What Do You Think About the Game's Leader Choices?

Really? Just...really?

If you take wikipedia eastern and western front deaths:
1.0 = one million
0.6 from western front, including the early years.
4.3 from eastern front.
However I don't think this takes acount of things like the african war.

4.3/4.9 = 0.878

If we take all axis dead we get:

5.48/6.31 = 0.868

So the 9 of 10 may not be far from the truth.
Another thing to be said is that its likley that Soviet faced axis soldiers of generaly better quality than the allied faced in 1944-45

Alexander: Debatable how good he actually was even as a military commander, a better leader for Greece would be Pericles or maybe even Philip II Alexander's father.

Wasn't Alexander technically the leader of Macedonia, who just happened to annex Greece?

If the UA is manifest destiny, then Polk should be the leader. But honestly I would prefer if Henry Clay led the U.S. In fact, why isn't this a mod yet? His UA would be the American system

Wasn't Alexander technically the leader of Macedonia, who just happened to annex Greece?

Macedonia is аn area in the current borders of northern Greece and southern Bulgaria. Macedonia as a country is something that never existed until 10 years ago.

I always thought Wu Zetain was a dumb choice for China, not because she was a wife of an emperor, and because she did nothing to contribute to China's economy.
Also I always thought William Wallace would've been a better choice over Boudicca for the Celts.

Macedonia is аn area in the current borders of northern Greece and southern Bulgaria. Macedonia as a country is something that never existed until 10 years ago.

Uh, wrong. Macedon, or ancient Macedonia, went by both names. Although it shared in Hellenic culture, it was considered separate from Greece proper due to its location on the fringe of the Hellenic cultural sphere. Also, Macedon just so happened to forcefully annex the city-states of the Greek peninsula just before it went on to challenge the Persian Empire.

Source: http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/PhilipII.html

Also I always thought William Wallace would've been a better choice over Boudicca for the Celts.

WilWal wasn't all the great shakes Mel Gibson said he was. Boudicca works for me. It's just so hard to find a leader that represents the whole of Celtic culture. I mean Scots, Ires, Welsh, Picts, etc. It's quite a varied group. Honestly, I really like the idea for Boudicca. The one woman who isn't dolled up. I mean she's kind of the figurehead for modern feminism (the "we're every bit as tough as men" crowd of hyper-aggressive types) who refuse to look deeper into who she actually was but I feel she fills a needed niche in that respect.

Also, I like her story more than WilWal's. Similar but different. Rome in her day was way more of juggernaut than England was in WilWal's day.

I have no problem with any of the leaders except Maria.

Sure, Dido's existence is dubious, and so are Theodora's and Gandhi's claims to leadership, but at least they do a good job at representing their respective cultures. They were, in fact, significant figures in those civs' histories.

Maria is nothing, the most significant event during her rule (fleeing to Brazil) barely even has her name attached to it. And it's not like Portugal lacks significant leaders, I can think of at least 5 better choices (one of which being Maria's direct predecessor).

Other than that, most leaders are really well made. I cheer every time I see someone like Washington, Napoleon or Dido in my game, they're very amusing to negotiate with, and it really feels like a proper diplomatic talk at times.

Uh, wrong. Macedon, or ancient Macedonia, went by both names. Although it shared in Hellenic culture, it was considered separate from Greece proper due to its location on the fringe of the Hellenic cultural sphere. Also, Macedon just so happened to forcefully annex the city-states of the Greek peninsula just before it went on to challenge the Persian Empire.

Source: http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/AncientMacedonia/PhilipII.html

LOL :) Don't read macedonic sources, if you want real information on the matter.
They are written by fanatics, that do not really care bout the trouth. Check other western sources better.

I generally think, that there are far too many female leaders. I guess they want some sort of divercity, but aside from the austrian and russian empress, the others do not seem to be too significant figures.

I would like another Warmonger...

Switch up Darius,....Make Persia Xerxes

I think they did a good job with the female leaders.

I find a lot of the male leaders to be rather boring or uninspired. They seem to be rather homogeneous (e.g. a lot of old, ugly bearded guys). I realize that historical leaders aren't necessarily diverse, but I think they could have done better with the portrayal or visual representation of the leaders they chose.

A few leaders with facial hair that come to mind..
al mansur
askia
casimir

A few leaders with facial hair that come to mind..
al mansur
askia
casimir

Harun al-Rashid
Ashurbanipal
Nebuchadnezzar
Pedro
Harald Bluetooth
Haile Selassie
Bismarck
Attila
Sejong
Genghis Khan
Ahmad al-Mansur
William
Suleiman
Darius
Casimir
Askia
Gustavus Adolphus
Enrico Dandolo

Technically Ramesses II has one but I think it is fake.

As an example, I feel that Ashurbanipal, Nebuchadnezzar, Casimir, and Darius all feel a little too similar to each other....

I miss Stalin, but I'm kind of glad he isn't in this game. I used to hate the fact that they would allow him, Mao, Shaka, and Genghis (Attila really pisses me off now too) to be in the game, but Hitler was off limits. And don't even try the whole genocide argument, Stalin and Mao put Hitler to shame in the numbers game, and Genghis took the whole cake! Along with most of Asia!

Nazi symbolism of any kind is illegal in Germany even today, so including Hitler would close off the German market to Civ V. As Germany is a major consumer of video games, this would cost Firaxis quite a bit of money. This is likely the reason for Hiter's exclusion.

Top Bottom