Official System Requirements

Well Im going to my local computer shop and see what they think. Im going to ask if they believe my system would work, what they could do to my existing computer to make it work, and what they could make for me at the lowest price to play this game well

No, no, no. He was just posting the Civ 4 specs (which everyone here was complaining about 5 years ago) as a comparison.

For reference, the minimum spec Graphics cards and release dates:
Radeon 2600XT: June 2007
Geforce 7900GS: Fall 2006
Core i3 integrated: January 2010

To check what graphics card you have, right-click on the desktop, select "Properties" (This may be "Screen Resolution" in Win7), and then go to the "Settings" tab. In the box above the resolution slider, you'll likely see "Monitor on NVIDIA xxx", "Monitor on Intel xxx", or "Monitor on ATI xxx".

In short, if you bought a laptop with Intel graphics before 2010, it does not meet the minimum specs for Civ 5.

However, this doesn't mean that Civ 5 won't run. It just means it won't run well and it may not be playable.

However, the Core i3 was intended to be a new minimum for their product line so if you had a good Intel graphics card before 2010 it may as well be better than a Core 3 integrated graphics card.

In short, just download the demo and see how it goes.

However, the Core i3 was intended to be a new minimum for their product line so if you had a good Intel graphics card before 2010 it may as well be better than a Core 3 integrated graphics card.

In short, just download the demo and see how it goes.

:agree:

So your saying CiV will run on the same HW that Civ IV did?

Short answer : no, that is not what I am claiming at all.

No idea how you can interpret that into

Yeah, I too remember something along the lines of an improved engine which works as good or even better (thanks to supporting multiple cores, which Civ 4 did not) on the same HW than Civ 4 does ;)

Just out of curiosity I looked up the requirements for Civ 4

[snip]

I never really expected that to be true, but the jump is certainly more than I thought.

I was referring to a post by Firaxis/2K where they claimed that on many systems Civ5 would outperform Civ4 thanks to the new engine (multi-core support I assume, don't think that was mentioned specifically however).

Short answer : no, that is not what I am claiming at all.

No idea how you can interpret that into

I was referring to a post by Firaxis/2K where they claimed that on many systems Civ5 would outperform Civ4 thanks to the new engine (multi-core support I assume, don't thin that was mentioned specifically however).

Sorry, I guess I was too happy about the first part that I read. Didnt care about the bottom

Yes but the "on many systems" doesn't mean low end systems that ran Civ4(low end for today that is). It likely means that on middle to higher end hardware that Civ5 will scale much better than Civ4 as Civ4 was never optimized for more than a single core CPU.

CS

i am a bit confused, as to why they still state DX9.0c ... thats outdated like a million years (to speak in computer-time) ago ... still they use it as base ... strange.

Older Civ games always were lowspec, so that all the fans could run it in some way, but this sounds like a bit very over the top except the DX9.0c req ...

a) DX10 and 11 offer very little over DX9 (wonder if I get some flack for this ;) )
b) DX9 is the highest version available on WinXP

That is enough reason to keep the minimum at DX9, besides pretty much everyone else does that too, so I have no idea why this one is surprising.

Yes but the "on many systems" doesn't mean low end systems that ran Civ4(low end for today that is). It likely means that on middle to higher end hardware that Civ5 will scale much better than Civ4 as Civ4 was never optimized for more than a single core CPU.

Yes, this is how you will have to interpret it now I guess ;)

Would have to find that post again (not going to even attempt it), but it very much sounded as if whatever you were running Civ4 on would be at least as good at Civ5 on any system, even better on some, not like "higher-end systems might even benefit from the new engine, making Civ5 outperform Civ4, medium systems will have trouble and low end systems can forget about it completely" :D

Yeah well I was dumb and actually believed that they told the truth about scalability and pre-ordered it. Im gona wait for the demo and see if it will work, eventhough my cpu can run Civ 4 perfectly on high graphics Im still told it shouldnt. Well, by canyourunit.com

This agrivates me to no end!!! :mad::mad::mad:

You can't run even halfways modern games on crappy Intel integrated graphics. Unfortunate, but a fact of life. When they said 5 years they probably mean "gaming" systems from the last 5 years, and Intel graphics are unsuitable for anything more than webgames or old / really graphically undemanding games. Don't get mad at Firaxis for your not buying a system appropriate for gaming.

Anyway, if it's a desktop just go buy a real graphics card. If it's a laptop, well, you're probably out of luck.

The requirements are a little steeper than I thought they would be, but it shouldn't really be a surprise that Intel graphics aren't going to cut it.

I agree. My 2008 2.4 Ghz Dual Core MacBook Pro, with 4GB of RAM and a Geforce 8600M GT, barely surpasses the minimum specifications. With all the gameplay changes, too, I'm waiting for the demo now. And even then, Civilization V will be a questionable purchase.

Um, you're well within the acceptable requirements for Civ 5. You're fine. Read the requirements again.

it very much sounded as if whatever you were running Civ4 on would be at least as good at Civ5 on any system, even better on some

That'd be really really cool, but I'd imagine it would be damn hard to make a game with better graphics and AI that performs the same as a 5 year old game that requires less complex calculations. :) There's inevitably gonna be a bump up in requirements. Like I said above, I didn't think the bump was going to be quite this big, but up it's going to go. Just one of the downsides of PC gaming.

Um, you're well within the acceptable requirements for Civ 5. You're fine. Read the requirements again.

I know. At this point, I'm anxiously awaiting the demo. While I hope the game isn't oversimplified, some of the gameplay changes seem promising. The game looks beautiful, too. Thank you for the affirmation, as well. It makes the decision to buy the game easier.

So if I'm interpreting the min requirements correctly, it is saying if I buy a new laptop with Core i3 (or i5/i7) cpu and 4GB RAM...with just the integrated graphics (no separate graphics card)...it should run the game ?

I'm in the market for a new laptop, not a gaming PC. I'd like to be able to run Civ5 on it. Just not sure if I need to spend the $$ on a separate laptop graphics card. I see there are quite a few options for both ATI and Nvidia (ATI 5470, 5650, 5870 / Nvidia 230M, 310M).

I really don't want to buy the laptop, then run the demo and find out I have to upgrade it. I'd prefer to just buy what I need up-front.

cas

So if I'm interpreting the min requirements correctly, it is saying if I buy a new laptop with Core i3 (or i5/i7) cpu and 4GB RAM...with just the integrated graphics (no separate graphics card)...it should run the game ?

I'm in the market for a new laptop, not a gaming PC. I'd like to be able to run Civ5 on it. Just not sure if I need to spend the $$ on a separate laptop graphics card. I see there are quite a few options for both ATI and Nvidia (ATI 5470, 5650, 5870 / Nvidia 230M, 310M).

I really don't want to buy the laptop, then run the demo and find out I have to upgrade it. I'd prefer to just buy what I need up-front.

cas

If you are looking to buy a new laptop, and want to play Civ5, get one with a decent video chip. $50-100 spend here will give you huge performance boost, and the new switchable technologies mean that you won't be sacrificing battery time.

I know. At this point, I'm anxiously awaiting the demo. While I hope the game isn't oversimplified, some of the gameplay changes seem promising. The game looks beautiful, too.

I'm confident it's going to be great. Firaxis has never made a bad game.

Sure they cut some stuff, but IMHO religion sucked anyway and given how they wanted to enhance diplomacy they couldn't just let religion automatically dictate everything again.

Changing an already good thing always seems scary at first, but I am 100% confident this is going to be a classic. I probably won't even bother with the demo - when I start playing, I want to be able to go as long as I want!

That'd be really really cool, but I'd imagine it would be damn hard to make a game with better graphics and AI that performs the same as a 5 year old game that requires less complex calculations. :) There's inevitably gonna be a bump up in requirements. Like I said above, I didn't think the bump was going to be quite this big, but up it's going to go. Just one of the downsides of PC gaming.

Didn't really think they would be able to pull this off (not needing better requirements), but the jump was bigger than I expected based on that.

Well, looks like my processor and RAM at least meet the minimum. I'm a little more doubtful about my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800) and sound card. Guess I'll download the demo, take it for a spin and see how it plays.

This is kind of a drag though, that it looks like my machine will be marginal at best, if it runs at all.

Well, looks like my processor and RAM at least meet the minimum. I'm a little more doubtful about my graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 6800) and sound card. Guess I'll download the demo, take it for a spin and see how it plays.

This is kind of a drag though, that it looks like my machine will be marginal at best, if it runs at all.

NV6800 is wayyyyy below minimal specs for Civ 5. If you list all your HW here we can tell you if its worth to upgrade just few parts or if you will need new PC.

Top Bottom