Mod issues

Jurassic King

Chieftain
So for quite a while, I've been experimenting with mods. Most of them just add units, a new civ or balance something. But I've always run into a problem: Whenever I create a game with more than one mod this always happens. The game will work fine the very first time, with the vocal introduction, regardless of how many mods I use. But after I save, exit and re-load the game, one of two things happen based on how many mods I use.
1: If it's only like 2-4 mods, It'll remove all mods from that save game but one. All the removed mods won't appear in the list of mods used during that save.
2: It doesn't say any mods have been removed in the list if I use a bunch. However, when I try and load the game, the music will freeze, the screen will go black, and it'll crash.
Every. Single. Time.
This really frustrates me, because I can't use more than one mod at a time! Please help!

When you go to reload a modded save, are to going through the Mods menu to verify that all of the required mods are loaded and then proceeding forward to Single Player and then Load Save? Or are you trying to load the modded save from the main menu (as if you were loading an unmodded save), without going through the mods menu?

Tonight when I went to play a game I started last night, it wouldn't load, saying I didn't have the proper mods installed. When I investigated a little closer, about half of my mods had vanished. Has anyone had this happen? I checked the folder and they are gone; and I have three folders in there that I didn't have before. Any thoughts?

When you go to reload a modded save, are to going through the Mods menu to verify that all of the required mods are loaded and then proceeding forward to Single Player and then Load Save? Or are you trying to load the modded save from the main menu (as if you were loading an unmodded save), without going through the mods menu?

I go to single player and load game as if I was loading an unmodded save.

Yeah, that doesn't work. You have to go through the Mods menu (as if you were starting a new modded game), make sure the right mods for your save file are checked, and then continue forward, through the Single Player click box, and then load your modded save from the ensuing menu.

And if you load the right mods, but then back out of the mods menu to return to the main menu, the mods you just loaded will be unloaded.

And if you load the right mods, but then back out of the mods menu to return to the main menu, the mods you just loaded will be unloaded.[/QUOTE]

I don't get what that means.
And do you know what could be happening when my mods disappear from my save?

What do you mean when you say mods disappear from your save? The mods are not included in your save, and the game will not automatically load the right mods when you try to load a game from the main menu, without going through the mods menu to make sure all of the right mods are loaded.

What I mean by the piece you quoted is that we get frequent reports from folks who have downloaded some mods, but can't start a game with the mods. Invariably, what they are doing is going into the mods menu to mark the mods they want to play, clicking Next to get to the screen that says "Single Player" at the top and lists the mods they have selected, and then they are backing out of the mods menu to return to the Main Menu -- they aren't recognizing that the "Single Player" at the top of that second mods screen is a clickable menu button. If you click out of the mods menu to return to the main menu, all those mods that you so carefully selected are never loaded -- and if you then select Single Player from the main menu and set up a new game, you are setting up an unmodded game -- and if you try to load a modded save, the game will not load the right mods (it may load some, but not all). I suspect that is what you are experiencing.

If you want to play a modded save, you should ALWAYS enter through the mods menu, verify that the right mods are selected, and keep going FORWARD in the menus until you get to the screen that allows you to load your modded save.

I'm aware of the single player option you go to after the mods screen. I always make sure to use that. But sometimes, I'll load a game with multiple mods, and when I load the game later, all but one mod will disappear and those mods will no longer be in use.

If you have gone through the mods menu and verified that you have enabled each mod used in the modded save file, and then proceeded forward through the menus to load the save, how is it that "one mod will disappear"? Are you saying that mod no longer exists on your computer? If so, how did you enable that mod in the mods menu?

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I've attached some screenshots to illustrate my point. The first screenshot is a list of the mods I enabled for a new game -- you will see that I picked 6 random mods that appear near the start of the alphabet -- nothing special about these mods. I then created a turn 3 save and exited to the Main Menu.

I then loaded that modded save from the Main Menu without going through the Mods menu. The save will load, but as the second screenshot shows, when that game is saved, it says only 2 of the original mods are loaded -- 4 mods have "disappeared", in the sense that the save file doesn't recognize/won't load those mods.

For this reason, you should never try to load a modded save from the Main Menu -- some mods may load, others won't and the result is a mess.

Attachments

• First Screen.jpg
    First Screen.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Second Save.jpg
    Second Save.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 57
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I've attached some screenshots to illustrate my point. The first screenshot is a list of the mods I enabled for a new game -- you will see that I picked 6 random mods that appear near the start of the alphabet -- nothing special about these mods. I then created a turn 3 save and exited to the Main Menu.

I then loaded that modded save from the Main Menu without going through the Mods menu. The save will load, but as the second screenshot shows, when that game is saved, it says only 2 of the original mods are loaded -- 4 mods have "disappeared", in the sense that the save file doesn't recognize/won't load those mods.

For this reason, you should never try to load a modded save from the Main Menu -- some mods may load, others won't and the result is a mess.

Ah! That's what I meant by disappear. They stayed in the computer's files, but weren't in the game when I loaded it. I think I get it now. Load modded saves in the Mods section, and I won't have this problem.

Top Bottom