Is the patch THAT big?! :(

NinjaCow64

Thought Bubble Thinker
Supporter
Hi all, I need desperate help. When I tried installing the latest patch/Mongolians for Civ V it told me the file was over 4GB. Since the only internet I can get has a 6GB limit per month I stopped installing a soon as I found out the patch was that big. I tried playing it without the patch, but Steam won’t let me!

The only way I can get the damn patch is if I wait for a month for my internet to reset.

My question is, is the patch really that big? It would suck if I can’t play Civ V for a month, maybe this is some Steam glitch? I really don’t know. Please help.

:(

:lmao:

I think my problem is a misspelling by the Steam Department. I think that in one area, they had a MB instead of a KB. That is a major fail.

Another small problem, AVG 2011 Anti-Viris says that two parts of Civ V in steam are corrupted. Nothing bad has happened around Civ V. So I don’t think it’s big.

:D

What craptastic internet are you forced to use that forces you with a 6 gig limit?

Anyways, no the patch is not that big, Steam is trying to redownload the whole game, this has happened to a few other people here with Civ5. Not sure exactly how to fix the problem but try the following:

Exit Steam and go into c:/program files/Steam and delete clientregistry.blob (its safe, Steam regenerates it when it starts up again).

If that doesn't work try stopping the download, right click on Civ5 in the list of games (probably on the left, I assume you haven't changed the layout) and click Properties then local Files and then Verify Game cache.

If that doesn't change it, the only other thing I can think of is uninstall Civ5 and reinstall it from the DVD and Steam should install the patches normally. Its possible that there are a couple of corrupted files making Steam think it needs to download the whole game.

If AVG starts bugging you about any of the files during this process, it might be worth it to turn it off while you reinstall. I switched to AVAST! because AVG was convinced the warband.exe file for Mount&Blade Warband was a virus >_< (It isn't).

What craptastic internet are you forced to use that forces you with a 6 gig limit?

Anyways, no the patch is not that big, Steam is trying to redownload the whole game, this has happened to a few other people here with Civ5. Not sure exactly how to fix the problem but try the following:

Exit Steam and go into c:/program files/Steam and delete clientregistry.blob (its safe, Steam regenerates it when it starts up again).

If that doesn't work try stopping the download, right click on Civ5 in the list of games (probably on the left, I assume you haven't changed the layout) and click Properties then local Files and then Verify Game cache.

If that doesn't change it, the only other thing I can think of is uninstall Civ5 and reinstall it from the DVD and Steam should install the patches normally. Its possible that there are a couple of corrupted files making Steam think it needs to download the whole game.

If AVG starts bugging you about any of the files during this process, it might be worth it to turn it off while you reinstall. I switched to AVAST! because AVG was convinced the warband.exe file for Mount&Blade Warband was a virus >_< (It isn't).

I can’t get normal broadband or ADSL at my house, so it’s either Mobile Broadband or Dial Up. (Please, not that.)

No, I think people think that it’s installing the game because someone at valve added a MB instead of a KB on the installation progress bar. I know this because:

1) My internet WOULD NOT be able to download 4 GB in Five Minutes. Trust me, I know.
2) I think that you can’t fit 4 GB on a DVD. If that was true then you couldn’t install the game with only one disk.

Oh well, a single face single layer DVD contains up to 4.7 GB, so your 4 GB can fit on a DVD. Most of games on DVD are quite heavily compressed and put on double-layer DVD, so it's not outlandish to see 15 GB games fitting in one single DVD.

I can&#8217;t get normal broadband or ADSL at my house, so it&#8217;s either Mobile Broadband or Dial Up. (Please, not that.)

No, I think people think that it&#8217;s installing the game because someone at valve added a MB instead of a KB on the installation progress bar. I know this because:

1) My internet WOULD NOT be able to download 4 GB in Five Minutes. Trust me, I know.
2) I think that you can&#8217;t fit 4 GB on a DVD. If that was true then you couldn&#8217;t install the game with only one disk.

Lame for the internet, but can't be helped. I have no idea if anyone at VALVe even handled the patch except probably to recieve the data from Firaxis and ensure its properly uploaded to VALVe's servers. I don't think they manually type in the numbers for sizes.

No idea why the hell it would say 4 gigabytes if it downloaded in 5 minutes, but since it did download then I wouldn't complain. Or are you just confusing me? Also iirc the entire game is a 4 or 5 gig download, so it definitely isn't the patch.

Top Bottom