What boardgames did you just play?

Eldritch Horror - I never played Arkham Horror but I can't imagine how Eldritch could be streamlined from that. Granted, we had seven players, but we were struggling to finish the first phase for about four hours before a few people had to leave. It just. Kept. Going. I think part of the problem was that we weren't really able to synergize with other very well. We noticed too late that the Politician and the Psychic were able to trade items. Maybe next time. So far it looks like Fantasy Flight's usual array of "move your dude, get a condition card for no reason."

Arkham's pretty straightforward - ruleswise, it's basically Talisman save that the players cooperate rather than compete (though you have fixed rather than random rules) - the same strength, craft and luck type stats that work the same way, the same drawing random cards when you land on certain spaces (and some with shops et al. that you can choose instead), combat works much the same way. It's less combat-focused, as monsters show up in fewer event cards, but not a great deal less random.

Oh, they'll loathe Archipelago's endgame. I like it but it's not for everyone's taste. One: the game is shorter than you think, often lasting less than ten turns on short to medium modes. Two: the winning conditions are kept secret. The trick in this game is not just to build an engine, but to guess what other people are going for and try to make the most out of that. This can still feel too random for some people, especially if someone who wasn't playing very well wins anyway.

I'm probably more opposed to the random elements than they are - and they like Arkham more than I do, for all that it's basically Chthulu Yaghtzee. They rather like the Catan expansion, save that we were introduced to it in a run that gave us particularly tedious rolls and a lot of pirates. One of them insists that the expansion is better with good rolls/set up. I think if it had got rid of the pirate and knight gimmicks the commodities and tech ideas had some merit, but weren't implemented well - again, too much randomness involved in who draws development cards when, where the original game made that a strategic choice, and all you really have control over building is tech buildings and cities that only increase the bonuses you get if you happen to get lucky.

And while I'm a fan of Britannia which - while it doesn't have hidden victory conditions - does have different ones for each faction, they got bored with it before even a single playthrough (much to my disappointment).

Does anyone here have the Avalon Hill civ board game?
If so, do you remember how much you paid?
The prices on the different amazons are crazy (150€, min.), can't find it in the local shops here, and I wonder if it could be that it's out of print...or is this normal?

EDIT: Should've used google first. Wiki says it has been out of print for years. Damn, that's a pity.

I bought a copy years ago from eBay and I've never played it. :(

I just got the 2nd Expansion (Imperium vs. Rebels) for Race for the Galaxy.

Boy, the new cards look great! Fantastic addition for development and explore strategies.
Don't think we will use the Takeover mechanic, but still - so looking forward to test the new set...

Another round of Robinson Crusoe this week. If you've ever wondered if there's a game like Jumanji in real life, this is it. You're scrabbling to survive round by round, phase by phase while you try to complete the objective. I'm not sure if there's much one can do against the overwhelming sequence of horrible events that you endure throughout. For anything you do--exploring, building, hunting, gathering--you have to roll dice to see if you're wounded, have to draw an event card, and/or if you're even successful. It can be frustrating if you're expecting a clear strategy to surface. The creator's motto on game design is "boardgames that tell stories", and oh boy, does this game tell stories. We plowed on through right until a co-player died halfway through the night because our shelter couldn't withstand the tropical storm. Before then, we were privy to a thousand bits of nasty business. It's a chewy, dark, earthy alternative to Tales of the Arabian Nights. I wouldn't necessarily call it much of a game in the traditional sense, but wow, what an experience.

Quantum - A particularly clever chess-like game where you get to change your pieces on the fly thanks to those pieces being dice. Each side has a power that you can use once per round, with lower numbers being more powerful in combat, but higher numbers being faster in tile movement. One pip is a slow-moving battlestation that can move only one space but gets a free attack against an adjacent opponent. A six-pip is pretty weak in combat but can move six spaces. And why not, says the developer, have some power-up cards while you're at it. The icing on the cake is the modular board tiles that can be endlessly rearranged to make all sorts of scenarios. Slickness in a box.

Ohhhhh god tonight was amazing.

Impulse - Talk about a surprise. Impulse uses cards to create a fluid board that you can scoop up and add to your hand. Phase order manipulation, mining for victory points and boosted abilities, area control, combat, and probably several more game mechanics are actually handled by...the number of symbols on the card and the card's color. Truly breathtaking how much game has been squeezed out of very few elements. It's like Race for the Galaxy fell over on its side and became a physical maze. You'll see what I mean once you play it. And you will play this. Please, you must.

Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends - Ahh! My first Vlaada Chvatil play! I've heard and read so much about this designer's games and drooled over what could be. Now it has happened and I'm not disappointed. I already love abstract games, so the Magic-style summoning just makes it amazing. I was quite surprised by how much of a brain-burner this is because of what the theme adds, thanks to the four "schools" that make each style's cards distinct. By the time we were done, we had to sit back in our chairs and stare off into space for a couple seconds. Our brains were slightly fried. Once you know what's going on and what you need to do, the turns become as thick as meat stew. So much goodness in this game.

Quarriors - Eh, this one's okay. Using dice for a deckbuilder is a clever idea. I think the concept goes only so far, however. It's possible to have half your turns or more be non-starts because you didn't roll an optimal amount. Might be better if there were a variety of sizes for dice (d4, d6, etc) so that your odds aren't so flat.

Dead of Winter - Oh wow. One of my co-players said he'll be dreaming about this after our session today. I can't blame him. As fiddly as it is in components, this is a beautiful exercise in cooperative play. The possibility of dying with just moving characters around alone adds a freight train of tension. In practice, it probably is rather standard in play, which is why the Crossroads cards and the secret objectives are so important. Here we get our story, our decisions that make the session as dramatic as The Last of Us and The Walking Dead. There may or may not be a traitor; it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the other group leaders are on to something, and that something may not have the colony's best interests in mind--your best interests, of course. An incredibly solid entry for Plaid Hat, and I'll be looking forward to future Dead expansions and Crossroads games.

Alhambra - An oldie but a goodie. It basically is Glen More with a simpler mechanic. Pick up some colors, buy a tile, place your tile in your Alhambra. If you have more of a certain color when it's time to score, you get more points. We only played the base game, which is fine. I hear the expansions don't really add a lot.

Camel Up - Finished the evening with betting on stacked racing camels. It's a nice little game that both kids and adults can play. You can push your luck by betting on who will be in first or last early in the game and see what happens. Although you can manipulate the track by placing a tile that speeds up or holds camels back, the game largely depends on what dice you roll and when you'll bet on results. Hey, it's fun.

I like Alhambra, but I wasn't aware that there were any expansions. Something to check out later, I guess.

Dungeon Petz - Vlaada Chvatil continues to entertain. A worker placement that's jazzed up by a great auction mechanic and a ridiculously fun theme. It's a game that dares you to buy into the conceit before you fully know the rules, since otherwise the rules would be too abstract. Get some monster pets, get some pens, pray to God you get a good hand when you play out the pets' behaviors. Somehow I won despite only figuring things out halfway through. I suspect my blocking of the meat supply and the subsequent perfect scoring for a pet show got me through. Well, and all the artifacts I picked up...

Edit Three Days Later: Nope, I won because I cheated! Power-ups for pens only grant one free resource, while I was thinking it gave infinite free resources for that type. I also needed a worker saved to satisfy that need, which also didn't happen. It was everyone's first game but I think that brighter minds will truly prevail next time.

Valley of the Kings - A deck builder that's self-contained and doesn't need expansions. We might have found the Holy Grail, and it was in Egypt all along. Turns out when you add set collection and enough card action diversity, you get a very tight game where the decks regulate themselves. Recommended to play at least once.

CO2 - One you get through some vague definitions that probably make more sense in the original Italian, you have a fairly interesting semi-coop hiding within some basic actions. The game looks almost too simple from far away. Up close you have constructions that give just different enough advantages, a track for said constructions that can be capitalized by anyone, a victory point track that can combo back on itself, the ability to split income into victory points and/or money, a shared pool of workers that can only give benefits once enough people have thrown their hats in...these decisions are then turned against each other once you start debating whether to keep the game alive or boost your progress. Too often those decisions are pitted against each other, with you scrambling to figure out which is which. Oh yeah, and the world is gonna fry if you're too slow about it.

Played Robinson Crusoe the other day. We played a 3 player game and got totally owned by the game! It was the first scenario in which you need to build a fire so that a ship can see you in the last 3 turns. The complication is that autumn and winter are setting in so you need the wood to build shelter and protect yourselves from bad weather.... also food and stuff :(

The rules were a bit vague on certain specific stuff (not that I recall what right now) but we house ruled it on thematic basis so that was mostly ok, though I have a feeling we actually made it harder for ourselves!

Next time I hope to get past turn 5 (of a possible 12)!

Dead of Winter - Oh wow. One of my co-players said he'll be dreaming about this after our session today. I can't blame him. As fiddly as it is in components, this is a beautiful exercise in cooperative play. The possibility of dying with just moving characters around alone adds a freight train of tension. In practice, it probably is rather standard in play, which is why the Crossroads cards and the secret objectives are so important. Here we get our story, our decisions that make the session as dramatic as The Last of Us and The Walking Dead. There may or may not be a traitor; it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the other group leaders are on to something, and that something may not have the colony's best interests in mind--your best interests, of course. An incredibly solid entry for Plaid Hat, and I'll be looking forward to future Dead expansions and Crossroads games.

Watched the review of this on shut up and sit down. Looks lots of fun. I'm really enjoying my co-op games at the moment.

Played Robinson Crusoe the other day. We played a 3 player game and got totally owned by the game! It was the first scenario in which you need to build a fire so that a ship can see you in the last 3 turns. The complication is that autumn and winter are setting in so you need the wood to build shelter and protect yourselves from bad weather.... also food and stuff :(

The rules were a bit vague on certain specific stuff (not that I recall what right now) but we house ruled it on thematic basis so that was mostly ok, though I have a feeling we actually made it harder for ourselves!

Next time I hope to get past turn 5 (of a possible 12)!

Yeah Robinson Crusoe is very unforgiving. I have played several times with friends and we haven’t won even once. :mad:

As they say over at Bay12, „losing is fun“, though.

Last week we've been at a gaming convention in Amersfoort.
Have now a Smallworld expansion, which allows to play with 6 players, and got a cheap civilization like game, which doesn't look very exciting (well...must have been a reason why it was cheap). Additionally I got from my friends as late birthday gift the leaders expansion for 7 wonders and a wonder pack.
Haven't played all of it yet, but we played instead a round of Kingdom Builder and Race for the Galaxy Among the Stars.

Race for the Galaxy Among the Stars is basically a 4-player, scifi-verison of 7 Wonders, where placing the cards on the desk plays a role (you place them in squares, some need energy and need to be next to a power reactor, some get bonuses, if other cards are around, etc.).
Plays pretty nice, but might need a bit more diversity, not sure.

Kingdom builder is...no idea. You try to build/expand an area of your houses on a hex map, but before each round you draw a card, which tells you on which type of ground (farm land, hills, canyons, etc.) you can build (which is spread over the map). Additionally there are some "objectives" per game, e.g. more points for building next to mountains, and similar things.
Place good as well. Maybe not the most imersive though.

Unrelated to all that: Just been stuck for 2.5 hours in the latest rule set of D&D. We're going to try it out with an more experienced DM in the following weeks.
I've constructed right now a lonely, horny half-orc warrior...mmhh....

Recently played a few rounds of Archipelago with some friends.

I like the setting/idea of the game, but must admit it didn't feel balanced. After the first game everyone tried to get a 2 stone tile and spam churches to avoid crisis effects, removing most of the cooperative aspect of the game. I guess they are not as powerful if you play more aggressively and force others to build cities, so maybe it was just group think.

I also didn't like how the end game conditions were tied up with the win conditions. I think it would be better if they were on two different cards to make that aspect a bit more random - after the 3rd game we already knew what end condition was tied to what score goal, so we were able to deduce some player's combination rather quickly. Also the end conditions felt imbalanced. Games with "X churches" were usually over around turn 3-4, while the very first game had something "X cities", "empty bank" and "3 empty ressources" and thus lasted FOREVER.

Still, the overall feel as you explore and develope the board is quite nice, so we will probably play it again regardless of the things mentioned above. :)

I also played a few games of Netrunner.

First I was a bit disappointed that I lost as Corp three times in a row - then we noticed we had overlooked a rule (we didn't use the "if the runner can't discard cards he is dead" thing :D). After we "fixed" that the game turned into a giant match of bluffing, lying and daring hacking attempts. I think the balance of the cards isn't perfect - a lot of them seem very situational and some are clearly better than others, more or less must-have includes in any deck - but since there is a limit of how many non-faction cards you can include, I guess it is fine.

Strong theme, decent deck building even with the base game, but I guess it will get REALLY good if you buy the expansions. The LOTR game basicially had the same issue - base game was okay-ish, but once you had more cards the amount of viable decks incrased A LOT. So I can certainly recommend both games. :)

Race for the Galaxy is basically a 4-player, scifi-verison of 7 Wonders, where placing the cards on the desk plays a role (you place them in squares, some need energy and need to be next to a power reactor, some get bonuses, if other cards are around, etc.).
Plays pretty nice, but might need a bit more diversity, not sure.
Squares? Energy? Reactors? Did you play with that Alien Artifact expansion that has that mini dungeon? :confused:

As for diversity: If you like the game, getting the first two expansions is a very good idea. The first one shifts the focus away from the basic "produce/consume x2" strategy, while the second one makes ALL the strategies viable (even stuff like exploration, Gene worlds or Uplift focused ones). It also reduces the randomness factor at the start of the game by allowing you to choose between two starting worlds after you have drawn your starting hand. Very neat. :)

Kingdom builder is...no idea. You try to build/expand an area of your houses on a hex map, but before each round you draw a card, which tells you on which type of ground (farm land, hills, canyons, etc.) you can build (which is spread over the map). Additionally there are some "objectives" per game, e.g. more points for building next to mountains, and similar things.
Place good as well. Maybe not the most imersive though.
Kingdom builder felt really odd to me.

The gameplay is based purely on geometry and the rules have no connection to the theme whatsoever. To be frank, I think that game would work much better as a purely abstract experience where you just had different colors instead of terrain. As it was, I always had that nagging feeling of "no, that is SO wrong" while playing the game. But maybe that's just because I studied geography...

Anyway, the game did also feel rather simplistic to me. Not necessarily a bad thing, since Dominion wasn't a very complex game either. But it felt like it had a lot more randomness and strategy involved. I don't think we have playedKingdom Builder ever since. :(

Squares? Energy? Reactors? Did you play with that Alien Artifact expansion that has that mini dungeon? :confused:

*lol* sorry, mixed the 2 scifi names I had in mind up, meant Among The Stars.
Race for the Galaxy was recommended to me at the game fair, therefore I still had that name in mind.

Kingdom builder felt really odd to me.

The gameplay is based purely on geometry and the rules have no connection to the theme whatsoever.

That's absolutely true :yup:, but I like the mechanics :dunno:.

I got Caverna the other day. So far I only played one trial solo game. I like the theme and the look of the game a lot and as for all the wood..... :drool:

It was quite fun solo but as with most board games (IMO) the best part is playing with friends so I'm hoping to convince some to play soon so I can form a proper opinion of how the game works. I have to say that at the moment it feels like the manual is one of the clearest and best written I've come across.

Has anyone got anything to say about Twilight Imperium (not that I think I'll be able to get anyone to play it if I brought it)? Or Last Will? Since CGC have decided to distribute there own games in europe rather than Z-Man (including Tash Kalar) I might finally be able to get a copy!

This might turn into "What boardgames did you just buy". Merchants & Marauders and Fantasy Flight's Civilization in one week.

And our little group keeps growing! There are now usually 3-4 people at the coffee shop each week, and it's never the same people. I'm bettin' on 5-6 regulars by the end of the year.

granddad1982 said:
Has anyone got anything to say about Twilight Imperium (not that I think I'll be able to get anyone to play it if I brought it)? Or Last Will? Since CGC have decided to distribute there own games in europe rather than Z-Man (including Tash Kalar) I might finally be able to get a copy!

Uh, it's long? I don't have it but I've heard you're not living until you've played one TI game at full player count, which is easily a work day. I live close to Roseville, MN, sooo if I get the gumption to buy a big box without worrying about shipping damage...

I'm psyched about CGC doing their own thing, though, if only because I'll finally be able to play Bunny Bunny Moose Moose on this side of the pond.

I've been eyeing FFG's Civilisation for a while, but it's pretty expensive and the games would likely last forever!

Which would you recommend out of The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon?

Top Bottom