Unexpected, and puzzling.

Gilder

Deity
Here's the situation:

I'm the Vikings, conquering the homeland continent in the late Industrial Age. Earlier, I conquered my neighbor the Americans, stripping them of all overseas possessions, save three, small, culturely-weak cities on the other continent far away, not even a sea bordering touching.

Here's the puzzle: While off on another campaign conquering the Incans to my south, one of the American cities, approxmatley one or two tiles away from any sea, flipped back to the Americans. No where near any current American cities, and starting to regain culture.

Suggestions or answers on why it flipped?

No, after shoving them off the continent, I made peace with them and took four, small towns scattered around the world. Besides, it was also producing things.

That does not mean that there were no resistors in the city. Resistors are only quelled with military units. The higher your culture is compared to theirs, the faster the resistance ends. If their culture outstrips yours by quite a bit, it can take a long time (and a lot of units) to end resistance. How long after the war ended did the city flip?

If you have any foreigners in your city, there is a chance it may flip.

If any tiles in the city fatcross are under the control of another civ, there is a chance it might flip.

I dont' think you get resistors from a town you get from peace, though I can't say that for sure.

The other possibility, since it's late in industrial ages,is that you were hit with propaganda. It doesn't happen often, but propaganda can increase the chance of a flip, or even create one.

Suggestions or answers on why it flipped?
Random number generator. As AutomatedTeller said, as long as your have foreigners or tiles from the fat x in enemy territory, the city can flip.

If you have any foreigners in your city, there is a chance it may flip.

If any tiles in the city fatcross are under the control of another civ, there is a chance it might flip.

I dont' think you get resistors from a town you get from peace, though I can't say that for sure.

The other possibility, since it's late in industrial ages,is that you were hit with propaganda. It doesn't happen often, but propaganda can increase the chance of a flip, or even create one.

I think I have uncovered instances where cities have flipped to me that did not have foreigners in them. The Inca founded them, never lost the city in a war, and it flipped to me. I had a lot of cultural power.

yes - that can happen if you have some of the tiles in that cities fat cross.

There are variants where the only way you can capture a city is by cultural assimilation. They dont' work too well on higher levels ;)

If you have a before and after save, or even just a before, upload that so we can look at it.

If there were any Americans left in that city, there is a chance of a flip. A small chance, but a chance. And with the city being checked for a flip every turn, that chance is multiplied.

In essence, "small chance" is not equal to "no chance".

I agree with Turner. If you could post a "before"save, we could probably tell you why the chance existed.

I've already finished the game (Domination victory), and other flips would happen, especially after conquering the continent. Resistance was high in large cities, so I can only surmise that is what happened with America, except they must have retain a lot of American citizens.

Top Bottom