Favorite/least favorite aspect of Civ V?

Yeah, this bugs me too. I think there should be a distance limit to how far from your other cities you can build a new city. Similar to how you can't build one too close. But I think this limitation should be ended by some relatively early, but not first-pickable, technology - perhaps 'Pigeon-Post Communication' or something :)

Yeah, this bugs me too. I think there should be a distance limit to how far from your other cities you can build a new city. Similar to how you can't build one too close. But I think this limitation should be ended by some relatively early, but not first-pickable, technology - perhaps 'Pigeon-Post Communication' or something :)

There is a technology that ends this behavior: generally Construction and Iron Working. Unfortunately, due to bugs in the game's diplomacy system, using this solution results in every other civilization on the map hating you forever.

This bug is one of my least favorite things in the game.

The balance between levels is my favorite aspect, such a huge improvement over III/IV. My least favorite thing is that there are still basic (not scifi) gameplay features from SMAC that are missing.

For me it was the sheer impossibility of Deity. I won a few games by sticking rigidly to the gameplans set out on here but that was far from satisfying. What I wanted was a fair chance but against stern opposition. People recommended I play on lower levels but what I wanted was a sporting chance against top quality opposition. What I have done is give myself the same advantages as the ai but on deity so that they are up and running quickly and we all move on quickly. Playing on lower levels you find yourself waiting around for people to have oil etc if you don't have any. I use advance set up and aggressive/smart a.i., give myself 5 techs to start with and one extra settler and one worker. So far its been enjoyable. I don't have to follow a set path and I have some almighty battles by the industrial era. I have won victories of all types but have also been wiped out by civs who kept pace with me so its exciting as well. Sometimes I add in all the warmongers and give myself a couple of units to start as well so they don't flatten me. I know its not pure civ, but for me on deity, pure civ is just a grind.

You are not playing deity because, by giving yourself extra techs and units, you are undoing the only advantage the computer has! I really think you would find it much more satisfying to beat the game at unboosted emperor/immortal (prolly with the smart AI mod) than cheating (sorry, but I am not sure how else to characterize it) at deity.

Least favorite is getting permanently screwed up in the reputation department after invading city states. Annoying thing when civilizations on the other continent that barely made a contact with you suddenly denounce you even though the invasion took place 10 thousand miles away and had nothing to do with them. Wtf do they care?

Somewhat tied with the above is the annoying situation when you have nukes, stealth bombers and 20 modern tank units awaiting at the border of some puny civ that barely made it to renaissance and when you demand something from them, they refuse despite being outmatched like 1000:1 in terms of military.

AI sucked in civ 1 through 4 and sadly civ 5 is no different.

That's funny because I absolutely detest civilizations who take over innocent city-states and I would never do such a thing myself. I think that they're a lot more valuable to you as allies than they would be as another city in your empire. Why would you invade them in the first place?

Favourite is conquering but I also really enjoy the start of the game and finding all the civs since I always play random civs.

Least favourite is Rebels like say Shaka declares war on me early and I defend then I go conquer one of his cities or even his capital I end up going into around 10 unhappiness. So why do rebels pop up around MY capital? Why exactly are my citizens unhappy that I defended them from being killed/ Conquered? If anything rebels should pop up near the conquered cities.

The game is all about trade-offs and balance. If you want to take somebody out, that's fine, but raze the cities unless there's a strategic value to it or its a capital. Late in the game, the cool thing about conquer and raze is that you can sell the buildings and steal the artwork.

But if you want to keep the city, the best thing to do is puppet while its in revolt, and when that's over annex and buy a courthouse. Then all of the penalties will go away (except for the diplo one, the city/population penalty, and the expensive gold sucking courthouse).

I'll say The Great Library. It was made in 300 BC not 3000 BC.

It gets built way too early and of course on Diety you have no chance. It causes a ripple effect which can lock you out of many wonders until you pass the AI in tech. I dont believe this was the intent.

My favorite aspect of Civ V is imagining the "street-level view" of my nation and its cities at certain points in history; what the demographics are, what the politics and culture are like, even what kind of food and languages there are. I think it would be fun to see a mod that compiles a kind of faux Wikipedia page for your country as it evolves.

My least-favorite aspect is the frequently brain-dead behavior of the AI. Settling far-flung cities, as mentioned above. Also: Leaving non-combat units (Workers and Great Generals in particular) to die; barely even attempting to frustrate the efforts of other Civs to win; absolutely atrocious mismanagement of combat units during warfare; not settling open territory. I realized that AI must be very difficult to program, because it's universally bad in almost every game I've ever played, but it does stick in my craw.

My favorite aspect of civilization is starting out primitive and then getting up to a point where you become prosperous. My favorite aspect of the game is taking action to be prosperous. The beginning looks like you're building to become prosperous and you get a feeling that you are becoming successful at first particularly in the Deity level. However, the least favorite part is when you start to fall and lose all the prosperity that you built and other civilizations become that prosperous or even more prosperous..

Favourite: the general visual splendour of a convincing landscape

Least favourite: honestly don't know where to start out of logjams, historical inaccuracy, incomplete multiplayer, bugs and eurocentrism

edit: wait, of course, it's the actual magic that annoys me most. Insta-cloning an army with TA and then making them super-healers with FoY. COME ON.

I'll say The Great Library. It was made in 300 BC not 3000 BC.

It gets built way too early and of course on Diety you have no chance. It causes a ripple effect which can lock you out of many wonders until you pass the AI in tech. I dont believe this was the intent.

I'm not sure which early game faux pas is worse out of a stone age tribe building the Library of Alexandria just after they start storing grain, and having to proclaim a republic to build the Pyramids.

Civ has never really been trying to reflect some sort historical accuracy. It's more a flavor/theme/inspiration than anything here.

What annoys me the most in civ5 are balance issues and the boring tech tree.

What I do like are the graphics, tactical combat (to an extent) and many of the gameplay mechanics introduced (culture in Bnw, religion, routes).

Civ has never really been trying to reflect some sort historical accuracy. It's more a flavor/theme/inspiration than anything here.

The most gigantic and famous royal burial tombs in the world requiring Liberty and not Tradition really falls down on every count IMO.

I really like the unique aspects of every civ, UA, UI, etc, and they should go deeper that route for civ6, also hexes.

I hate the diplomatic interactions, they redesigned mayor aspects of the game with expansions but let the diplomacy bare bones. this game really needs a casus belli system (at least).

Favorite: 1 shotting enemy units that just embarked. lol. This makes me laugh all the time, stupid AI.

Least favorite: Getting forward settled by AI. Warmongering diplomatic penalties.

Fave. Being ahead on science - getting the wonders I want, and being able to stomp the ai if they DoW me

Honourable mention: great mods

Least: The catch-up game of higher level games.

Really Advanced Setup and Better AI are helping

The balance between levels is my favorite aspect, such a huge improvement over III/IV. My least favorite thing is that there are still basic (not scifi) gameplay features from SMAC that are missing.

You are not playing deity because, by giving yourself extra techs and units, you are undoing the only advantage the computer has! I really think you would find it much more satisfying to beat the game at unboosted emperor/immortal (prolly with the smart AI mod) than cheating (sorry, but I am not sure how else to characterize it) at deity.

Nice that you select two lines out of my entire post and ignore everything that puts them in context. :rolleyes:
I have beaten the game on deity. As I said. " I know its not pure civ, but for me on deity, pure civ is just a grind." Modding IS cheating, but so what, modding is also fun.
In fact if you can't be bothered to read what I wrote, I can't be bothered to explain it.
:deadhorse:

I really like the unique aspects of every civ, UA, UI, etc, and they should go deeper that route for civ6, also hexes.

Both good points. Really helps with the replay value for me, so much more so than III and IV.

Nice that you select two lines out of my entire post and ignore everything that puts them in context.

I think I got it correct, as I referenced your current habit of gifting yourself units, not your early legitimate Deity games.

Modding IS cheating, but so what, modding is also fun.

I agree that the point is to have fun. I don’t agree that modding is cheating! It depends on how you use the mod.

Top Bottom