's used to be notoriously slow in progress! :coffee:
Would be glad to join in the fun. Glad to hear the comments above as this is the time of year RL bites pretty hard, at least for another 2 to 3 weeks.

Jumping in at the deep end isn't too bad.

Have a PC up to date with vanilla, G&K and all the dlc, so ready for whatever you choose.

Should be interesting.
Glad to see Alan with a mouse in his hand. :)

Welcome aboard the looney express Leif!

I'll add you to the roster. We can move it around as and where needed to work around RL. It will be Vanilla Civ V since I don't have G&K or any of the DLC.

I have been looking through the Civs and I think Montezuma could be fitting for this crew, but I'm open to other suggestions.

{delurk}

It's great to see this team together again. :banana: All that's needed now is Karasu reappearing like Gandalf. I'm too extreme a Civ III diehard to play--in a nutshell, didn't like IV, didn't even buy V--but I'll follow the game with great interest.

Numbering this game 01 does rather flush the glories of Space 1-4 down the memory hole, though. How quickly they forget, kids these days, bloody texting, etc. :lol:

{lurk}

Hello everyone. How great to have this team back together again. :goodjob:
A little bit older, and I wonder if we are any wiser? (Note: A rhetorical question)

Unfortunately I can't take the first set of turns as I loaded the game up and couldn't work out how to found a city - so if someone could just get that bit out of the way...

Maybe we can seek out Karasu. Last I heard he was living in Stevenage in the UK. How many Italian rocket scientists can there be in Stevenage?

Nice you see NP still around and playing extreme SG's :king: - I've been lurking...

MB

[edit] I agree that we should try one of the more difficult levels - maybe emperor or equivalent, and because we are learning we could perhaps attempt a building game with a later finish like Space or Diplo - if they are still VC's. (If you think I'm kidding - I'm really not. I have absolutely no clue at all)

I have the Civ V Gold edition - which probably means there is an "I am a nerd" badge that you have to make yourself somewhere in the box. :think: wonder where the wife keeps the safety pins...

{delurk}

It's great to see this team together again. :banana: All that's needed now is Karasu reappearing like Gandalf. I'm too extreme a Civ III diehard to play--in a nutshell, didn't like IV, didn't even buy V--but I'll follow the game with great interest.

Numbering this game 01 does rather flush the glories of Space 1-4 down the memory hole, though. How quickly they forget, kids these days, bloody texting, etc. :lol:

{lurk}

You're right, Space 5 it is, I just thought we should evade any suggestion of having experience playing a V SG. Ah, so good to be called a kid though! :rockon: :lol:

I will play the first turns this time, M-B, but first I will create a save file for us to verify versions. I will visit my dad today first; we have a bi-weekly task of clearing the brambles and nettle jungle that is currently his garden. :ninja: So expect it somewhere 12 hours from now.

... I have been looking through the Civs and I think Montezuma could be fitting for this crew, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Sounds like a perfect recipe for some early war-mongering...

Sorry, that should have read: an ideal scenario to evaluate Monty's new UU & UA :lol:

Ted

It loaded for me in the App Store version. If I have the right save, you have played 4000 BC, settled Athens, and moved the warrior next to the Atoll. You are researching Pottery and building a scout.

I have attached a save game to the third post, please check whether your civ V setup can load and play it.

Loaded fine with Steam's Civ V Gold (G&K) and looks to be OK. No faith items that I could see.

I ran 10 turns, met one CS and popped a ruin for Pottery. Currently researching Mining and building a Warrior.

Here's the save:
View attachment Space 5 test fron G&K BC-3600.Civ5Save

Space, if you could check that this loads and is correct then we should be OK :)

Nice to see AlanH playing and NP lurking. A big hi to leif as well.

Looking forward to the big event now.

Ted

OK, so it was Steam and its F12 key. All set to go. Any thoughts/preferences on civ, map etcetera?

Attachments

• 2013-05-27_00002.jpg
    2013-05-27_00002.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 418
Top Bottom