SGOTM 15 - One Short Straw

Is Toku Buddhist? How could he get to 24c with 4cpt and a revolt?
Good point. He couldn't. We'll see next turn what his cpt is. Maybe ZPV was right about the AIs startingn out in Buddhism already. If so, that changes my previous computations significantly, namely, no Creative civs and most without castles.

Does rushing Toku interfere with plans to go for an AP victory? We need him at Friendly to bribe him to convert to Christianity, so when he rushes the AP with our GE, the AP is Christian.
Rush a PRO/AGG troop-spammer, who you think might have a walls and castle?
Get Tokugawa to Friendly (while in opposing religions, no less)?
I don't know about that...

a) Shouldn't it be 5 turns, not 6, since Toku will have lost one revolting to Buddhism?
edit: and they definitely did revolt - the Approval Rating demos changed.
b) I'll have a look at the power ratings, to see what's feasible w.r.t. Castles, etc. I believe that BUFFY would throw a hissy fit if neil played with the XML like that, but I'm not completely sure.
c) At 9000, on turn 2, we're ranked 5. That means there are 5 civs with less land than us, and the average land tells us that there are 7 water tiles between them. Furthermore, we know that one of them has 3 water tiles, so the distribution has to be 3-1-1-1-1.
On turn 4, there are 26 tiles of water in the capitals' BFCs; the turn 6 ranking of 5th (coupled with the civ with 2 cities, which added 9 tiles), means that there are 6 totals civs with water in their BFC - the land leader and up to five others. This is distibuted 1-?-?-?-?-8.
So my previous assertion that only one AI was really coastal was wrong.

Question: with AggressiveAI Toku on our doorstep, how soon do we need real units? This might be set up like an AW-lite game, with us only having to defend one chokepoint.

It has to be 4 + 4*5. The only way I can think of is if he was in another religion previously.
Anything else?
Edit: golden age? I don't think you can WB that.

Rush a PRO/AGG troop-spammer, who you think might have a walls and castle?
Get Tokugawa to Friendly (while in opposing religions, no less)?
I don't know about that...
I agree on the dubiousness of rushing Toku.

To get him to friendly all we really need to do is get him to OB, then spam some Hindu missionaries. I don't think he's going to be spreading Buddhism to himself, is he? And if he's far enough from the Mahabodhi, there isn't likely to be autospread.

It has to be 4 + 4*5. The only way I can think of is if he was in another religion previously.
Anything else?
Edit: golden age? I don't think you can WB that.
Can't be GA, we'd see that in other stats. Is it possible that when you make a mod with pre-built cities, they get their culture on T0? That doesn't happen in Mitch's test but he just worldbuildered it, he didn't mod it.

We don't know that the Mahbodhi wasn't 21 tiles from T0, do we? Oops, yes we do. It was 9 tiles on T0 4000BC...

Okay, so maybe the cities we're pre-built, but the Mahabodhi was wbed in after? Wtf, I dodn't konw, but I think I remember reading in SG2, when one city was pre-built that it already had something in it on T0.

Yes, in worldbuilder, you can set the culture level to anything you like in existing cities.
(And add buildings like the Mahabodhi if you like).

edit: We'll know next turn what his cpt is. Maybe he started with Music, and built culture until his borders popped.

Found it (CFR SG2):
Interesting thing: Tokyo already has 1 culture point...
I think this has something to do with pre-building a city in a scenario.

Hang on, why would Tokyo have only 1 cutlure. :lol: Not 2? Okay, I give up, I think this is just worldbuildered culture.

EDIT: But why? Perhaps Neil just wanted to camouflage the castle(s) or something else.

FYI. Castles and walls give 2K soldiers each.

Is there any reason why I should continue for a few more turns? I will continue to explore east then north to fully explore the deer site, trying to walk on hills/forests when I can since the animals are lurking... I'll stop when the worker is built just in case we want to test a settler at size 1 variant for some reason.

I'll also assign a weight of 1 to Toku for espionage.

We only needed to decide whether to send the warrior east or west; we've done that so I'm happy for you to continue.

Question: with AggressiveAI Toku on our doorstep, how soon do we need real units? This might be set up like an AW-lite game, with us only having to defend one chokepoint.
Presumably, this analysis provides an answer. At teh very least, his capital needs to have access to two types of units stronger than an archer. What I'm a bit concerned about is the Dagger strategy, for which there is no preparation time (WHEOORHN), as I understand it. For Dagger, it says low MaxWarRand but how low is low? Toku's is 100, which is low to middling, as far as I can tell.

The other problem with Toku being connected to us is barb city spawning and more barbs in general.

Actually, the sooner our warrior explores Toku, the more likely we are to know what resources he has, when we research those techs. His capital will expand again on T24, most likely.

OK, so do you propose that I head NE, N with the warrior to explore the deer and then start heading east-ish to find Toku?

EDIT: We'll have a quick warrior #2 to explore west.

Well, I think you should make sure to uncover our eastern land first (there might be a potential HE site with deer+cows+all those hills, although we don't have the tech for it yet), but then going to find Toku sounds good.

I played the next turns. I set epp on Toku. We learned Meditation on T11, founded Hinduism and converted right away (just to make sure that we don't forget to do so at the start of the next turnset and lose the game).

IBT T10 and T11, we met Hammuragawa... :eek:
Spoiler :
And we found gold and sheep paired with the deer. :cool:
Spoiler :

Here is your Session Turn Log from 3960 BC to 3560 BC:
Spoiler :
Turn 1, 3960 BC: Delhi has been founded.

Turn 5, 3800 BC: The borders of Delhi have expanded!

Turn 10, 3600 BC: You have discovered Meditation!

Turn 11, 3560 BC: Hinduism has been founded in Delhi!
Turn 11, 3560 BC: Gandhi converts to Hinduism!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 212
  • Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 242
Two Tokugawas! What have we done to deserve this? :p
Well played, Mitchum!

If the land keeps up like this, Hunting-AH might be something we want to research soonish.
Regardless, it looks like a Rexer's map.

That lion represents a battle we don't have to fight just yet - our capital's second border expansion will show the land by the deer - mountains can see over forests and hills - and our exploring warrior can see everything else from the hill to the east of the sheep.
Let's hope that the lion runs into a japanese scout and gets eaten :p

Top Bottom