Game difficulties and winning

perr0

Chieftain
I played all iterations of Civilizations, 1 through 5. Although I could say I really played Civ 1 and 2 and now I'm taking some time with 5. Civ 3 and 4 I played a little, tried some higher difficulty level, lost, and didn't take my time to learn it.

So I begun playing Civ 5 a couple weeks ago. Started with a Chieftain (I was considering myself a newbie, since a lot has changed since Civ 2). Although I played by instinct, not knowing what to build and study, I scored a domination victory easily.

I started reading some guides on the internet and really learning what I was doing in the game.

Then I decided to move one step in difficulty and change victory type to science. I was way ahead second civ.

One step more in difficulty to Prince. Culture victory. Way ahead second.

King. Diplomatic. Way ahead.

Now I'm playing Emperor. I'm still on 100 AD or so, but I'm already second civ in score after beating the top one to ashes.

BUT, I don't think that I'm already at this level of play. There's a lot I don't understand yet and I make a lot of mistakes. So I'm wondering what's happening. I play mostly default settings, small maps (the one below standard) and usually choose a civ according to the victory I want, except my first (Chieftain) and present (Emperor) games, that were random. My strategy was pretty much the same. Right at the beginning try to conquer the neighbor civ. Since I'm playing small maps, it's usually two or 3 civs per continent. I usually get a little behind on science and culture, but I'm able to catch up later having the whole continent to myself.

So I'm wondering that maybe this is some trick that makes winning in these conditions easy and I could still be beaten in other game conditions even on Prince or King level.

Have any of you tried this small maps, early warmonger strategy? Is it real or have I just been lucky so far?

early warmongering isnt that good in bnw
general strategy is go for tradition, tech to philosophy to build national colledge asap, then plant another 2 cities and feed the capital with caravans.
this will give you the best start almost in every situation.

early warmongering isnt that good in bnw

Ya I forgot, taking a capitol is SO BAD.
Smaller maps are easier in my opinion. Are you doing standard map with standard amount of civs/cs? Also conquering a whole civ can hurt diplomacy, but other than that yes, that is what I do to win.

Ya I forgot, taking a capitol is SO BAD.
Smaller maps are easier in my opinion. Are you doing standard map with standard amount of civs/cs? Also conquering a whole civ can hurt diplomacy, but other than that yes, that is what I do to win.

I'm doing small maps (one smaller than standard). I try to kill them all before meeting other civs from other continents, so there's no warmongering penalties as long as you don't backstab them.

There's a lot I don't understand yet and I make a lot of mistakes.

In Civ V, Emperor actually is a very small step up from King.
It's Emperor to Immortal that is a big step up when the AI gets a free starting worker. (But Deity is an even bigger leap when the AI gets an extra starting settler)

I might try one of these two options after the present game. Replay the present game and don't wipe other civs on same continent, playing peacefully until later in game (although being Aztec urges you to kill) or creating another Emperor game on a Standard map and see how it works.

Thanks a lot for your insight, guys.

Top Bottom