Why is Civ 5 so addictive?

Prozac1964

Warlord
<snip> I have never played a game that I was so utterly powerless to hitting that damn Next Turn button. It's like overwhelming phenomena. It's like a fairy sprinkled magic dust on me at the beginning of a session, and I teleport to another universe and I don't emerge until four hours later, with carpel tunnel wrists, numb feet, and my butt hurting from sitting in the darn chair! Yet I still don't want to shut the game down.

What is the draw on Civ 5? There are lots of awesome games to play but this one....

I have a few lackluster ideas, but I need the higher Civfanatics gurus:worship: to rain down the answer to this mystery. :bowdown: Here are my thoughts:

1. Civ 5 is so addictive because you sense a great deal of power by pursuing any type of win.

2. See point 1.

3. That's all I got. :dunno:

Come one come all, share your thoughts on this baffling addiction to Civ 5! :eek:

Moderator Action: Please do not avoid the autocensor when posting and please do not joke about illegal drug use. Thanks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

A tonne of civs to play that suit different play-styles. The fact you can try out different play-styles with any civ. Also no matter how good you get there is still another level to go up to, except when you are a Deity god. The game is almost infinitely moddable.

This game is addictive, yes, and I'm not sure why exactly. I very seldom finish games. When things start to snowball out of control and all the other civs in the game perma-hate me for winning, I get bored real fast.

But then I keep starting up new games.

This game is addictive, yes, and I'm not sure why exactly. I very seldom finish games. When things start to snowball out of control and all the other civs in the game perma-hate me for winning, I get bored real fast.

But then I keep starting up new games.

Same...done it for years, every edition. Wouldn't change a thing.

For me there's three major elements

1 - early game, uncovering tiles from the fog of war and finding ancient ruins is like using a national lottery scratch card. What's underneath that tile! What about the next one! What freebie will i get from the goody hut!

2 - making tile improvements , putting up new buildings, is like "levelling up" in an MMO, making your city stronger. One more improvement and you'll be perfect! And another, and another...

3 - War! The thrill of destruction. Leave a swath of damaged enemy units, destroyed units , pillaged tiles and captured cities in your wake..

The constant replayability. Nothing is ever the same. The entire game can be completely customized to how you want it to be. You can play for roleplaying your civ (I must be exactly like China was historically!) or you can meta game your civ (I must find the most efficient way!) You can come up with your own narratives and story for your world history, and it's that feature, that keeps me coming back.

I like geopolitic stuff and strategy games so this game is a perfect match for me!!!
I have never played one game so long... (about 1,5 years and haven't stopped..)

I love building an empire and fighting my way to the top.

No competitor. MMO, first person shooters, roleplaying games, RTS are based on a concept that can be copy. Civ is alone since 1991. EU is not so close in gameplay. Closest in galactic civilisations series but there are not as deep as civ 1. When my kids monopolize my computers, I use the old one who can only run civ 1 (and i'm a crap on civ 1).
It's like Football Manager, no real competitor (cited in 35 divorces in 2012 in England, how many for civ ?).

It's because it's fun to achieve a goal.

How many times do you say to yourself, 'I'll stop playing when:

A) I build X wonder
B) I found the next city
C) I conquer a neighbor

It's reinforcing to have a goal, then achieve that goal.

At the core, Civ is very good at making you feel in control, successful and powerful. What else do you need?

You always have something going on when playing this game. Just a few more turns to complete a wonder, just a few more moves with your ship and you might find new land, just one more turn and your artillery will be in position.. its just an endless stream of small mini-goals that you want to see achieved. I think that is a very strong psychological mechanism to make you want more.

Civ 5 used to be addictive, but now there's other games out that really keeps you busy way after you become Augustus Caesar in ranking. You could always choose Augustus Caesar as a leader as well and don't have to worry about ranking.

To everyone on this thread and to the moderators as well: I profusely apologize for my inappropriate comment in my OP. I didn't know that the forum had members who were minors, and I had not read the forum rules yet. I have 5 children of my own so I can really appreciate the mods keeping this forum family friendly. :)

Again I sincerely apologize.

this is why I love it as a way to almost stay sharp. it has opened my mind as every game is different. you have to approach each situation in a unique way and you start seeing things that you weren't seeing 10-20 games ago.

I do wish we had a better AI in terms of battle and understanding hills and terrain, but we will get there. for now, Civ 5 is a game I can see playing for a really long time. until Civ 6 I guess.

Top Bottom