Gamespy shutdown: how it affects Mac players.

lindsay40k

Emperor
I don't actually know what's happening. I load up online multiplayer, and I seem to be in a Gamespy server segregated from my friends playing in Windows. I don't see an update yet on my Steam, and if there is one I've not installed one before so don't know what to look for or what to do. I gather some Mac players run the Windows version through something called wineskin (I think) and they might want to raise issues as well. So whilst I've got more questions than answers, I thought I'd lay out a thread for anyone else with answers (or more questions) to chip in on.

EDIT: Aspyr have responded to a question about Civ 4 for Mac on their Facebook, stating that they 'don't have any plans to update the game'. So from now on, it's Windows version only for online multiplayer.

Attachments

• ishot-127.jpg
    ishot-127.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 997
Well... I'm in the same boat as you. It seems at this point in time that mac users have basically been screwed. Seems like multiplayer is just gone for mac users now.

If you have the Steam version, it seems there may be four options here:
  • Use a LAN
  • Try “Internet Games”
  • Try the older, original version
  • Make a Wineskin wrapper
LAN has always worked well for me, if playing with someone locally. (Maybe there’s a way to tunnel to make this work also?) I tried “Internet Games” with my friend who has a PC at home and we were able to see each others’ games (Steamworks?) but wouldn’t connect. (Technically this was with Civ IV Col).

Not sure I’ve tried the original version yet (right-click in Steam and choose “Properties,” click on the “Beta” tab and you’ll see the option for unsupported original version, which might just behave differently). The Direct IP connect may be possible and work, too.

Otherwise, you can always make a Wineskin wrapper, install Steam for Windows, and play in that.

Could Macs and PCs ever play email games together?

Mac and PC save file formats are compatible, so they should be able to, as long as there are no mods involved. But you may have to manually move the emailed save files to and from the correct Saves folder on your Mac.

Mac and PC save file formats are compatible, so they should be able to, as long as there are no mods involved. But you may have to manually move the emailed save files to and from the correct Saves folder on your Mac.

It seems that was confirmed in another thread I started. Does anyone know how to move to the save folders in windows 8? That's what my brother has and when he tries to open a PBEM game it crashes. For full explanation please see my thread here (and feel free to reply there too if you would prefer):
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=541847

Top Bottom